Prophet REV2 - Rank noob problems

Prophet REV2 - Rank noob problems
« on: October 06, 2020, 01:01:56 AM »
I have searched But, cannot find a definitive guide to getting the prophet to play 'through' Logic.

Yes. I am a complete noob trying to figure all of this out.

I am using Logic Pro X. The synth is connected via MIDI to the Midi-in of a Steinberg UR242 which is connected to my Mac by USB.

When creating an instrument track in LPX, I cannot seem to figure out the settings to just let the synth play through the system. (Practice mode?) No filters, no VST or anything else. I just want to play the synth through the computer without interference in the signal. (I will eventually be recording though)

What I have managed so far is to use the synth as a 'controller'... The system will only express the sounds defined in the instrument track settings. And, even that, I don't know how I did the setup since I can't seem to repeat it.

I know that I am probably missing some very basic points here - due to the complete lack of information out there on the topic.

But, a head nod in the correct direction would be very appreciated.

Re: Prophet REV2 - Rank noob problems
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 03:35:33 AM »
You need to understand that midi only carries note on/off, velocity, and controller and program change signals. So, from your midi out of the rev2, you currently only send note-info to your mac. There, it can be used to play sounds that are available in your mac. If you want your own rev2 to produce the notes you play through your mac, you need to feed the midi signal from your mac (midi out) back into your rev2 (midi in). You will only be able to hear your rev2 through the rev2's outputs. There are plenty of videos on youtube about connecting synth to computer, e.g., [url = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHnKLzmkExo]this one[/url].

Note that in the above setup, your rev2 will play "dubbled": 1) the notes you play directly (local control), and 2) the signal returning from your mac. If you only want the latter (which I expect), turn "local control" off in the global menu of the rev2.

Or are these answers too basic and do you have other problems?

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 09:08:18 AM »
As a post above mine says, check your configuration.
I also use Behringer UMC1820 sometimes connected to ADA2800.
So you need to create midi in/out connection (either via midi cables or usb) so your REV 2 would receive recorded MIDI from logic.
your MIDI in in logic for that track should be either REV 2 (if you are using usb, it is class compliant so it recognises your REV 2 midi) or Behringer (if you use midi cables).
I use Cubase and create virtual instrument track, and then run external instrument on it (like i do with most of my synths, except those sequenced out of the Cubase).
If not, you have to create audio track and midi track.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 08:31:30 PM »

Or are these answers too basic and do you have other problems?

Not at all. This was information that I need to understand the system. Thank you for taking the time to explain it. I did check, and my noob logic had already cabled it this way since I am using a MIDI hub. So far, I am still working to get more than note information into my Logic tracks.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 08:33:44 PM »

So you need to create midi in/out connection (either via midi cables or usb) so your REV 2 would receive recorded MIDI from logic.
your MIDI in in logic for that track should be either REV 2 (if you are using usb, it is class compliant so it recognises your REV 2 midi) or Behringer (if you use midi cables).

That was it. Thanks. I was pointing back to the wrong device. I think that's got it now.