DC-106 by Cherry Audio

LPF83

DC-106 by Cherry Audio
« on: October 09, 2020, 12:58:15 PM »
I owned a Juno-106 back in the early 90's and still miss it to this day.  Cherry Audio just released DC-106, which (particularly considering it is $25) is probably going to become a plug-in that every Juno lover considers a must-own.  I think of the Juno clones I have, it probably reminds me of my former hardware Juno more than any of them, and unless Roland does a true analog hardware reissue of the Juno 106 it will probably be my go-to plugin for Juno sounds.  Like other good analog emulations, it does put a burden on the CPU with certain patches, but that's where my hardware synths come into play.... and for a virtual instrument, definitely sounds nice.  Would love to see a thorough side-by-side comparison video of a real Juno 106 and this plugin.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Re: DC-106 by Cherry Audio
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 08:25:52 PM »
I didn't like the chorus on the DCO 106, personally. Yes, I own a real Juno 106 and its true that it doesn't nail it, but I don't really look at emulations that way. I look at more as, does it sound good on its own? I just couldn't really vibe with the DCO myself, but you make a great point about the cost. At 25 bucks it really falls into the "why not grab it?" category. :)
I just got a System 8 and I must say the Juno 106 plug out sounds nearly identical to the real thing! If you want a near perfect facsimile of the 106 that Roland plugin/plug out is your best bet, though more expensive of course.
I still think the TAL U No is the best inexpensive Juno emulation I've heard. My 106 was in the shop for a couple weeks once and that TAL plugin saved my butt on a project I was working on. It's really nice.

LPF83

Re: DC-106 by Cherry Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 05:43:22 AM »
I didn't like the chorus on the DCO 106, personally. Yes, I own a real Juno 106 and its true that it doesn't nail it, but I don't really look at emulations that way. I look at more as, does it sound good on its own? I just couldn't really vibe with the DCO myself, but you make a great point about the cost. At 25 bucks it really falls into the "why not grab it?" category. :)
I just got a System 8 and I must say the Juno 106 plug out sounds nearly identical to the real thing! If you want a near perfect facsimile of the 106 that Roland plugin/plug out is your best bet, though more expensive of course.
I still think the TAL U No is the best inexpensive Juno emulation I've heard. My 106 was in the shop for a couple weeks once and that TAL plugin saved my butt on a project I was working on. It's really nice.

TAL is good, and I sometimes use the TAL chorus plugin on other instruments. It's been a long time since I owned a Juno 106, so my basis for comparison is only a subjective "vibe" I get from each one, and some brief patch comparisons.  A lot of times I just do a quick "bass and pad" test, but even the question of how to compare comes into question (i.e. is the position of knobs and sliders part of the test, or are the sounds match by ear?  and whose ear? etc).

As for System8, I'd love to see Roland come out with a module version with less green lights :)
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC