Reissuing old Synthesizers like the Poly Evolver

Reissuing old Synthesizers like the Poly Evolver
« on: October 06, 2020, 08:55:49 AM »
I would love to see older Synthesizers reissued. Like the Mopho, Poly Evolver (Rack !!!) etc.

I wonder about you guys, would like to buy a new old designs like the Evolver etc. ?

And what do you think, why something like this never happened so far? Do you think it's not feasable from a business perspective ? I think there could be a market especially if you promote the reissues as LIMITED editions. Like 500 Tetras or 500 Poly Evolver Racks etc. Moog did this with the Sirin (however it was not a reissue).

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Reissuing old Synthesizers like the Poly Evolver
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 09:05:06 AM »
I wasn't too keen on the idea at first, but as more instruments have been revived by different companies, the notion of re-issues has become very appealing.  My only qualifier is that they should have a few modern improvements - most importantly, an increase in the number of voices, and in the case of vintage instruments, MIDI.  Aside from that, the immediacy of the older instruments is so refreshing.  Their emphasis on the fundamentals of synthesis, to the neglect of other features that are common today, is actually a strength, in my opinion.  Now I'm every bit as interested in re-issues as in new designs.

I would be extremely interested in a Poly Evolver Keyboard Rev2, presuming it had at least eight voices.  And I would commit to buying one immediately, since, after so many other brilliant creations, it still strikes me Dave's masterpiece.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:33:03 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 01:22:03 AM »
I am sort of interested, but really I like moving forward rather than looking back.  I have always lamented the end of the Evolvers, but I feel the Pro-3 is the beginning of a new Evolver-esque lineage.  A 4th oscillator would make it very clear that this is the case, but everything about the Pro-3 screams "I'm the son of the Prophet and Evolver!!!!!"  (Spirituality and Science coming together?)

I do wish the Tetra was reissued, but only so I can get a 2nd one brand new and increase my voice count to eight.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:37:29 AM »
The thing is, only the original Evolver sounds like an original Evolver. Especially the tuned feedback path. I sold it back then to get a Prophet 12. I totally like the P12 and will never sell it but it simply sounds different, especially the tuned feedback path. And so will the Pro 3 feedback path.

More voices sure, but I for one would like it as original as possible. And the Rack version is almost impossible to get and very, very expensive.

That said I'm ofcourse interested in new designs as well, a polyphonic Pro 3 in particular. But a new 1:1 Evolver would be sommething I would immidiately buy, too.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 08:10:43 AM »
All true, but I never use tuned feedback, and the Evolver still has a thoroughly distinctive sound.  I've had a Prophet 12, and it sounds nothing like a PEK.  The Pro 3 has great potential for a polyphonic form, but it, too, is a totally different instrument.  After all the instruments DSI/Sequential has produced, I find that none of them resembles an Evolver in sonic character.

As for a perfect reproduction of the PEK, I think a main question would be the digital aliasing from the digital oscillators.  It's one of the most recognizable qualities of the line, and can add an often unexpected musical sparkle to a moment.  Yet, at other times you may not want it.  I would say, as with the re-issues that have offered switches allowing for the various filter types used on iterations of the same instrument (Korg ARP Odyssey, Prophet 5/10), provide a switch that selects either aliasing or non-aliasing oscillators.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:34:44 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 12:41:58 AM »
All true, but I never use tuned feedback, and the Evolver still has a thoroughly distinctive sound.  I've had a Prophet 12, and it sounds nothing like a PEK.  The Pro 3 has great potential for a polyphonic form, but it, too, is a totally different instrument.  After all the instruments DSI/Sequential has produced, I find that none of them resembles an Evolver in sonic character.

As for a perfect reproduction of the PEK, I think a main question would be the digital aliasing from the digital oscillators.  It's one of the most recognizable qualities of the line, and can add an often unexpected musical sparkle to a moment.  Yet, at other times you may not want it.  I would say, as with the re-issues that have offered switches allowing for the various filter types used on iterations of the same instrument (Korg ARP Odyssey, Prophet 5/10), provide a switch that selects either aliasing or non-aliasing oscillators.

Perhaps a dial similar to the Slop on the P6/REV2/PX etc just something you can dial in to taste.

Although wouldn't hack and decimate achieve a similar effect?

chysn

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 10:50:47 AM »
Perhaps a dial similar to the Slop on the P6/REV2/PX etc just something you can dial in to taste.

I'm working on something like this for the Pro 3 via my WAV2Evolver application. You'll be able to upload or create an Evolver-format 128-sample waveform and download it as a Pro 3 wavetable that morphs from a crunchy 128-step waveform to an interpolated 1024-step waveform. So you can have all the aliasing by turning the Shape knob all the way down.

It'll go a lot faster once I actually get my Pro 3, of course, but the wavetable generation code is done.

As for re-issues, I see a trajectory of DSI/Sequential stuff getting better and better. I don't think I'd go back to the stamped metal project-box-wall-wart-Curtis-filter-Deoxit days.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 12:48:56 PM »

The closest I have found to the PEK is the Tempest, sounds a bit of a strange statement and may just be me!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 02:35:49 PM »

That would be even better - setting the degree of aliasing.

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 11:20:49 PM »

The closest I have found to the PEK is the Tempest, sounds a bit of a strange statement and may just be me!

Nah. The engine is very similar. The only difference is the Tempest has ROM samples on the digital oscillators section in addition to wavetables but the overall architecture is quite similar.

Bahm

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 12:12:24 AM »
Tempest is more like a mopho plus the 2 Samples per Voice and highpass. Evolver can do way more crazy stuff. Digital FM, Ringmod, Stereo Filter, Feedback, Delay, Wavecycling, Bitcrush, maybe something i forgot.

But btw. for me the evolver is still my most loved synth. Would love to see a new Polyevolver, maybe a desktop version with all knobs.
Updates: 8 Voices maybe, dry/wet for bitcrush and distortion and interpolation between the digital waves. Modulation of synced lfo speed like on tempest with the sliders. And a way to keep deep frequencies while using resonance. But i wouldn't spend 3000 bucks on it, thats the other side. Maybe i would if its good enough, because i know i wouldn't need another synth ever again.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:08:58 AM by Bahm »

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 07:22:32 PM »
I have a gut feeling this will be Sequential’s next synth. I really hope they don’t start doing reissues for the sake of them. I’d like to see the Evolver....well...evolve. The Pro 3 architecture with two VCOs and two Wavetable oscillators. Linear FM, dual effects. Poly sequencer. Bi timbral. Etc.

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 10:47:53 AM »
I have a gut feeling this will be Sequential’s next synth. I really hope they don’t start doing reissues for the sake of them. I’d like to see the Evolver....well...evolve. The Pro 3 architecture with two VCOs and two Wavetable oscillators. Linear FM, dual effects. Poly sequencer. Bi timbral. Etc.

Agreed!
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1