Strymon or Eventide?

Sacred Synthesis

Strymon or Eventide?
« on: October 13, 2020, 07:59:29 AM »
At some point I'd like to upgrade the quality of my effects from a Lexicon MX300 to one of the better units commonly used by synthesists.  I realize there are dozens of worthy choices, and I've got my own shortlist.  But the most popular preferences these days for serious synthesists come down to Strymon and Eventide.  Specifically, I'm interested only in separate reverb and delay devices, and each must have stereo inputs and outputs.  That shortens the list to four units: the Strymon BigSky and TimeLine, and the Eventide Space Reverb and TimeFactor.

I'm wondering what you guys have to say about their differences.  Some have said that the Strymons are brighter and the Eventides darker.  That's important, because I do want clarity when using significant amounts of reverb.  But my needs are also basic.  I don't need the harmonic effects of some of the reverbs such as "Shimmer," but only a deep clean sonorous sound; nor do I need infinitely trailing delay tails, but only a limited number of of tidy echoes. 

I'm still considering other less expensive units, such as the Zoom MS-70CDR and the TC Electronics Flashback, but for now I'd like to know your opinions on the Strymon and Eventide, including how one brand compares with the other.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 08:21:07 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: Strymon or Eventide?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 08:28:34 AM »
SS, I've used a Big Sky, MS-70CDR, and H9. I prefer the Eventide reverb algorithms. To me they sound clearer and more three-dimensional. I have often thought that the H9 (Space algorithms) allows me to "see" around a sound rather than limiting me to the horizon, as it were. Whereas the Big Sky seemed flat to me. The Zoom reverbs do not compare IMO, but I really like its delays. They just fit . . . very smooth. But you can dirty them up to taste for a nostalgia effect using some of the other algorithms.

I have the H9 permanently connected to an aux on my mixer. I use it almost exclusively for the pads I create on the DM12. I also like the app, which is now on my phone and iPad. Very easy to edit. But dedicated knobs on the Space would be great, too. I recommend the Space for reverb.

The Timeline is a great delay, no question. But I would recommend you also consider the Strymon DiG and Seymour Duncan Andromeda for their stereo imaging. And the Zoom is surprisingly good as a delay for the money.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 08:45:30 AM »
Thanks, Bryan.  I'm trying to reduce the choices to as few as possible.  But you described the Eventide reverb as "clean," and the Strymon as "flat."  Now those are the sorts of opinions I'm looking for.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 09:21:16 AM »
And just to be clear, the Big Sky is a great reverb. I have stated elsewhere that it makes everything sound better (overstated, perhaps). But after some time with it and the H9, I kept the H9. Comparatively speaking, I thought the Big Sky was a little more opaque, perhaps warmer, and colored the sound more than the H9. FWIW.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

AlanC

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 12:11:27 PM »
While I can't comment on Strymon vs Eventide, I would say that I find the Big Sky's standard algorithms (Room, Hall, Plate, Spring) to be nothing particularly special. Its great strength is with its "reverb as an effect" algorithms, most particularly Cloud which is quite beautiful.

For a standard reverb I much prefer the OTO Machines Bam which does an extremely good job of emulating the sound of the early Lexicon machines from the late 70's / early 80's. It's a type of reverb that works very well with synthesizers for anything from a bit of subtle ambience to massive spaces, and my Bam is always connected to a couple of channels on my audio interface for use while playing or recording.

jg666

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 12:05:45 AM »
Just registering my interest in this topic as I've been looking at getting one or the other of these :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 02:44:55 AM »
H9 Max is the best option if you can. I use it live and at home. You can edit algos via bt, smartphone android or iphone.
cheers
Lucius

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 06:57:17 AM »
As I explained, I need separate reverb and delay units.  And I know that a thousand other suggestions can be made about other effects, but I'm looking for opinions specifically about the Strymon BigSky and TimeLine, and the Eventide Space Reverb and TimeFactor.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:05:41 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 07:13:05 AM »
As I explained, I need separate reverb and delay units.  And I know that a thousand other suggestions can be made about other effects, but I'm looking for opinions specifically about the Strymon BigSky and TimeLine, and the Eventide Space Reverb and TimeFactor.

The H9 that's being discussed can run both TimeFactor and Space algorithms, so two H9s would give you separate pedals and lot more flexibility over what each pedal does (albeit at a higher cost for that flexibility).
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

jok3r

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 07:37:06 AM »
The Space and TimeFactor pedals have more physical knobs than the H9, as have the Strymons. I think besides the price, this is an important factor for Sacred Synthesis.

I chose the Strymons for myself, but I think soundwise both manufacturers do a good job. I think the Strymons have more preset storage. If you're a fan of editing with PCs, tablets, smartphones, you better go with Eventide. Their app seems much more up to date than the PC-only application from Strymon. The Eventides have USB connection, the Strymons don't... which is not a problem, but I simply don't like to edit gear on PC over DIN-Midi.

I cannot really tell, what let me choose the Strymons over the Eventides. I think both sound fantastic. Perhaps their have been more Synth-through-Pedal-demos of the Strymons then. There's even a video of someone who plays the same setup as I: Rev2->Mobius->Timeline->BigSky... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9b5lMUJV5A ... perhaps this is interesting for you, if you're still planning to buy a Rev2, too.

Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 07:41:10 AM »

The H9 that's being discussed can run both TimeFactor and Space algorithms, so two H9s would give you separate pedals and lot more flexibility over what each pedal does (albeit at a higher cost for that flexibility).

Yes, I've looked at the H9.  It does seem like a nice device, but at $700 for a single unit, it's beyond me.   The H9 Harmonizer is a more reasonable $500, but both pedals lack the knobby interface I prefer.   I would like to avoid menus with my devices, just as I do with my synthesizers.  That's what I like about the other pedals. 

This sort of panel looks just perfect to my synthesist's eyes:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:53:09 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 07:58:46 AM »
If you're a fan of editing with PCs, tablets, smartphones, you better go with Eventide. Their app seems much more up to date than the PC-only application from Strymon. The Eventides have USB connection, the Strymons don't... which is not a problem, but I simply don't like to edit gear on PC over DIN-Midi.

These pedals will sit next to my Mackie Mixer and will presumably never see a computer.  They'll be tweaked by my hands according to the needs of each piece of music.  I probably won't need even a single preset, since the effects settings I use are few in number.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:19:46 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

AlanC

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 08:30:36 AM »
Just registering my interest in this topic as I've been looking at getting one or the other of these :)

While this is going off-topic given Sacred Synthesis' statement that he's looking purely at Strymon and Eventide, I'd strongly suggest also taking a look at the OTO BIM (delay) and BAM (reverb) if you like the vintage sound.

They're a bit different. The input low and high cut filters are analog, as is the diode based input clipping and the emulation of the transient smoothing that occurred in the 70's/80's devices due to the use of audio transformers. The BAM's sound is much "warmer" than the purely digital Big Sky.

They're also extremely popular in the UK / Europe; I'm not sure why they haven't achieved the same status in the US. They used to be hard to get hold of since they were made in comparatively limited quantities and would sell out in a matter of days each time dealers got a new batch; it's not so much of a problem now since production has increased. Price-wise they're about the same as the Big Sky / Space.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:32:19 AM by AlanC »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 09:15:26 AM »
So as to keep this thread on track if possible, see this other thread:

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4710.0.html#new

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:18:42 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2020, 10:26:10 AM »

OK so... on the other thread I would say: get the best Eventide box you can afford.

But on this thread, since the preference for more knobs has been expressed, I would advise — Moogerfoogers (they just sound top notch) or, perhaps even better, making a custom Modular effects box — Mutable Instruments Clouds, Make Noise Morphagene / Phonogene, etc.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 02:00:44 PM »

OK so... on the other thread I would say: get the best Eventide box you can afford.

I would agree with this as well.

There is always the eclipse which allows patches with two effect blocks (algorithms), some of these effects blocks are also multi effects. The list is here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/com.eventide.downloads/Product+Manuals/Eclipse_Alogrithm.pdf

It can also run the Timefactor and Modfactor algorithms from the pedals. Only one of these can be ran at a time but really the other algorithms are the Eventide classics.

They are not cheap though!

LoboLives

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2020, 09:26:21 AM »
I would say that Strymon is the new Eventide. The only thing the Strymon lineup is missing is a harmonizer really.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2020, 12:43:14 PM »
I think there is a difference, not in quality but in design

One makes individual boxes for a particular function the other makes boxes to do "everything" with "everything" changing over the years and the depth of your pocket.

Eventides foray into individual boxes is not their main thing, I would go for the Strymon route for this.

LoboLives

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2020, 01:24:57 PM »

One makes individual boxes for a particular function the other makes boxes to do "everything" with "everything" changing over the years and the depth of your pocket.

Eventides foray into individual boxes is not their main thing, I would go for the Strymon route for this.

At one point Eventide did focus on individual effect devices though.

Shaw

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2020, 03:07:42 PM »

At one point Eventide did focus on individual effect devices though.

They still make them — they had that thing called the Rose — but yeah, their main focus is big boxes... and thank God for it.

I would like to see Strymon do an analog effects rack box that essentially combined several of their effects into a 3u or 2u rack effects unit.  There was a box in the 90s that was similar to what I’m thinking, but Strymon could do something way cooler... no menus, just knobs and switches.  I think it would sell a lot.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |