The time has come to get an amp :)

The time has come to get an amp :)
« on: October 03, 2020, 10:03:36 AM »
So I have just started with synths and have been using just a headset up until now, occasionally using an amp at my friends house.  Now I am ready to buy an amp.  What would you all recommend to work well with the Rev2 at not too crazy of a price.  thanks :)

Re: The time has come to get an amp :)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »
Which amp you need depends totally on where (room size, alone or together with other musicians) and for which purpose (types of sound you use) you want to use it. Give some more info.

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 06:53:02 AM »
Hi skipgilles.  Sometimes playing with a full band.  Room size is hard to predict, my room at home is like 12 by 15 where I have my synthesizer, but the room we practice in a group in is likely to change.  I also have plans to play outside from time to time :)  Types of sounds will be really varied, mostly in the realm of rock and indie rock, and synthwave.  Also ambient and psychedelic.

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 10:07:11 AM »
Sounds like a similar situation I have! I opened this thread a while ago. Conclusion: for in a band room, get a PA-like system. I currently still play over the big PA, but will buy two active 12 inch powered monitors soon. I find stereo very important for synth. (you could consider 15 inch, if you have a lot of space). My experience is that you need a lot of power to really appreciate quality patches in a band situation.

For at home, it's a different story. There are some threads about studio monitors here. I play over two 8-inch von Neumans. If you want to spend less, I recommend buying something slightly bigger, the cool thing of the von Neumans is that they deliver a lot of bass in a small package.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 06:46:40 AM »
Thanks Skipgilles :). Yes I have noticed a big difference in my patches while using my bands all purpose speakers, we lose some of the detail I can hear on my headphones.  I'll look into that thread, just been so busy away from computer.  And yes definetly at home might have to just get something smaller, I'll check out that Von Neumans.  Thanks again :)

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 06:56:22 AM »
I just googled the studio speakers I have (KH120) and was shocked to see that they are actually only 5.25''. Crazy how much bass and mid they give in that tiny size. I choose them because they gave - by far - the most realistic sound when I tried a bunch of monitor speakers with Pianoteq piano software.

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2020, 04:29:45 AM »
Thanks Skipgilles :) doing a bit of research on them now.  I think a Monitor would be the best for me to start with.  Also price doesn't seem too ridiculous.

maxter

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2020, 05:38:21 AM »
Try out a few amps in your local store, if you have the option. My experience with amps is that many are ”muddy” when it comes to synths, especially at higher volume/gain. I personally don’t want my sound ”coloured” by an amp, but to many guitarists their particular amp is part of their sound, because of the colouring it adds. Especially the ”boominess” bothers me. For your band application, I’d recommend going just a bit bigger than you actually ”need”, because imo the boominess becomes especially apparent in the higher gain stages, so push the amps you try out a bit to see how they behave. Depending on the sound you want, of course. In my case, when I played in a band somewhat similar to what you describe, the mid range frequencies often got quite occupied, so my role was mainly adding some power in the lows-lowmids where wanted, and atmospherics in the top frequencies.
The Way the Truth and the Life

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 06:04:25 AM »
A few years ago I was looking at powered speakers and noticed that Rick Wakeman was using a pair of EV ETX-12P’s. I was playing in a group at the time, so it was easier to justify getting them. They are more expensive than many but really seem perfect. Whatever you get, remember the importance of playing in stereo. Many sounds, especially piano, through a single amp are going to be disappointing.

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 06:47:27 AM »
Ya definetly want to try them out before I buy, but now I think I am waiting a tad bit longer before I get one, so I have a couple months to figure it out hehe.  Thanks everybody this community is very nice.

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2020, 06:08:54 PM »
Get a stereo tube amp.  They are great trust me!  Tubes are just better; I know this.  Tubes are much more clear and better sounding than transistors.  They are capable of fitting a more detailed wider sound in the spectrum for music.  You can later get an unpowered mixer.  Then it will become a bullet proof PA system capable of taking all the punishment of analog synths and not cost that much in electricity...
the distortion is from a  tube overdrive on a parallel curcuit, but tube amps have exceptional headroom and don't sound as bad when broken.

Like this one here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoffman-Mark-III-Stereo-Tube-Amplifier-Amp-220V-Prototype-Read-Description/193703917641?hash=item2d19a73849:g:EuoAAOSwpo9fgSBS

I wouldn't spend more than 350$$  either.

Tubes are great.  Be sure not to burn your tube amps out though and have multiple tubes ready so that you can swap them out and give the old ones a break for reuse later...  A tube amp will last decades.  Mines is from the 50's...  Two transformers for each channel and 2 - 12ax7 and 2 el84's per channel plus a rectifier tube.  Small little 15watt amp, but that's all you need; different speakers configurations for different situations.  15 tube watts are worth more than transistors. 

Make sure the one you get is grounded properly also because mine has a bad ground and will send a voltage through your line level audio that can damage your synthesizer...   Sometimes it makes it sound better, but it is your own risk and you'll get shocked.  I am always touching the case to discharge the buildup into my right arm.  I think all I have to do is install a 3 prong outlet and wire the ground to the case to make it better.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 06:29:55 PM by ryankm »
16 voice prophet rev2, chroma polaris, minibrute, bass & guitars