The End of the Moog Voyager

chysn

Re: The End of the Moog Voyager
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2016, 11:42:00 AM »
If anything I think Moog should look into giving people the option in constructing their own modular. Sell individual sequencers, white noise generators etc. I've been looking into investing in a Synthesizers.com modular as the Moog modular systems are way out of most people's price range perhaps this might be a good option for Moog.

Moog just released a pair of eurorack cases that cost about $100 less than comparable cases by anyone else. I don't know whether this signals Moog's interest in eurorack but, damn, I hope so. The Mother-32 shows that they have engineers that are conversant in the format, and I'd love to see it explode.

I'd prefer to see more modules from DSI, as I think they can be a little more forward-thinking than Moog in a lot of ways. A simple 16-step sequencer from DSI would probably tip me onto the wild side of the eurorack fence.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
The moog racks don't seem to have a power supply that's why they are a bit cheaper, or is there something new?

chysn

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
The moog racks don't seem to have a power supply that's why they are a bit cheaper, or is there something new?

That's right. Compare the Moog case to the Tip Top Happy Ending, which is a bare-bones unenclosed rack with power supply for $160; or to the Pittsburgh Modular Cell[48], which is enclosed with power supply for $250. The Moog case plus a uZeus power supply seems like a much more attractive option at about $170.

There's also the option of carpentering up your own case, and getting a cheap power distribution board, and adding your own Molex power supply. This can be built for maybe $45, assuming you've already got some wood laying around, with some wood glue, drill, etc. It might be fun to see how cheap I could build a eurorack system.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2016, 02:55:57 AM »
If anything I think Moog should look into giving people the option in constructing their own modular. Sell individual sequencers, white noise generators etc. I've been looking into investing in a Synthesizers.com modular as the Moog modular systems are way out of most people's price range perhaps this might be a good option for Moog.

Moog just released a pair of eurorack cases that cost about $100 less than comparable cases by anyone else. I don't know whether this signals Moog's interest in eurorack but, damn, I hope so. The Mother-32 shows that they have engineers that are conversant in the format, and I'd love to see it explode.

I'd prefer to see more modules from DSI, as I think they can be a little more forward-thinking than Moog in a lot of ways. A simple 16-step sequencer from DSI would probably tip me onto the wild side of the eurorack fence.

I think in terms of sequencers the Mother 32 is really good as it allows users to ratchet steps without having to have an additional controller and manually do it and I believe you can save the sequence patterns themselves so it's a Tangerine Dream fan's well...dream. I think a three tier Mother 32 rack handling sequencing with a small midi keyboard controlling the transpositions and a Sub 37 beside it all handling the lead work is a much more affordable and practical option than a huge modular which, while it sounds amazing, isn't really practical if you need to recall sequences for live purposes. You'd have to save the sequence to a Midi file and then play back the sequence via Midi through the system or have to take pictures of the front panel and save them as a blueprint if you want to reconstruct it from scratch. I suppose unless you wanted to hook up a Doepfer MAQ16/3 (which is now discontinued) to it.

Speaking of sequencers any news on the SEM Mini Sequencer? Why in the world would Tom not put a Midi Clock In to such a great sequencer?

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2017, 11:22:43 PM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2017, 08:38:24 AM »
I'm amazed it lasted this long.  It was the esoteric version of the Voyager, with a price that most of us would rather approach by stages.  And considering that for the same price one could buy a Modal Electronics 008, it probably couldn't survive in the new analog synthesizer world.

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2017, 08:53:48 AM »
Financial speculators who normally focus on real estate and Bordeaux wine should have a close look at these last XLs rolling of the line at the moment. This was a special instrument.

« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2017, 08:54:35 AM »
Beautiful instrument. Everything Voyager + CV extensions, ribbon controller, and 61 keys in one box. I was lucky enough to tinker around with one that had an armada of all Moogerfoogers installed above it when I visited the Moog factory. If I had been able to afford it, I would have ordered the black Tolex edition, which had the aesthetic vibe of the Model 15 and a Fender Rhodes piano.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »
Not to worry.  Behringer will soon be offering their version for $999.  ::)

« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2017, 08:06:15 AM »
This is a nice demo

LoboLives

« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
Not to worry.  Behringer will soon be offering their version for $999.  ::)

and it'll probably be retired a lot quicker too.

LoboLives

« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2017, 10:50:26 AM »
Honestly, Moog should have been moving on from Monophonic instruments at this point. I'm really hoping they get a Four Voice Phatty out.