Analog / Digital Purists?

A Thousand Eyes

Re: Analog / Digital Purists?
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2020, 03:24:00 PM »
I keep forgetting about the Nonlinear Labs C15. It's got to be the most interesting digital synth (of any ilk) on the market. I just don't see much of a market for the price it's going for... but personally I'd much rather sink my money into that than a Super 6 for example. They should really think about a more affordable module if it's not in development already. It's basically already partly a module anyhow.

LoboLives

« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2020, 04:13:16 PM »
I keep forgetting about the Nonlinear Labs C15. It's got to be the most interesting digital synth (of any ilk) on the market. I just don't see much of a market for the price it's going for... but personally I'd much rather sink my money into that than a Super 6 for example. They should really think about a more affordable module if it's not in development already. It's basically already partly a module anyhow.

They should really think about midi too.

Shaw

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2020, 04:43:50 PM »

That’s a really expensive VST.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2020, 04:45:19 PM »

With no midi lol

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2020, 09:33:42 PM »
I totally agree, but same goes for pretty much all the digital synths on the market such as the Solaris, etc. Personally I don't hear anything in the digital (including hybrid) realm that really touches the C15. Having owned some of the top of the line more recent digital & hybrid synths (that you've also owned) such as the Quantum, Prophet X, P12, Montage, Jupiter X, I always end up feeling I've spent too much versus what I can accomplish with the relatively cheap or free software I already own. Thus I never keep them and I'm kinda (or rather hopefully) done going down that rabbit hole. When I sit in front of my P10 I have no regrets at all. It fits a very specific role that matters most to me.

With no midi lol

No LFO either.  ;) 

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:56:06 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

Shaw

« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2020, 03:57:17 AM »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2020, 10:41:42 AM »
As a VST, it is starting to suck...

It's one beautiful sounding VST, that's for sure. I would seriously recommend you listen to the first track of this ↓ when you get a chance.

Quote from: Nonlinear Labs
September 16 ·
Fantastic new album called ‘Oz’ by Rob Appleby as strettara. All three musical pieces are influenced by minimalism, Steve Reich and Philip Glass and were made exclusively with the Nonlinear Labs C15.

https://strettara.bandcamp.com/album/oz

LoboLives

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »

It's one beautiful sounding VST, that's for sure. I would seriously recommend you listen to the first track of this ↓ when you get a chance.

September 16 ·
Fantastic new album called ‘Oz’ by Rob Appleby as strettara. All three musical pieces are influenced by minimalism, Steve Reich and Philip Glass and were made exclusively with the Nonlinear Labs C15.

It sounds great it's just impractical without MIDI.

I understand what the creator was going for.....but he's wrong.

Shaw

« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2020, 11:14:09 AM »

September 16 ·

Oh it definitely sounds nice... but nothing that can't be done with Reaktor.  In fact, I'd bet it IS a Reaktor synth in a dedicated hardware shell... brilliant concept, but it needs MIDI. 

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2020, 11:32:15 AM »
I don't think there's any debate here. I'm simply talking about hardware synths on the market.

Shaw

« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2020, 11:58:17 AM »
I don't think there's any debate here. I'm simply talking about hardware synths on the market.

Yeah, I actually considered it (partly because it is so different), but at the end of the day, I came to the conclusions that -- for me, at least -- 
a) it's over-priced, and
b) I'd regret not having MIDI.

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2020, 12:58:36 PM »

September 16 ·

Oh it definitely sounds nice... but nothing that can't be done with Reaktor.  In fact, I'd bet it IS a Reaktor synth in a dedicated hardware shell... brilliant concept, but it needs MIDI.

It definitely started as a Reactor synth, not sure how things have changed since the first version though. I'm pretty sure the whole idea to begin with was you loaded a new synth and changed the overlays, so offering "dedicated" controls as long as you like buttons!

Shaw

« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2020, 08:48:06 PM »
Well, my transition to a 3 synth setup is complete (assuming Dave and Co. can send a batch of Prophet 5s to SW... pretty please, Dave?).

I sold my last synth today that didn't fit in the Trilogy (Moog One, Prophet 5, Prophet X) -- my Prophet 12 is off to a new home.  She will be missed.

... and I suppose I remain a hybrid purist.

« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2020, 07:56:35 AM »
That's a fun Trilogy Shaw.   Did you feel the P12 was too much over lab with the PX?
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Shaw

« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2020, 09:15:03 AM »
That's a fun Trilogy Shaw.   Did you feel the P12 was too much over lab with the PX?

I wouldn't call it "overlap"... not at all...  I had just resigned myself to a 3 synth setup (mainly due to space concerns), and the Moog One & Prophet 5 are certain keepers.  So I had to choose only one other.  Since I have so much attachment to the PX -- and I have other ideas for sample projects to do with it -- I couldn't see parting with it.  And its stereo filters are fabulous. 

In fact, though I started this thread to flesh out whether I wanted to just go all analogue (and I came very close to doing that), at the end of the day, I am going all "stereo" -- each of the 3 synths will be capable of true stereo synthesis.   

« Reply #95 on: November 13, 2020, 04:51:47 AM »
Not a purist here as I prefer sonic variety, but I'm also looking at minimizing my setup to three instruments. Just trying to find the magic permutation. Current thinking is along similar lines (although with a slightly lesser pedigree):

1. Prophet (Pro 2 or Rev 2) for analog poly
2. Moog (Grandmother) for analog mono/modular (w/ a few bits of Euro kit)
3. Sample-based workstation (considering Korg Krome EX) for digital pallette and sequencing.

@Shaw: curious as to your reasoning for letting go of your Kronos (if I'm remembering correctly) considering your current goal.

DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2020, 10:14:53 AM »
Oh, my apologies, Shaw, if you didn't have a Kronos. I may have confused you with another member.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

Shaw

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2020, 10:26:25 AM »
Oh, my apologies, Shaw, if you didn't have a Kronos. I may have confused you with another member.

I never owned a Kronos... I’m offended!  (Just joking)

I had a Roland Fantom, and like all Rolands, I didn’t get along with it. 

Shaw

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2020, 10:30:32 AM »
Not a purist here as I prefer sonic variety, but I'm also looking at minimizing my setup to three instruments. Just trying to find the magic permutation. Current thinking is along similar lines (although with a slightly lesser pedigree):

1. Prophet (Pro 2 or Rev 2) for analog poly
2. Moog (Grandmother) for analog mono/modular (w/ a few bits of Euro kit)
3. Sample-based workstation (considering Korg Krome EX) for digital pallette and sequencing.

@Shaw: curious as to your reasoning for letting go of your Kronos (if I'm remembering correctly) considering your current goal.

Solid line-up.  Keep in mind, I don’t consider 3 a magic number.  30 would be great too... but I only have room for 3.

The Pro 2 is isn’t really a poly... I’d lean toward the Rev 2.  The Grandmother is a very solid choice.  Lot’s of sonic character there for leads and basses.

And didn’t Korg just announce a new synth — Nautilus?   I don’t know enough about them, but I can’t figure out the sonic difference between it and the Kronos.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2020, 10:50:33 AM »
In fact, though I started this thread to flesh out whether I wanted to just go all analogue (and I came very close to doing that), at the end of the day, I am going all "stereo" -- each of the 3 synths will be capable of true stereo synthesis.

I think being a 'stereo purist' makes sense; it probably makes a more significant difference than the analog/digital question. I think I'd rather have true stereo on a digital synthesizer than mono on an analog. I do think true stereo makes a bigger difference with analog. I make digital patches stereo on my Montage, and it helps. But it's not the same as stereo with the Rev2.