Alesis SR-16?

LoboLives

Alesis SR-16?
« on: April 03, 2017, 04:09:10 AM »
Hey guys, I'm really trying to decide what type of drum machine to get for my set up. I'm more using it for basic beats to play along with sequences. I was thinking the Tempest might be a waste if I'm only going to be using classic 80s style beats and mostly just using the on board samples.  I was really looking at an Alesis SR-16. I've heard good things about it but I'm curious would it still give me that Linn Drum/DMX style type sound? I can't seem to find a good demo of it on youtube being used with synths. I've seen one alongside a Microbrute.

Re: Alesis SR-16?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 06:57:29 AM »
Hey guys, I'm really trying to decide what type of drum machine to get for my set up. I'm more using it for basic beats to play along with sequences. I was thinking the Tempest might be a waste if I'm only going to be using classic 80s style beats and mostly just using the on board samples.  I was really looking at an Alesis SR-16. I've heard good things about it but I'm curious would it still give me that Linn Drum/DMX style type sound? I can't seem to find a good demo of it on youtube being used with synths. I've seen one alongside a Microbrute.

The Tempest does it all so no need to go any further but........

I owned an SR16 not long after they came out originally in the early 90's and althought it sounded good it did not sound like a DMX or Linn for that matter if that's what your after. (Ironically what I was avoiding at the time!)

It was good at the time, no compaints but it's only selling point I remember was the dynamatic articulation which in non advertising language meant the drums had a different tone to the velocity given to them!

It's a nice machine but Tempest does it all (With samples) and where Tempest shines is the Analogue drums and playback which something the SR16 will never have.

The Yamaha RY10, Alesis SR16 and Akai XR20 are in the preset league with minimal adjustments type of drum machnes!

\Good luck

Tim

Tim

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 04:33:25 PM »
The Yamaha RY10 had samples that if I recall sounded more like a DMX/EMU although I still think it used 16 bit quality like the SR16 so not exactly same sample rate as the DMX ect mentioned.
Tim

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:24:52 AM »

The Tempest does it all so no need to go any further but........

I owned an SR16 not long after they came out originally in the early 90's and althought it sounded good it did not sound like a DMX or Linn for that matter if that's what your after. (Ironically what I was avoiding at the time!)

It was good at the time, no compaints but it's only selling point I remember was the dynamatic articulation which in non advertising language meant the drums had a different tone to the velocity given to them!

It's a nice machine but Tempest does it all (With samples) and where Tempest shines is the Analogue drums and playback which something the SR16 will never have.

The Yamaha RY10, Alesis SR16 and Akai XR20 are in the preset league with minimal adjustments type of drum machnes!

\Good luck

Tim

I'm just shocked the Tempest doesn't have a "Song Mode" function but I suppose saving a "Performance" is the same thing.