Feature Request Prophet-5 vintage knob function in P6/OB6

LoboLives

Re: Feature Request Prophet-5 vintage knob function in P6/OB6
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2020, 01:58:07 PM »
Adding envelope variation to the slop knob would be a massive improvement and would be a huge gesture to prophet 6 / ob6 owners. I'd certainly pay for it. Frankly, I'm trying hard not to feel a bit resentful about being an after thought... especially because poly-mod is very weak in comparison to the vintage Sequential and the new prophet 5/10. Even Behringer's poly-mod goes deeper. That's a whole project that has needed fixing for sometime.

I made an account just to comment on this as well and perhaps create a poly-mod request, if one hasn't been already.

The poly mod section has a wider range on the P6 than the P5. In fact, everything does on the P6.

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2020, 04:52:07 PM »

The poly mod section has a wider range on the P6 than the P5. In fact, everything does on the P6.
[/quote]

My direct experience is my pro one goes deeper (I will compare again though), and I recall the prophet 3.3 going deeper as well. I was told that prophet 6 is deeper on another thread, but I don't think so. Perhaps I'm wrong about depth or it is other factors or perhaps prophet 6 just sounds tamer, but it definitely sounds a bit tame in comparison. Around 31 minutes in this video he gets into poly-mod and offers a good demonstration of what I'm referring to with poly-mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkF5aI3t7hY&t=2672s
Sequential Prophet 10, Dave Smith Oberheim Ob-6, Dave Smith Prophet '08

LoboLives

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2020, 12:27:11 PM »

My direct experience is my pro one goes deeper (I will compare again though), and I recall the prophet 3.3 going deeper as well. I was told that prophet 6 is deeper on another thread, but I don't think so. Perhaps I'm wrong about depth or it is other factors or perhaps prophet 6 just sounds tamer, but it definitely sounds a bit tame in comparison. Around 31 minutes in this video he gets into poly-mod and offers a good demonstration of what I'm referring to with poly-mod.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkF5aI3t7hY&t=2672s
[/quote]

I'm not sure what else to tell you but if someone from Sequential confirms that the Poly Mod section of the Prophet 6 has a wider range (in fact everything on the Prophet 6 does compared to the P5) then I'm fairly confident that it's nothing more than a subconscious thing rather than actual fact.

Kja

« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2020, 01:21:16 PM »
Poly mod on p6 doesn't go as high because the oscillator doesn't go as high.. I believe this is a result of the filter needing the same range as it is a poly mod source too.. The filter doesn't go as high because it is able to have bass compensation with resonance that the p5 does not have.. Personally i would rather have bass compensation..
 And you can get it higher then in that video by using negative amount of poly mod.

LoboLives

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2020, 07:12:01 PM »
Perhaps someone from Sequential can confirm that.

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2021, 02:42:04 PM »
Thanks for the update. It sounds amazing, makes it feel so alive!

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2021, 03:00:08 PM »
Nothing to add--I just think this post should go to the top.  Salivating for some demos!

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2021, 06:11:43 PM »
 >> Feature: Slop now supports normal slop or Vintage operation

I've put the latest firmware on my Pr6.  How do I activate the Vintage operation instead of the normal slop operation?

Chip

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2021, 06:32:22 PM »

I've put the latest firmware on my Pr6.  How do I activate the Vintage operation instead of the normal slop operation?

Chip

Oh, I got it.  Hold "bank" and then hit "globals".  This is a 3rd page of globals.  Press button "4".  This is Vintage on/off.  His the "select" button to toggle up to "on".

Sweet.

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2021, 06:37:38 PM »

Chip

Oh, I got it.  Hold "bank" and then hit "globals".  This is a 3rd page of globals.  Press button "4".  This is Vintage on/off.  His the "select" button to toggle up to "on".

Sweet.

Where did you find that info?

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2021, 06:40:08 PM »

Chip

Sweet.

Where did you find that info?
It’s in the update notes

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2021, 06:43:30 PM »
The Vintage knob sounds great with the differences introduced on the envelope timings...especially for those Tom Sawyer high-resonance sweeps.  Nice work!

I did have a not-so-secret hope, however, that the Vintage knob would also introduce variations in the glide rate for each voice.  The goal here would be to recreate the detuning effect that is often heard when gliding / portamento between notes on vintage synths.  To my ears, it's a super-exciting effect.

http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2013/04/portamento-voice-spreading-from-monopoly.html

This transitory detuning effect occurs because, in an old analog synth, each voice had its own glide "circuit" (capacitor) whose values had wide tolerances.  As a result, each voice had its own glide rate.  When played in unison, the different glide rates would cause that detuned-swarm that would eventually resolve once all the voices got to their destination pitch.  So cool (to me).  It's unfortunate that this effect didn't end up as part of this (delightfully free!) Vintage knob upgrade.

Very grateful, though!  Love the variation in envelope timing...it really gives some magic to the Unison mode of the Prophet 6!

Chip
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 07:09:37 PM by chipaudette »

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2021, 07:15:26 PM »
ah, I see. thanks. I didn't think to look in the file that says it's about MPE to find the Vintage mode instructions.

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2021, 04:38:11 AM »
thanks sequential, great update!

what exactly happens to saved patches when changing from slop to vintage?
does vintage have the same value as the slop value i saved or is it zero?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 04:41:27 AM by 666 »

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2021, 07:49:24 AM »
How does one say "thank you" in a meaningful way, for such a characterful upgrade to an existing product?

Vintage Mode absolutely transforms the P6, relative to the existing Slop functionality and - while I'm probably not necessarily the obvious target for a P5/P10r4 - shows that Sequential goes the extra mile for their existing customers.

Now I'm _really_ tempted to hear what this does to an OB-6.

I've noticed that, with Vintage Mode engaged, I play the device differently than I did previously, having to accommodate for the variation in attacks, filter cutoff, etc. It's a different kind of articulation.

I haven't done any sound design starting with Vintage Mode engaged yet, so I suspect that that will change my approach on patches that would otherwise use up an LFO somewhere.

Also - I feel bad that I haven't tried out the MPE support; that's no minor functional update in and of itself. Good job, Sequential!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 08:11:45 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2021, 12:13:32 PM »
Thank you deeply Sequential for adding this to the P6.

I can finally get the sound I wanted ever since purchasing my P6.

Recently I watched Julian Pollack on Youtube comparing the P5 and P6.
The P6 stood out as very "clinical" and "sterile" compared to the randomness and musicality as an effect of using the Vintage knob on the P5.
Now it seems that the exact same feature has really been implemented, and I already feel a lot more inspiration and musicality flowing out from the instrument than ever before.

I think that the P6 has grown over night making it a much more "completed" and iconic instrument.
Absolutely the best thing that happened so far in 2021 ;)

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2021, 03:43:30 AM »
I have two Requests for this update.  1. For some patches I prefer slop over vintage and we have no way to save each patch with slop or vintage.  Wish Vintage vs slop was not a global option but a per patch option.  2. In vintage mode up to 50% the tuning variation is practical but after 50% it get so out of tune that it not musical but the other random parameters seem fine.  I wish the tuning would have a slope to it that at 50% it was less intense and past 50% to 100% it adds only a little more.  This way the vintage could be practical at high settings.

Added: Changed my mind on the pitch request - seems very patch specific and often its just fine as it is.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 04:57:51 AM by AudioSoundzz »

« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2021, 05:33:29 AM »

Added: Changed my mind on the pitch request - seems very patch specific and often its just fine as it is.
  Lol - well seem I changed my mind again after more testing.  Seems the pitch variation does get out of control after 50%.   In addition it would be cool if the Vintage knob would add a little bit of random to the distortion only if its turned up past 0.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 06:09:31 AM by AudioSoundzz »

LoboLives

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2021, 07:35:58 AM »
Any videos or audio examples of this in action?

blewis

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2021, 07:55:31 AM »
I had a similar sensation/revelation when hearing it. I likened it to the “feel and sag” of a good guitar amp modeler. On those products, how the device responds to touch is part of how you play it and how it ultimately sounds to the musician (or “operator” in my case)

I've noticed that, with Vintage Mode engaged, I play the device differently than I did previously, having to accommodate for the variation in attacks, filter cutoff, etc. It's a different kind of articulation.