Recording Rev 2 Poly Sequences into DAW advice.

Recording Rev 2 Poly Sequences into DAW advice.
« on: October 16, 2020, 10:12:25 PM »
Trying to see what I may be be doing wrong here..
As far as recording regular playing and cc movements, everything is working as it should and playing back as it should. 
But, when I'm trying to record the midi information from some poly sequences into logic x, I'm running into some strange things.
It will just be a big messy stream of the notes from the sequence.
Im all ears to suggestions, ideas.

Re: Recording Rev 2 Poly Sequences into DAW advice.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 12:52:38 PM »
I just tried the same in Logic X.

First, you seem to have set up sync just fine.

Second, judging from the screen shot it looks like you are getting some midi echos, but I could be wrong. The track you are recording to sends the incomming midi data back to the Rev2 which sends it to Logic again. Try to set the midi channel of the track to 3 or higher. If you want to play back the recording, either drag the region to a track with the correct midi channel or set it back to 1.
Unfortunately this does not fix all the problems.

I do get the same result. The problem seems to be that the Rev2 poly sequencer does not send note off information. Logic records every note and stretches its length to the end of the recorded region.

The only work around I see at the moment is to use Logics midi transformer to edit the recorded region. There is a preset "max note length" and set it to quarter or eighth notes.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 01:02:07 PM by minor7th »

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 02:47:18 PM »
Trying to see what I may be be doing wrong here..
As far as recording regular playing and cc movements, everything is working as it should and playing back as it should. 
But, when I'm trying to record the midi information from some poly sequences into logic x, I'm running into some strange things.
It will just be a big messy stream of the notes from the sequence.
Im all ears to suggestions, ideas.

Not a Logic user so I couldn't give you specifics, but in Cubase if you want to send the sequence to the DAW as notes you need to be sure the MIDI track isn't set to receive but not send notes back to the synth while recording or all sorts of shit hits the fan.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 09:21:09 PM »
Thanks for the responses! I've tried all these things except for the "max note length" idea. I'll give it a shot.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 07:28:16 AM »
Thanks for the responses! I've tried all these things except for the "max note length" idea. I'll give it a shot.

If Cubase users are interested in the note length workaround, here's a link explaining.
https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_artist/v9.5/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/midi_processing/midi_processing_fixing_midi_note_lengths_t.html

I'm surprised a bug like this has persisted so long in the Rev2.  I just never noticed it because I use the Rev2 primarily as a pad synth and primarily use the DAW to sequence.  This bug doesn't exist on my other Sequential synths.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 07:24:11 PM »
Well, when it comes to finding bugs, I must be pretty good at it!  8) This with the "not actually bi-timbral" aspects of this synth really have me wondering what hole I have gone down trying to finish a record with this thing. (Not actually being bi-timbral being that it will change patches in multimode, but not change what is reflected on the screen of the rev2 when you sequencing PC changes externally via hardware sequencer or DAW.) I don't understand how that makes any sense, and I am looking forward to who can make more productive and intuitive products in the future without leaning on old dated standards.