The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Anyone else having problems with the buttons not working sometimes

jo

• OB-6 Player
Hi Guys

Just started having a problem with my OB-6 where I press the "manual" button and nothing happens. I sometimes need to hit it 3 or 4 times and the light goes on and it switches to manual mode. Also started happening with the other buttons for unison and numerical buttons for selecting patches.

Also sometimes I hit the button and the red light goes on for a tiny flicker of a millisecond but dosn't engage. I keep having to press it several times for it to engage.

Thanks Guys

Re: Anyone else having problems with the buttons not working sometimes
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 10:15:59 PM »
Yes. It's been mentioned before on this forum. DSI used questionable quality TACT switches which can become oxidized with time. The solution is to do exactly what you did: press the temporarily faulty buttons vigorously several times, and the problem should disappear...for a while.

Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller), Prophet REV2-16, DeepMind 12, VC340

kris

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
Yes. It's been mentioned before on this forum. DSI used questionable quality TACT switches which can become oxidized with time. The solution is to do exactly what you did: press the temporarily faulty buttons vigorously several times, and the problem should disappear...for a while.
Thanks for confirming. I think this is disappointing at a price point, my OB-6 is not even 2 years old and the "4" button from the bank select starts to be non-responsive at times. It is still under guarantee - will they fix it or will they just press the button vigorously several times and send it back to me ;-)?
Check out the free Rev2 and OB-6 and Sysex Librarian https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm
DSI Prophet Rev 2 (16) - DSI OB-6 - Korg DW 8000 - Oberheim Matrix 1000 - Kawai K3M - Access Virus B - Roland MKS 80 - Behringer Model D

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 02:32:03 PM »
This is what Sequential replied (via email) to another OB6 owner about some buttons not working:

"The next thing to try would be to try a button cleaning routine on the button. To do so, simply press the button 50-100 times with a good deal of force. This usually clears up any intermittent/non operation of a button."

And this is a direct quote reply from Sequential (from 2018) about what I said of the questionable quality of TACT switches used by DSI (now Sequential):

Switches do fail, of course, just like any other component. Tactile switches are pretty simple in their mechanical operation. Like anything that makes a physical electrical connection, the more routinely it's exercised, the better it will perform. Simply by the way they are constructed, these switches are self-cleaning. We use quality parts from trusted manufacturers that are no more prone to failure than any other switches of their type.

In any case, if a switch failure (or any other failure) occurs within the warranty period on a new instrument, we fix it at no cost to the owner. If a failure occurs outside of the warranty period, we fix it for $25, whether you're the original owner or not. This goes for any instrument in our catalog, whether it's still in production or has been discontinued. Yes, we still fix 15 year old Evolvers for $25.

I hope this gives you some confidence in our commitment to keeping our instruments alive and well for the long term.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 02:36:36 PM by AlainHubert »
Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller), Prophet REV2-16, DeepMind 12, VC340

kris

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 03:41:08 AM »
This is what Sequential replied (via email) to another OB6 owner about some buttons not working:

Thank you Alain, appreciated! Will press the button a hundred times and see if that helps.
Check out the free Rev2 and OB-6 and Sysex Librarian https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm
DSI Prophet Rev 2 (16) - DSI OB-6 - Korg DW 8000 - Oberheim Matrix 1000 - Kawai K3M - Access Virus B - Roland MKS 80 - Behringer Model D

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »
You're welcome, Kris. Hope this solves your problem (at least temporarily).  ;D

The same issue is happening with my new to me Rev 2 8 Voice Keyboard on several buttons.  Hopefully vigorous rapid presses does the trick.  Thank you all for sharing your findings!