Best Effects for Synthesizers

Sacred Synthesis

Best Effects for Synthesizers
« on: October 14, 2020, 09:13:28 AM »
This discussion is open to all brands, pedals, rackmounts, etc.  What multi-effects devices do you think are best for synthesizers?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:16:02 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

Re: Best Effects for Synthesizers
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 10:12:35 AM »
This discussion is open to all brands, pedals, rackmounts, etc.  What multi-effects devices do you think are best for synthesizers?

My general effects advice is:  the best Eventide box you can afford.

But also worth considering: 
— Moogerfoogers — They just sound top notch.
— making a custom Modular effects box — Mutable Instruments Clouds, Make Noise Morphagene / Phonogene, etc.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 10:21:18 AM »

My general effects advice is:  the best Eventide box you can afford.

Shaw, you belong on the other thread!  That's the sort of input I'm looking for over there.

chysn

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 08:49:31 PM »
— making a custom Modular effects box — Mutable Instruments Clouds, Make Noise Morphagene / Phonogene, etc.

These are great modules, but I'd be wary of this approach as they really need lots of modulation sources to really shine, especially the -genes. That'll be the case with most Eurorack effects, although Erbe-Verb is one of the best reverbs you can get in any format.

Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2020, 08:59:56 PM »

These are great modules, but I'd be wary of this approach as they really need lots of modulation sources to really shine, especially the -genes. That'll be the case with most Eurorack effects, although Erbe-Verb is one of the best reverbs you can get in any format.

I kind of thought of the multiple mod inputs as a plus.... something that really adds flexibility to what you are doing with the effects.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

chysn

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 09:59:55 AM »
I kind of thought of the multiple mod inputs as a plus.... something that really adds flexibility to what you are doing with the effects.

No doubt about that. I had a Phonogene, and I loved that every knob also has a jack. But you've got to be willing to go further into modular than Sacred Synthesis has expressed an interest in going.

After I get my Pro 3, though, the support rack is probably what I'll work on next, particularly a Morphagene.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 12:39:50 PM »
But you've got to be willing to go further into modular than Sacred Synthesis has expressed an interest in going.

You’re probably right... though @Sacred did seem to be asking for suggestions that he otherwise wouldn’t consider.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 03:10:39 PM »
It's unlikely I'll go in the modular direction, because I've gone in the module direction, and with happy results.  Yet, I do see these effects devices in a somewhat modular way, as tweakable compliments to a synthesizer.  This is why I want only knobby devices.

Shaw

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 03:16:38 PM »
Do you need presets for your effects devices?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 03:18:53 PM »
No, I've had no need for presets thus far, and I see no need in the future.

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2020, 03:25:57 PM »
In that case a modular route may be worth considering — it would easily be your most flexible option.

Shaw

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 05:04:18 PM »
... another high quality, flexible option would be using 500 series modules. We are starting to see more and more 500 series effects modules come to market... even pitch shifters.

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2020, 06:10:29 PM »

Hey, what do you think of this thing?
https://youtu.be/WWZKZ05VcvQ

It looks pretty wild.

Prophet~6|Prophet~10 Rev3|Prophet~10 Rev4|OB-6|OB-Xa |Minimoog Model-D (reissue)|Tempest|DMX|LinnDrum|Drumtraks

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2021, 02:14:45 PM »
The Source Audio SA260 Nemesis Delay seems to be a fine effects pedal for synthesizer - stereo, very deep and rich, and with plenty of control.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NemesisDelay--source-audio-nemesis-delay-pedal
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:16:20 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2021, 03:14:42 PM »
The Source Audio SA260 Nemesis Delay seems to be a fine effects pedal for synthesizer - stereo, very deep and rich, and with plenty of control.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NemesisDelay--source-audio-nemesis-delay-pedal

Although it's $150 more than the Nemesis, I can highly recommend the Strymon Timeline.

If price is the primary factor, the Source Audio Collider combines Delay and Reverb in one unit.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2021, 05:33:37 PM »

Although it's $150 more than the Nemesis, I can highly recommend the Strymon Timeline.

If price is the primary factor, the Source Audio Collider combines Delay and Reverb in one unit.

Also, I didn't even look carefully at the Nemesis when I posted that to realize it was lacking, but I'm not sure I can convey the musical value of the expression pedal input capability of the Timeline.  I use a Moog EP3 pedal (about 50 bucks), and I've rubber banded the heal so it has a spring action (off by default, delay increases with toe pressure).   Pure magic and well worth the price premium... will even consider buying another Timeline in the future for another synth but having lots of fun with it on the Prophet10 at the moment.  I have two more of same exp. pedals on the P12 module, which I use as substitutes for the touch sliders on the keyboard unit without regret.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 05:37:29 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 03:56:11 PM »

Also, I didn't even look carefully at the Nemesis when I posted that to realize it was lacking, but I'm not sure I can convey the musical value of the expression pedal input capability of the Timeline.  I use a Moog EP3 pedal (about 50 bucks), and I've rubber banded the heal so it has a spring action (off by default, delay increases with toe pressure).   Pure magic and well worth the price premium... will even consider buying another Timeline in the future for another synth but having lots of fun with it on the Prophet10 at the moment.  I have two more of same exp. pedals on the P12 module, which I use as substitutes for the touch sliders on the keyboard unit without regret.

Lacking in what way? Do you mean that the Nemesis has no reverb?

Nemesis has expression pedal capabilities too.

LPF83

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 04:50:23 PM »

Lacking in what way? Do you mean that the Nemesis has no reverb?

Nemesis has expression pedal capabilities too.

My bad.. I was referring to it lacking exp pedal input, but you're right, it does have it.  I just didn't look at it hard enough to realize it was there.