The End of the Moog Voyager

Sacred Synthesis

Re: The End of the Moog Voyager
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2015, 09:12:09 PM »
After finally getting a chance to look at the links you guys posted here, I was excited about the Mother 32.  But, like Chysn, I find the bare-bones envelope a killer.  With all the time and care that goes into designing even an ostensibly simple sound, to have so little control over the shape of it is unacceptable.  It seems as if this happens a lot now with synthesizers, the compromising in this department. It must be a type of electronic music using rapid sequences that cares so little for the shape of the envelope.  I consider three four-stage envelopes to be required sound design resources.  I suppose two could be manageable, but anything less is absurd.  Then striking a note is too much like turning a light on and then turning it off, with little more happening before, during, or after the note strike.

Then again, after listening to more Mother 32 recordings, I'd say this is a module designed for live tweaking.  In other words, the scarcity of refined envelope control is compensated for by hands-on turning of the filter.  Which is to say that it's not ideal to play this with a keyboard, but rather, with the sequencer while turning parameters.  I get it, but it isn't for me.

The Mother 32 is no substitute for the Voyager.  So, I wonder what will be?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:20:55 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 01:48:28 AM »
So, I wonder what will be?

Hype compatible candy for the eurowreck crowd! ;)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 10:20:04 AM »
I hadn't noticed the envelope, you would have though at a minimum they would have had a release switch using the decay setting.

So one osc and a limited envelope. Still it looks appealing so I think I'm going to order one.

I will let you know how it goes...

dslsynth

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 11:40:37 AM »
@BobTheDog: Do you have an eurorack system already?

If I remember correctly you have a Pro2. So there could be options for great Pro2/Mother-32 demos. Any plans to shot videos of that combo?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 12:24:14 PM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »
Yeah, I have a small frankenstein setup consisting of:

A Doepfer P9 suitcase filled with bits and bobs, A wonderful tinysizer ( http://www.anyware-instruments.de/tinysizer/ ), voyager with  VX-351, Doepfer Dark Energy, Cirklon with CV box and underneath the P9 is a motu interface with 8 CV ins and out via ES SilentWay on the computer. All can be connected in many ways I don't understand but it can be fun to mess around.

I have included a picture, nothing is patched up as we had some visitors and I had to make the music room "respectable".

Me and videos don't go together, so it would be unlikely.

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 01:34:34 PM »
I'm with Sacred Synthesis here. I got a bit sentimental over the announcement. I mean, it was obvious that this day had to come at some point, but it's kind of weird to imagine a synth world without the Voyager as it has been such an iconic instrument. On the other hand I'm curious what Moog will come up with in terms of a new flagship product. The Mother-32 might already suggest that they might go back to their modular roots while pairing that side with a couple of features that are in high demand these days. The Mother-32 looks and sounds quite tasty and if money wouldn't be an issue, I could see myself pre-ordering at least two. From what I've heard, the oscillator sounds different from the Sub 37. That plus linear FM and the modular side in general wouldn't make this a redundant addition.

I agree with dslsynth that the Mother-32 could also serve as a powerful addition to the Pro 2. I can clearly see some nasty options for modulation routings between those two although I'm not of the opinion that the Pro 2 lacks analog oscillators.

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2015, 01:36:10 PM »
Sweet picture, BobTheDog!  8)

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »
Btw, a great selection of samples of just one Mother-32: https://soundcloud.com/moogmusicinc/sets/mother-32-sound-samples

dslsynth

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 05:23:36 AM »
Wow BobTheDog, thats a cute little modular setup and quite a synth collection. Plenty of gear envy from here! ;)
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2015, 04:01:37 PM »
I read somewhere that the XL will still be continued and if that is the case the Voyager lives on. In any event, I would expect the next big thing to be something based on the Sub 37 whatever they decide to name it. At least that's what I'm hoping for. Something along the lines of a modernized Voyager.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2015, 01:08:41 AM »
Only one oscillator :(

Not if you chain them up  ;) ... I'm probably going to get one of these as my first entry into semi-modular... Price is right, and I know the sound will be too.

I was also thinking about getting a Voyager Rack, but I still find it a bit too expensive for what it does, so I'll wait until I see a used one for the right price.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2015, 01:13:12 AM »
Only one oscillator :(

Not if you chain them up  ;) ... I'm probably going to get one of these as my first entry into semi-modular... Price is right, and I know the sound will be too.

I was also thinking about getting a Voyager Rack, but I still find it a bit too expensive for what it does, so I'll wait until I see a used one for the right price.

You can't really poly-chain them, though. That would require a MIDI Out port. Nevertheless, the sound seems to be quite full when more than one Mother-32 is used.

dslsynth

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2015, 09:06:09 AM »
You can't really poly-chain them, though. That would require a MIDI Out port.
Or simply a question of creative computer programming! ;)

Still it would way cooler if DSI made an eurorack preset manager module with support for paraphonic and polyphonic operation together with plenty of digital modulations (lfo, envelope, sequencer, ...) in a nice module with OLED display and plenty of CV outs and of cause MIDI In/Out and USB MIDI.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2015, 09:32:02 AM »
Imagine if DSI went all-out in the modular direction, with VCO, DCO, and DO modules.  Finally, we could have the DSI synthesizer of our dreams.  I'd build a massive mono synth.

dslsynth

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2015, 10:30:08 AM »
I think that DSI are already heading in that direction. I think they promised a new eurorack module later this year. What is missing however is a digital glue module allowing presets and providing plenty of digital modulations at the same time. Which will actually allow for the user to save a lot of support modules from their setup. Think about how a DSI synthesizer looks on the inside: Oscillator/Filter/Amp happening in analog electronics and the rest is happening inside code on PICs and/or DSPs. Eurorack world could benefit from the same tools and DSI are the perfect company to make it happen.

Regarding an successor to the Voyager I think like someone else said that it will be based on Sub37 technology and hopefully have more features. So how about a four oscillator four lfo new Moog synth? On the visual front I really hope they make a back lighted panel similar to Voyager Electric Blue version as its so cool looking. And possibly a much more compact module than the Voyager RME?

Next NAMM are going to be interesting and Modal Electronics are on their way with their next new highly priced instrument! ;D
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2015, 10:42:43 AM »
I think that DSI are already heading in that direction. I think they promised a new eurorack module later this year. What is missing however is a digital glue module allowing presets and providing plenty of digital modulations at the same time. Which will actually allow for the user to save a lot of support modules from their setup. Think about how a DSI synthesizer looks on the inside: Oscillator/Filter/Amp happening in analog electronics and the rest is happening inside code on PICs and/or DSPs. Eurorack world could benefit from the same tools and DSI are the perfect company to make it happen.

Regarding an successor to the Voyager I think like someone else said that it will be based on Sub37 technology and hopefully have more features. So how about a four oscillator four lfo new Moog synth? On the visual front I really hope they make a back lighted panel similar to Voyager Electric Blue version as its so cool looking. And possibly a much more compact module than the Voyager RME?

Next NAMM are going to be interesting and Modal Electronics are on their way with their next new highly priced instrument! ;D

I've been thinking about such a preset module myself... even creating one myself with electronics, but you run into too many problems with it when modules are not fully voltage controllable... if just one switch does not have a volotage control input, then that module will have "parameters" that cannot be automaticaly stored and recalled... so if this was to work, DSI would have to create every single module so that it is compatible.

But it's still a rather fun thought... I'd certainly like such a thing... you'd have a hard time sharing your presets though, unless others have the exact same setup as you do  :)

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2015, 10:44:04 AM »
Don't overlook the obvious: The Pro 2 is already there and in itself an instrument I'd call modular. Okay, it might not have as many physical patch points as a whole modular wall, but it already combines a lot of the features that are being asked for in one package, except for VCOs. Everybody's free, however, to add as many analog oscillators to the Pro 2 as one likes.

I guess it's likely though that we're going to see more DSI modules in the future - derivatives of components you'll find in the Pro 2 and the Prophet-12, and maybe even a standalone version of the Prophet-6's oscillators, which would be quite attractive.

As for the next Moog flagship: I think the only aspect that is clear is that they're going to move entirely to surface mount devices, which will eventually help to keep the costs down a bit.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2015, 10:45:44 AM »
I would be happy to see DSI produce enough different modules so that one could build an all-DSI modular instrument. That would be one way to satisfy the very specific needs and wants of fickle customers: let us assemble our own instruments.  And I've always thought the Prophet '08 would make an excellent keyboard controller.  I'd like to expand its monophonic capabilities, though, with modules, such as an Oberheim SEM.  Building a DSI/Sequential modular cabinet would be an even better idea.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 02:25:20 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »
Don't overlook the obvious: The Pro 2 is already there and in itself an instrument I'd call modular. Okay, it might not have as many physical patch points as a whole modular wall, but it already combines a lot of the features that are being asked for in one package, except for VCOs. Everybody's free, however, to add as many analog oscillators to the Pro 2 as one likes.

I guess it's likely though that we're going to see more DSI modules in the future - derivatives of components you'll find in the Pro 2 and the Prophet-12, and maybe even a standalone version of the Prophet-6's oscillators, which would be quite attractive.

As for the next Moog flagship: I think the only aspect that is clear is that they're going to move entirely to surface mount devices, which will eventually help to keep the costs down a bit.

Sure... but unfortunately, the Pro 2 does not come as a rack/module version, so it's hard to make a small compact setup for desktop use.

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2015, 11:29:03 PM »
Sure... but unfortunately, the Pro 2 does not come as a rack/module version, so it's hard to make a small compact setup for desktop use.

Fair enough. I assume that there are going to be more DSI modules anyway. And maybe we'll even see a new desktop synth at some point. I doesn't necessarily have to be a Pro 2 desktop version as long as it's a truly flexible unit with modular capabilities and physical connections.