AS-1 compared to prophet 6 in real life?

AS-1 compared to prophet 6 in real life?
« on: October 08, 2020, 11:56:03 AM »
I’m curious if anyone has both and can say definitively that yes they do sound the same.
I have an OB6, REV2 and PRO3 and as much as I want the prophet6 sound I can’t justify the purchase. I could easily justify the AS-1 though....
OB6, PROPHET 6, REV2, PRO 3, AS-1, MOOG GRANDMOTHER, HYDRASYNTH, B2600, DIGITAKT, ANALOG RYTM, ASSORTED EURORACK

Re: AS-1 compared to prophet 6 in real life?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 02:40:57 PM »
It's literally the same voice with the same circuitry. A single voice of the Prophet-6 is identical to the AS-1. The digital effects on the AS-1 have been simplified due to DSP limitations, but the analog synth voice is identical.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 07:50:09 PM »
As far as I know, the only difference in analogue circuitry between the AS-1 and the Prophet-06 is the omission of the distortion circuit. On the AS-1 you get a digital distortion in the "FX1" section.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 11:19:16 PM »
One difference is that Toraiz AS-1 has  realtime non steping filter filter knob.
I think no one has prophet 6 and a toraiz to compare them. I've also read that the filter is tuned differently.
I am willing to know if the cross mod is more aggressive (max amount higher cap) in the Toraiz AS-1 because it is a mono.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 05:17:27 PM »
I have both.  I saw a thread where someone pointed out the VBass factory patch is on both synths, so I've been using that as a comparison.  I don't know if it's all in my mind but to me they sound slightly different.  The AS-1 filter does step just like the P6, but I swear it seems to be ever so slightly smoother than the P6.  Nothing that would make a difference in a track, but something I could both hear and see visually when using ProQ3 plugin to watch.. I made sure they were tuned the same and levels were same during my comparison.  Now that VBass patch does have a bit of movement in it so playing it on two synths side by side they tend to sound different just because of the phase isnt in sync on both.   But overall I feel there is some sort of extra bass presence going on in the AS-1 -- perhaps difference in gain staging?  I don't mean like low-end in the EQ sense, I just mean the overall presence, like the filter is a little stronger or something.  I did notice the AS-1 seems to put out less noise, which might contribute to the bass sounding a bit better (I'm just not sure if that has something to do with my particular setup)....  So overall that makes the AS-1 it a slightly (and I do mean very slightly) superior bass synth when comparing sounds in the typical "synth bass" range of tones.   I feel like the difference I'm hearing is similar to what others have said about vintage Pro-One versus the P5 back in the day.

Of course the P6 can do way more than just great basslines, so for me the real bang for the buck here is that I can pretty much relegate most of my bass duties to the AS-1, freeing up the P6 to simulatneously perform many other roles.   But the fact that the P6 can hang with the AS-1 on bass, plus hang pretty well with the P10 on pads, not to mention do many things that none of the others can do, just shows what a beast the P6 really is... a truly versatile beast.

The AS-1 I will highly recommend, especially for those wanting a killer bass machine.  Great for mono leads, analog drums and so forth, too... its just that in my own studio it will be mostly only used as my go-to bass favorite.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 01:13:04 AM »
Now that I own both the AS-1 and Prophet 6, Coming back to my original post just now I realize how silly my perspective was.
I could do a whole album or live performance with just those two synths and a drum machine.
The AS-1 sounds exactly the same to me as the Prophet 6 and the fact that they’re only $499 is just mindblowing to me. I can’t imagine ever selling either synth.
OB6, PROPHET 6, REV2, PRO 3, AS-1, MOOG GRANDMOTHER, HYDRASYNTH, B2600, DIGITAKT, ANALOG RYTM, ASSORTED EURORACK

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 03:21:28 AM »
Now that I own both the AS-1 and Prophet 6, Coming back to my original post just now I realize how silly my perspective was.
I could do a whole album or live performance with just those two synths and a drum machine.
The AS-1 sounds exactly the same to me as the Prophet 6 and the fact that they’re only $499 is just mindblowing to me. I can’t imagine ever selling either synth.

They are both great synths. Recently I've noticed some very subtle differences in how they sound for bass using the exact same settings that I've posted at the link below.  I'd be interested to know if you find the same results when comparing identical sounds on each?  (You would need a third party editor for the Prophet such as Soundtower to be able to see actual knob values for matching purposes).

I'd recommend listening to the second pair of uploaded files on a good set of speakers first:

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,5559.0.html
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 03:24:57 AM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 06:41:54 PM »
I own both as well. Side by side, the AS1 is definitely a bit tighter sounding.
OB6 desktop x2, DSI Rev2 16, Toraiz AS-1, Prophet 12, Pro 2, Vermona 14, Roland System 8, Matrixbrute, Jomox Sunsyn MKII

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2022, 05:45:18 PM »
I own both as well. Side by side, the AS1 is definitely a bit tighter sounding.

The FX also have slight differences I believe....  I tend to notice it specifically in the ringmod and distortion.  I believe I read that the FX implementation is overall less powerful than the P6, but I guess sometimes less is more.  Something special about the bass sounds that come out of this thing.