Feature Request: Ping Pong Delay (or Stereo Delay Width)

Feature Request: Ping Pong Delay (or Stereo Delay Width)
« on: October 15, 2020, 10:05:32 AM »
Before my unit arrived I was really looking forward to getting some stereo width out of the pro3 via the Stereo Delay.

Unfortunately it doesn't add much of its own width. You have to already be moving the voice through the stereo field via panning to hear this change reflected in the delay. Also worth noting is that the BBD Delay functions like this already, making the "Stereo" title a little less special.

I'm not sure how this could be implemented. Maybe adding an extra Ping Pong delay type that sacrifices the LPF param for width? I would personally welcome this change even on the existing Stereo Delay.

Or even just an increased width on the Stereo Delay even if its not controllable.

Re: Feature Request: Ping Pong Delay (or Stereo Delay Width)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 11:19:56 AM »
Before my unit arrived I was really looking forward to getting some stereo width out of the pro3 via the Stereo Delay.

Unfortunately it doesn't add much of its own width. You have to already be moving the voice through the stereo field via panning to hear this change reflected in the delay. Also worth noting is that the BBD Delay functions like this already, making the "Stereo" title a little less special.

I'm not sure how this could be implemented. Maybe adding an extra Ping Pong delay type that sacrifices the LPF param for width? I would personally welcome this change even on the existing Stereo Delay.

Or even just an increased width on the Stereo Delay even if its not controllable.

You got it!  Nice!   Did you already download the latest OS?   1.1.0.0

The delay panning was one of my earliest feature requests.   They did implement it on both BBD and Stereo delay types, but as you have noted, there is a requirement that you pan the voice to get the ping pong effect.    If you want the first note to be centered and only have the delays go into ping pong territory, you can use the Aux Envelope > Panning as a workaround.

1. Set default panning level high, so it would normally play voices hard panned L/R.
2. Aux Env:  Set A:0, D: 50, S:0, R:50  with envelope amount set to negative amount to offset the default panning and make the first note centered in the field.   The Delay and Release values can be adjusted as required by your sound design. 

(This type of envelope setup is helpful in a variety of use cases... where you use the Env to negatively offset a given value to the zero point upon key strike, but then use delay/release to ease out toward the desired offset...   Works better than using attack with sustain at 100% in a lot of cases.)

Also, if the maximum mod value for given parameter is not enough with one mod slot, you can usually add another duplicate in another mod slot to push the values further.  There were some parameters upon launch that didn't really have ideal scaling to achieve max modulation in a single slot, or an ideal mod range for the min/max values... I sent in a list of parameters that I thought should be considered for scaling changes, and I know they made a couple of them... I think panning was one of the variables that got a scaling change in one of the OS updates... so, yeah, make sure you're on the latest OS.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 09:19:03 AM »
If you want the first note to be centered and only have the delays go into ping pong territory, you can use the Aux Envelope > Panning as a workaround.

Interesting solution! I'll play with that a bit.

Something I've been enjoying (though it doesn't center the note at first) is audio out mod > panning for a bit of an organic shifting in the image. Its nice for paddy stuff especially.

My unit is up to date as well. Nice efforts on the Param Scaling suggestions, I've noticed a few things like that as well.

Have you experimented with S&H to panning? I was hoping with wave reset it could act as a pseudo random pan spread but if you apply the LFO positively or negatively, it appears to have a strong leaning towards the right or left channel as opposed to feeling random. Any thoughts? I've been able to offset this with a DC modulation but that feels unnecessary.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 11:37:09 AM »
Yep - S+H to panning can create some really cool rhythmic textures, especially when combined with the ARP, and clock sync'd LFO and Delay... try out LFO at 1/4 note sync and Delay at 1/4d with the ARP on... super fun and musical results.   

FYI: The S+H does not behave like its described in the manual.   Instead of being Bipolar, its actually Unipolar.   (ie: only outputs positive values)   Most of the other instruments I have (including others from Seq) have the S+H as Bipolar... that is the preferred behavior in my opinion, and seems to be what was originally intended, based on the write up in the manual.   I did msg Seq support about this a few months back and they said they will either update the SH behavior, or change the users manual to match the actual.

The DC offset is the only workaround to get bipolar SH at the moment.  If you set a DC offset at max negative value (-127), then route SH with +127 value, and use another extra mod slot with SH LFO Source to Panning with +127, you will get the full bipolar type of operation with SH.  (3 total routings, 1 DC, 2 LFO to panning)

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral