The End of the Moog Voyager

Sacred Synthesis

Re: The End of the Moog Voyager
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2015, 09:55:44 AM »
I read somewhere that the XL will still be continued and if that is the case the Voyager lives on. In any event, I would expect the next big thing to be something based on the Sub 37 whatever they decide to name it. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Something along the lines of a modernized Voyager.

Good point: the Voyager XL presumably will continue in production.  But still, there's quite a gap between the Sub 37 and the XL, which the Voyager standard editions nicely filled.  I hope Moog comes up with another comparably-sized multi-oscillator mono synth.  In this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised if an authentic Model D appeared.  After all, who would have thought even a year ago that Moog would revive the large modulars?  A limited edition Model D would sell like candy, as long as it truly had "that sound".

And here's a little music to accompany that thought.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:29:06 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2015, 10:07:41 AM »
Haven't there been rumors about Moog patenting the name "Model D" a couple of months ago? - That would make sense if you consider that they went all the way back to reproduce the modular systems as a limited run. One suspicious word in the description of the Mother-32 might be another hint: They speak of "a distinctively vintage-voiced analog performance and production synthesizer."

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
Haven't there been rumors about Moog patenting the name "Model D" a couple of months ago?  One suspicious word in the description of the Mother-32 might be another hint: They speak of "a distinctively vintage-voiced analog performance and production synthesizer."

That's exciting.  I missed those rumors.  With the Odyssey, MS-20, Oberheim Two-Voice, and even the Prophet 6 back in fashion, the most obvious missing instrument is the original Minimoog. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:35:39 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2015, 10:34:22 AM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »
Good research, Paul.  I don't know what else we could conclude.  It certainly looks hopeful.  This would explain why Moog has been clearing the deck of so many smaller items, and now even the Voyager.

Presumably, we wouldn't have to worry that this one would have mini-keys!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 12:16:42 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2015, 11:56:12 AM »
Presumably, we wouldn't have to worry that this one would have mini-keys!

A Model D reissue with mini keys would be like the mother of all insults.

When the Moog modular reissues were announced, I wrote this on another forum:

Quote from: Me
If you want to figure out what makes something tick--for example, to learn why it sounds good--the best way is to take it apart and build another one. Moog isn't going to get by on four million dollars in sales, which is what these instruments will bring it at their retail prices. If they're smart, they have engineers who learned a lot from this crazy project, and can apply the knowledge to the smaller instruments, where the real money is.

If modular reissues were a way to prepare Moog's engineering team for a perfect re-creation of the Minimoog Model D, they'll be rolling in money indeed.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2015, 12:15:27 PM »
@chysn: My thoughts. I've also heard that Moog hired a couple of new people, so that might be an indicator for some new developments as well. But that's all highly speculative at this point.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2015, 12:22:43 PM »
A Model D reissue with mini keys would be like the mother of all insults.

That's right.  And the Moog clientele would storm the factory: "Hey, hey!  Hoe, hoe!  The mini-keys have got to go!  Hey, hey!  Hoe, hoe!"

dslsynth

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2015, 01:02:04 PM »
I don't think you got the trick about the mini keys! You see, if the manufacturer includes mini keys in the product then all the complaints will focus on those instead of the other qualities or lack thereof in the product. So whenever you see mini keys be sure to look even more closely at the sound quality and build quality.

. o O ( monday advice )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2015, 01:05:01 PM »
I don't think you got the trick about the mini keys! You see, if the manufacturer includes mini keys in the product then all the complaints will focus on those instead of the other qualities or lack thereof in the product. So whenever you see mini keys be sure to look even more closely at the sound quality and build quality.

. o O ( monday advice )

Paraphrases (with slightly hysteric voice): "They are so tiny, I couldn't believe they would sound that big!"

dslsynth

« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2015, 01:25:27 PM »
I would be happy to see DSI produce enough different modules so that one could build an all-DSI modular instrument.

Honestly my old friend I would like to broaden your views a little here. The eurorack scene is so large with so many options that its not a question of one manufacturer doing one perfect set of modules but rather a question of picking the best sounding oscillators, filters and amps together with relevant support modules if one is in traditional mood. Or something entirely different if one is in that mood. Read this great Mutable Instrument owner interview by KMI for additional inspiration:
http://www.keithmcmillen.com/blog/interview-with-olivier-gillet-mutable-instruments/

What a well designed preset manager module with enough features could enable is a design-it-yourself voice architecture. Or simply be the hardware side of a setup enabling generative sound design techniques being employed without having to reach into the cable-and-knob-salad all the time. Different approaches, different dreams!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:27:58 PM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2015, 01:27:33 PM »
Paraphrases (with slightly hysteric voice): "They are so tiny, I couldn't believe they would sound that big!"

Interesting approach to up the perceived sound quality of an instrument. ;D :o ;)
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 01:30:43 PM »

Interesting approach to up the perceived sound quality of an instrument. ;D :o ;)

Yeah, it's called "to reface."

dslsynth

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 01:33:24 PM »
if just one switch does not have a volotage control input, then that module will have "parameters" that cannot be automaticaly stored and recalled...

Sure, but it would still be a major step forward over the cable-and-knob-salad jungle that so many eurorack users seem to love. Plus it would save space and possibly money in a modular setup and it would enable better tools for some types of users.
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2015, 01:34:57 PM »

Did you mean "refarce"? ;D
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 01:44:26 PM »

Did you mean "refarce"? ;D

Yes. And in case anyone is wondering: Yes, I've tried them all in a store and had a good laugh. (I guess I'm a grumpy old man now.)

dslsynth

« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2015, 01:51:27 PM »
Yes. And in case anyone is wondering: Yes, I've tried them all in a store and had a good laugh. (I guess I'm a grumpy old man now.)

That comes with the age! :o :o :o
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2015, 01:57:03 PM »
I would be happy to see DSI produce enough different modules so that one could build an all-DSI modular instrument.

Honestly my old friend I would like to broaden your views a little here. The eurorack scene is so large with so many options that its not a question of one manufacturer doing one perfect set of modules but rather a question of picking the best sounding oscillators, filters and amps together with relevant support modules if one is in traditional mood. Or something entirely different if one is in that mood. Read this great Mutable Instrument owner interview by KMI for additional inspiration:
http://www.keithmcmillen.com/blog/interview-with-olivier-gillet-mutable-instruments/

What a well designed preset manager module with enough features could enable is a design-it-yourself voice architecture. Or simply be the hardware side of a setup enabling generative sound design techniques being employed without having to reach into the cable-and-knob-salad all the time. Different approaches, different dreams!

Oh, it's not at all that I want to limit myself only to DSI products.  After all, I did start this thread about the Voyager because I'm genuinely interested in Moog synthesizers.  But I would be happy to see DSI get into the module approach large-scale.   

You've heard me say this before.  My needs are very simple, but the thing I cannot find is the large yet relatively simple synthesizer with strong fundamentals, including multiple VCOs, multiple LFOs, complete envelopes, a full-sized keyboard, and so on.  There are so many instruments nowadays that fall short of this ideal.  The Sub 37 is one, for example.  So close and yet so far; a fabulous sound and architecture, but just too small.  The same with the Prophet 6.  Honestly, I keep coming back to the old Prophet '08 as an ideal.  It's very difficult to find that old school-ish synthesizer that doesn't compromise on the basics.  So, the best solution seems to be to find a synthesizer that's generally satisfactory and has the right physical size, and then to supplement it with modules.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »

I feel your pain.  We can start a thread for grumpy old synthesists. 

« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2015, 02:03:05 PM »