Analog / Digital Purists?

jok3r

Re: Analog / Digital Purists?
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2020, 12:20:48 PM »
Not a purist here as I prefer sonic variety, but I'm also looking at minimizing my setup to three instruments. Just trying to find the magic permutation. Current thinking is along similar lines (although with a slightly lesser pedigree):

1. Prophet (Pro 2 or Rev 2) for analog poly
2. Moog (Grandmother) for analog mono/modular (w/ a few bits of Euro kit)
3. Sample-based workstation (considering Korg Krome EX) for digital pallette and sequencing.

@Shaw: curious as to your reasoning for letting go of your Kronos (if I'm remembering correctly) considering your current goal.

Solid line-up.  Keep in mind, I don’t consider 3 a magic number.  30 would be great too... but I only have room for 3.

The Pro 2 is isn’t really a poly... I’d lean toward the Rev 2.  The Grandmother is a very solid choice.  Lot’s of sonic character there for leads and basses.

And didn’t Korg just announce a new synth — Nautilus?   I don’t know enough about them, but I can’t figure out the sonic difference between it and the Kronos.

I don‘t think there will be much sonic difference, because they said they took the nine engines of the Kronos and put it in another housing with another UI running on the same old touch screen. Less hardware controllers while you don‘t see as much information on the new menue screens as you see on the Kronos. As an Kronos owner, I can‘t really see the point in this instrument... it‘s just that they can sell it cheaper. There is still nothing new... and that‘s exactly NOT what I hoped for.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Shaw

« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2020, 12:27:53 PM »
... Less hardware controllers while you don‘t see as much information on the new menue screens as you see on the Kronos. As an Kronos owner, I can‘t really see the point in this instrument... it‘s just that they can sell it cheaper. There is still nothing new...

That's what I had thought, but since I put zero effort into researching it, I didn't want to tell tales....  So it's the Kronos engine in a cheaper package.  A good move to increase market share, but as you said, yawn, nothing new.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Shaw

« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »
... And The There Were (Two Out of) Three...

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2020, 01:03:23 PM »
The Pro 2 is isn’t really a poly... I’d lean toward the Rev 2.

Yeah, I'm fudging here. Some might argue it's not truly analog either. But the P2 gives me a decent Sequential sound pallette and the ability to play simple chords. This is reasonable for me because I'm not a keyboard player, and presumably the Korg could fill the polyphony gap where needed. Plus, I already own the P2.  :)

That being said, I think the Rev 2 is a nearly perfect instrument as an analog poly, and an 8-voice would probably suffice for me. If I can part with the P2, it will be for a Rev 2.
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2020, 01:06:37 PM »

Wait . . . are you eliminating another synth? Or am I completely off base . . .
DSI Pro 2 | Yamaha MODX 6 | Volcas: FM2/Kick  | Roland JU-06A | 104HP Eurorack | Arturia Drumbrute Impact | Eventide H9 | EHX Grand Canyon | iPad

Shaw

« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2020, 01:23:37 PM »
Wait . . . are you eliminating another synth? Or am I completely off base . . .

No, I’m awaiting the arrival of the Prophet 5. 

Shaw

« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2020, 01:25:21 PM »
The Pro 2 is isn’t really a poly... I’d lean toward the Rev 2.

Yeah, I'm fudging here. Some might argue it's not truly analog either. But the P2 gives me a decent Sequential sound pallette and the ability to play simple chords. This is reasonable for me because I'm not a keyboard player, and presumably the Korg could fill the polyphony gap where needed. Plus, I already own the P2.  :)

That being said, I think the Rev 2 is a nearly perfect instrument as an analog poly, and an 8-voice would probably suffice for me. If I can part with the P2, it will be for a Rev 2.

You could also make an argument for the Pro 2 + Rev 2 + Korg flavor of preference, and drop the Grandmother.

... just a thought.

« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2020, 01:42:47 PM »
Yup, that's another permutation I've considered because the P2 has greater sonic diversity. And just when I think that's the way to go, I play the Moog and say to myself, What were you thinking?!

Shaw

« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2020, 02:49:15 PM »
Yup, that's another permutation I've considered because the P2 has greater sonic diversity. And just when I think that's the way to go, I play the Moog and say to myself, What were you thinking?!

Yep... hard choice.

a mother 32 + the Pro 2 might be a happy medium.

jg666

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2020, 11:51:58 PM »
Not sure if you're all familiar with the videos of Tim Shoebridge, but there's an interesting (in my opinion :) ) video here where he looks at making the Moog One sound 'more vintage'.

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Shaw

« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2020, 11:19:01 AM »
Not sure if you're all familiar with the videos of Tim Shoebridge, but there's an interesting (in my opinion :) ) video here where he looks at making the Moog One sound 'more vintage'.

Tim does great videos.  I've done similar tricks by using a random LFO as the Source + Random Keyed as the Controller, but I like his solution better as it saves you from sacrificing the LFO. 

jg666

« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2020, 11:52:00 AM »
I found it very interesting as I’d no idea just how deep you can go with the Moog One. As a long time software developer it appeals to me :)

It also makes me wonder if there’s any limits to what Moog can do with this synth!
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Shaw

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2020, 12:06:30 PM »
I found it very interesting as I’d no idea just how deep you can go with the Moog One. As a long time software developer it appeals to me :)

It also makes me wonder if there’s any limits to what Moog can do with this synth!

I wasn't joking when I said earlier that it was like having Kurzweil's VAST architecture in an analogue poly.

Shaw

« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2020, 01:07:35 PM »
The 5 has arrived!

Without any hype or fluff, it sounds superb.  I've never owner / played / touched a vintage Prophet 5, but this one to me is just a hoot to play.  You pretty quickly get lost turning knobs and exploring.  Any anyone who said the knobs on this thing are serious, that was an understatement.  This is easily one of the most solid feeling synths on the market. 

Anyway, here it is at home...

Also, I wanted to convince myself that I really do want the module so that I can create a stereo pair, so I did a quick little recording test.  Nothing fancy, just a sound we are all familiar with.  Recorded once in mono, then recorded a second time with slight variations in filter, envelopes and LFO and panned hard right with the original panned hard left.

Oh yeah... I definitely want the stereo pair.

Here are the recordings... no effects, just leveled for volume. Recorded at 96/24, bounced to 48k .mp3

First the mono: http://modulatable.com/files/P5_Tom_mono.mp3

Then the stereo: http://modulatable.com/files/P5_Tom_stereo.mp3

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2020, 01:11:29 PM »
Shaw, are you trying to create a financial crisis for me?  I know what you're up to.

By the way, congratulations.  She looks and sounds gorgeous.

Shaw

« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2020, 01:20:44 PM »
Shaw, are you trying to create a financial crisis for me?  I know what you're up to.

By the way, congratulations.  She looks and sounds gorgeous.

Sorry dude, not trying to create troubles.

Don’t you have multiple prophet 8s?  ....   ???

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2020, 01:48:15 PM »
I'm sticking with a two synth setup, the P10 and Jupiter X. Originally I was disappointed with the JX as I wanted it to do everything including convincing analog, so I packed it up shortly after I got it. Then this weekend I decided to break it out and was stunned at the digital sounds I was able to get out of it. I figure with the P10, my analog needs are completely satisfied, so why does the JX need to compete in that area? Sure, I could use Roland's cloud service and get the same results, but honestly the JX is probably the funnest piece of equipment I've had when its niggles are not getting in the way.

I've got everything I need covered with this setup, except I could use a drum machine with extensive external polyphonic sequencing options. I've always went for coolness over functionality with my drum machines/groove boxes, but I probably should resist this urge moving forward... An intuitive UI should be key this time around.

LPF83

« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2020, 02:51:12 PM »
Sure, I could use Roland's cloud service and get the same results, but honestly the JX is probably the funnest piece of equipment I've had when its niggles are not getting in the way.

Only thing is the Roland cloud VSTs, as good as they sound, are poorly optimized CPU nightmares.  I had the cloud service for a while and at the time Roland was giving perpetual use of 2 instruments if you held the subscription for a year (which made it a decent deal).  I kept the Juno 106 and the JV1080.  The other day I decided to load up the JV1080 -- sounds great but the Cubase resource meter, which was not showing unreasonable averages, kept spiking, and it was the only instrument track loaded (the CPU is a 6 core i7-5930K, not a slouch).  It wasn't affecting the sound (no popping), but if I see something like that during the initial creation of a track, I pull the plug-in because so much is going to be added later, things like Ozone on the master.  I don't like to start out with low CPU headroom.

None of this would be an issue for me on the Jupiter-X, as it doesn't have the overhead of a PC operating system and can handily do multiple sounds.  But, I only have room for one more full size KB and that slot is reserved for the P10.
I think you're doing the right thing, the Roland boards have a sound that works well in a mix.  If I get a Roland synth, they are going to have to come out with a module with immediacy in the controls, and not the Jupiter Xm.   But, that's a limitation of my physical studio space and my own priorities.

Right now I'm actually VERY pleased with what my new P12 module has brought into my studio, it brought the digital mojo I needed and then some.  I was really tempted to pull the trigger on a Kodamo Essence FM MKII when I saw they are temporarily discounted to about $1300US... but I can get lots of good FM sounds out of the P12 with a programming model that works like my other subtractive synths, and the workflow benefit of that plus the analog filter is priceless to me.  Over the last few days I've been sampling various sounds from the P12 into TAL Sampler (sampling plugin that allows you to emulate old chips like EMU II etc and dirty up the samples).  So much fun!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 02:53:06 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2020, 03:23:25 PM »

Shaw

« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2020, 04:00:00 PM »
Then the stereo: http://modulatable.com/files/P5_Tom_stereo.mp3

That's some serious business there…

I know, right?!?!

I mean the prophet 5 sounds deadly in mono, but paired with a stereo module???? oh mama...

I will do some more stereo recording examples for you guys.