Difficult to cover synth songs

LPF83

Difficult to cover synth songs
« on: October 17, 2020, 06:55:06 PM »
After all these years, it just sort of dawned on me that I've only ever heard one reasonable attempt to cover "Nothing to Fear" by Depeche Mode.  Maybe I should give it a go one of these days?  Seems like one that takes a great deal of dedication to do justice to.  I've heard a few "feeble attempts" to cover, and felt they gave up too quickly.

I remember the one guy who did do a somewhat reasonable cover of it (mechanically it was all there, but lacked the charisma of the original) was talking about how it was an exhausting project to put it all together.

This is my idea of "classical synth wave" :)

What difficult to cover synth songs can you think of?

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

A Thousand Eyes

Re: Difficult to cover synth songs
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 07:21:00 PM »
No one is going to out Depeche Mode, Depeche Mode, so don't even try.

That's my advice.

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 04:35:46 AM »
No one is going to out Depeche Mode, Depeche Mode, so don't even try.

That's my advice.

Agreed, they are one of a kind; but for me, covering a track isn't always about trying to one-up the original.  Sometimes it's useful to put myself into the headspace of a given era by dissecting a track and considering its individual components.
Looking for ideas on other complex / difficult to cover synth tracks that strike that perfect elusive balance between "easy to listen to, but difficult to play.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

chysn

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 05:15:09 AM »
Don't Go by Yaz comes to mind for me. I'll have to give it another listen, but I remember it having pretty intricate interlocking leads and a funky syncopated bassline.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:17:11 AM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 06:11:16 AM »
Don't Go by Yaz comes to mind for me. I'll have to give it another listen, but I remember it having pretty intricate interlocking leads and a funky syncopated bassline.

A lot of early Vince Clark or DM tracks were designed around tight timing, thus many of the parts (such as the bassline you mention) can be tough to play live -- it doesn't sound quite the same unquantized.