Strymon or Eventide?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Strymon or Eventide?
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2020, 03:32:13 PM »
I would like to see Strymon do an analog effects rack box that essentially combined several of their effects into a 3u or 2u rack effects unit.  There was a box in the 90s that was similar to what I’m thinking, but Strymon could do something way cooler... no menus, just knobs and switches.  I think it would sell a lot.

That's actually just what I've been looking for - a knobby device in rack form.  I like my Lexicon MX300, but I've been tempted towards the MX200 for the knobbier interface.  It has a nice generic nondescript quality, as opposed to the overly recognizable BigSky, which I would call "that" reverb.  But at the same time, I'm wondering if the quality of my reverb could be cleaned-up a bit.  Hence, the glance towards Strymon and Eventide, which seem to be the tried and true effects preferred by many synthesists. 

I do like the rack mount design, though, because it keeps things within reach, and yet, at the same time, out of the way.  And I dislike the foot pedal guitar effects configuration, so I'm not entirely happy with the Strymon/Eventide designs.  That's why I've long wished that Dave Smith would produce a line of effects - or one multi-effects device - designed specifically for synthesists.  The old Alesis Nanoverb that I once used was a bit cheap and hissy, but its physical design was just perfect for a person seated at a keyboard.  I had it positioned just right so that I could easily adjust it while playing the instruments.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:55:44 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2020, 04:22:33 PM »
I think there is a difference, not in quality but in design

One makes individual boxes for a particular function the other makes boxes to do "everything" with "everything" changing over the years and the depth of your pocket.

Eventides foray into individual boxes is not their main thing, I would go for the Strymon route for this.

At one point Eventide did focus on individual effect devices though.

They still make them — they had that thing called the Rose — but yeah, their main focus is big boxes... and thank God for it.

I would like to see Strymon do an analog effects rack box that essentially combined several of their effects into a 3u or 2u rack effects unit.  There was a box in the 90s that was similar to what I’m thinking, but Strymon could do something way cooler... no menus, just knobs and switches.  I think it would sell a lot.

Actually I’m surprised they don’t have a Multi Effects unit in general...rackmount or otherwise.

Shaw

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2020, 04:50:58 PM »
It’s going to be hard to find a multi effects rack unit that has a bunch of knobs on the front... those devices are generally guitar oriented and guitar players don’t generally turn knobs in the middle of a performance — unless the waitress wanders a little too close to the stage...

I already mentioned Moogerfoogers, but a set of those would be EXPENSIVE!

Another option... find a Kurzweil KSP8 (totally understated effects unit), and pair it with a universal midi controller with a bunch of knobs and faders. 
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2020, 10:27:16 AM »
Sacred Synthesis, 

I have both the MX200 and Big Sky.  I like MX200 because its knobs are immediate. I can dial in what I want quickly.   The only reason I got the Strymon too is for the really big and continuous reverbs, which it is really good at.   I too wish it came as a rack form versus pedal form.    Otherwise when it comes to delays and basic effects the Lexicon is better (more widely)suited.

Going forward I probably won't get another hardware effects unit since I'm already covered for anything that would be done "live" with hardware.   If I want something new effects I would probably use a plug in since I can do that when recording, which is all I really do anyway.

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2020, 10:43:47 AM »
Interesting.  I was about to buy another Lexicon MX300/200, when they were unexpectedly discontinued.  So, I thought I'd consider the "big ones" for a change.  But I'm quite surprised there hasn't been more enthusiasm for Strymon and Eventide here.  I was expecting much more praise for one or the other, but no one seems that interested one way or another. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 11:12:11 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2020, 12:05:10 PM »
But I'm quite surprised there hasn't been more enthusiasm for Strymon and Eventide here. .....

???

I thought I made my enthusiasm for Eventide clear... "get the best Eventide box you can afford".

:)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LPF83

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2020, 12:40:41 PM »
In terms of knobby foot pedals being less than ergonomic for keyboard players, I found a great solution, at least for those with multi-tier A-frame keyboard stands.  I use a Jaspers 4-tier stand, but it will work with any stand where you have unutilized tubing where you can clamp things on.

I get tablet and phone holders (depending on the size of the box... for example a tablet holder for BigSky which is 7" wide) that will clamp onto the side of the stand and let you rotate it to different angles... putting the knobs and display within easy reach.  They aren't designed to firmly grip something as thick or heavy really as a pedal, so I install a wide strip of velcro backing on the inside of the tablet holder and the back of the pedal box to be sure it stays put.  This helps me free up critical desk space.

If anyone knows of a type of holder that would firmly hold music gear like this without the velcro, I'd be interested.  This was somewhat of a "MacGuyver'd" solution that just happened to work for me.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 12:43:15 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

AlanC

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »
But I'm quite surprised there hasn't been more enthusiasm for Strymon and Eventide here.  I was expecting much more praise for one or the other, but no one seems that interested one way or another.

If you're using a DAW and want a realistic reverb then a convolution reverb plug-in will easily outdo the likes of the Big Sky or Space. The main reason I bought the Big Sky was so I could have a decent reverb on synths that have no built-in effects without the need for the ever-present computer. It's also why I mentioned the BAM: it's the one device in the category that offers something distinctly different.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2020, 01:56:13 PM »
But I'm quite surprised there hasn't been more enthusiasm for Strymon and Eventide here. .....

???

I thought I made my enthusiasm for Eventide clear... "get the best Eventide box you can afford".

I guess I didn't sense enthusiasm in your short statement.  I've seen you get far more enthusiastic and long-winded about your favorite synthesizers.

I've probably misread synthesists' opinions on the Strymon and Eventide.  I thought these devices were regarded as the best of the best pedal-form effects by nearly everyone.  I'm actually relieved people have repeatedly suggested other devices, even though I had wanted to stay focused on the two.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 02:07:38 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jok3r

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2020, 02:19:49 PM »
But I'm quite surprised there hasn't been more enthusiasm for Strymon and Eventide here.

Oh well, I have great enthusiasm for my Strymon effects. But since you asked for the differences between the two manufacturers in your first post, I simply can't answer that (besides some pure technical thoughts which I shared). I never owned the Eventide pedals and can't judge if they would suit me better or not.

I simply love the BigSky's reverbs. Especially the "effect" reverbs like Shimmer and Cloud, but also the Chorale. But I also like the whole bunch of standard reverbs like spring, plate... you know the gang ;-)

The Strymons are the first external effects I own. All my other keyboards so far had internal effects that worked (more or less). My Rev2 was the first keyboard/synth that sucked in the effects section (at least for my needs... I'm not doing high quality studio work), but not because of the quality of single effects, but in the weird single-effect-per-layer-architecture. Even if I use Layer B as effects layer only, this is just not the same as having a proper effects chain, like all my other stuff has. But I simply love the Rev2 so much in every other way, that I wanted to beef it up with external effects, rather than selling it. And after watching all videos I could see and testing both Strymon and Eventide pedals at Thomann I decided for the Strymons just because of my personal taste. Perhaps my tweaking on the Eventide pedals was shitty, or something else... but I simple liked the Strymons better. But that was an opinion based on videos and a Test at Thomanns for about an hour with a guitar(!) not a synth ;-) But I'm absolutely happy until today, so what?  ;D

Enough history. I can add one positive argument: The parameters you can tweak for every algorithm of the BigSky are not very much and so the whole pedal is not overly complicated. With only a little knob twisting I get a very nice sounding reverb. Perhaps you could tell the difference to "better" reverbs in a studio environment, but not over a big PA or standard lo-fi consumer audio hardware like cheap headphones and smartphone/tablet/PC/speakers. And so I guess you wouldn't spot the difference between Eventide and Strymon either, if they are both tweaked to their best settings. But as always: this has to be tested in a proper evaluation environment and is just my personal opinion until someone is setting up a test ;-)

Basically the same goes for the Timeline and the Mobius... together they are building my holy Strymon Trinity ;-)

Perhaps not very much people are overly enthusiastic for one side, because they all know you won't make a mistake with either of them?
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Shaw

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2020, 02:26:50 PM »
???

I guess I didn't sense enthusiasm in your short statement.  I've seen you get far more enthusiastic and long-winded about your favorite synthesizers.

I've probably misread synthesists' opinions on the Strymon and Eventide.  I thought these devices were regarded as the best of the best pedal-form effects by nearly everyone.  I'm actually relieved people have repeatedly suggested other devices, even though I had wanted to stay focused on the two.

I didn't want to over-do it... plus I like thinking of outside-the-box ideas, but just so we are clear....

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2020, 03:11:23 PM »
???

I didn't want to over-do it... plus I like thinking of outside-the-box ideas, but just so we are clear....

Got it!

LPF83

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2020, 05:16:20 PM »
I learned something interesting today (amazing what random Youtube suggestions will do, huh?) and thought of this thread.

I have the mobius/timeline/bigsky but can only compare to plug-ins since I have no other pedals (thus no reference point for comparison to Eventide or others).  It seems Strymon pedals have "analog dry thru", meaning the dry signal is split with the processed signal, preserving the purity of the dry signal, whereas Eventide pedals convert the signal to digital immediately.  Apparently guitarists care amount this immensely due to the latency benefits of analog dry through.

Not that it should influence you if one sounds better to you than the other, but thought I would share.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Shaw

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2020, 06:29:37 PM »
I learned something interesting today (amazing what random Youtube suggestions will do, huh?) and thought of this thread.

I have the mobius/timeline/bigsky but can only compare to plug-ins since I have no other pedals (thus no reference point for comparison to Eventide or others).  It seems Strymon pedals have "analog dry thru", meaning the dry signal is split with the processed signal, preserving the purity of the dry signal, whereas Eventide pedals convert the signal to digital immediately.  Apparently guitarists care amount this immensely due to the latency benefits of analog dry through.

Not that it should influence you if one sounds better to you than the other, but thought I would share.

That’s definitely an advantage... though I don’t know too many guitar players who are recording through pedals.  Hell, most players aren’t even recording through real amps.  Kemper and Fractal have taken over.

As for synths... I would assume (though perhaps wrongly) that most people have effects on a bus as opposed to running their gear through effects boxes.   Again, I could be wrong.

LPF83

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 07:04:36 PM »

That’s definitely an advantage... though I don’t know too many guitar players who are recording through pedals.  Hell, most players aren’t even recording through real amps.  Kemper and Fractal have taken over.

As for synths... I would assume (though perhaps wrongly) that most people have effects on a bus as opposed to running their gear through effects boxes.   Again, I could be wrong.

I use plug-ins more than I use pedals..  right now I have all three Strymon pedals on the main out of the Rev2, and that's mainly because the Rev2 has only one effect per layer versus the two fx per layer of the P6, and OB-6.  The P12 has four delay lines (and yes thats... kind of... only one effect but its kind of more) but its a relatively new synth to me so I'm still learning how I want to best use it.

I don't gig so to be honest the real benefit of pedals for me is I can just reach over and tweak a knob so that I get a similar immediacy to tweaking knobs on the synth itself (I have them mounted vertically on my synth stand so they are in arms reach)..  For me there is a different workflow to standing at my keyboard stand versus sitting down and using the mouse (and different musical ideas flow through me depending on what mode I'm in).  It's nice to have both available.

Longer term I suspect I will have at least two of the Strymon pedals on the P10 after I get it, and everything else will continue to be done via plug-ins.  I'd hate to have to juggle as many hardware pedals as I do plugins.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2020, 09:22:30 AM »
It seems Strymon pedals have "analog dry thru", meaning the dry signal is split with the processed signal, preserving the purity of the dry signal, whereas Eventide pedals convert the signal to digital immediately.

Thanks, LPF83.  That's an interesting bit of information on Strymon.

I do prefer to have an effects device that can easily by changed while playing.  I consider both the device and the mixer to be extensions of the synthesizer, and I treat them as such.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:25:50 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2021, 11:35:27 AM »
Just picked up a Strymon Night Sky which is good for all kinds of reverb, though the ads tend to focus on bigger dreamy reverbs.   You can modulate it however you want including  remote control from outside midi.  Fully tone adjustable.  With the preset buttons and when in "sequencer mode"  you can progress to the next sound on the fly very easily.    Because of the built HP/LP filter and tempo syncing,  it occurred to me that here's another way to add an LFO to OB6 :)

I'll probably still hang onto the BigSky too, since that has some delays and fills a separate niche.  Purely from a reverb viewpoint though, this NightSky seems hard to beat as a verb unit.  I was just playing around with syncing it to a Pro2 sequence, adjusting the glide on the verb wet signal, all kinds of fun sounds.  I think the hidden treat for me is the ability to use this as an LFO for filter and even pitch to some degree.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2021, 06:32:42 PM »
There's also Italy's IK Multimedia (who also make synths as well)

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/xgear/

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2021, 06:43:28 PM »
Just picked up a Strymon Night Sky which is good for all kinds of reverb, though the ads tend to focus on bigger dreamy reverbs.   You can modulate it however you want including  remote control from outside midi.  Fully tone adjustable.  With the preset buttons and when in "sequencer mode"  you can progress to the next sound on the fly very easily.    Because of the built HP/LP filter and tempo syncing,  it occurred to me that here's another way to add an LFO to OB6 :)

I'll probably still hang onto the BigSky too, since that has some delays and fills a separate niche.  Purely from a reverb viewpoint though, this NightSky seems hard to beat as a verb unit.  I was just playing around with syncing it to a Pro2 sequence, adjusting the glide on the verb wet signal, all kinds of fun sounds.  I think the hidden treat for me is the ability to use this as an LFO for filter and even pitch to some degree.

Oh, I love reverb and delay units with stereo ins and outs.  And a beautiful name, too - Night Sky.  In terms of sound (putting the sequencer aside), how does this compare with the Big Sky, Soundquest?  Any muddiness issues?  Adverse affects on the original tone of the synthesizer?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 09:01:04 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2021, 09:43:02 AM »
I'll really need to play with it some more to give it a fair shake (specifically doing my own adjustments).  Some of the presets , like anything out there, would serve no use to me.   But I'll report back in a few weeks.