Can somebody listen to this - is something wrong?

Can somebody listen to this - is something wrong?
« on: April 20, 2016, 03:30:22 PM »
Hello - I've purchased a P6 recently and some of the presets have pops and clicks, some sound intentional where others not so much.  For instance while exploring different sequences I ran into this on preset 45.  I also tested 545 and had the same result.  Can somebody listen to it and compare it to theirs by going to that preset and playing the sequence and let me know if they have the same issue?

https://soundcloud.com/woodenreason/p6-f45/s-ic0jq

blewis

Re: Can somebody listen to this - is something wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 07:29:22 PM »
Those pops are not normal on your soundcloud. I'm listening to patch 545 now on mine.

You need to contact their support line. Try to double check with 545 - which I think you've labeled as F45 (probably the same, but just double checking you're not listening to a user patch)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:34:51 PM by blewis »

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 04:15:35 AM »
Preset 545 of my P6 also hear a similar sound.
Prophet6, Prophet12, Prophet REV2, TETRA, PRO2, PRO3,  Moog Minitaur, Moog Mother32, Nord Lead 2x, YAMAHA EX5

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 05:06:28 AM »
Same thing on my Prophet 6 firmware 1.2.8

to improve patch 545:

turn Oscillator 2 fully anti clockwise

set: filter envelopes ----

Attack: Full Anticlockwise/
decay: 2oclock or more /
Sustain Full Anticlockwise/
Release full Clockwise.

depending on your knob settings you might need to turn them fully clockwise/anticlockwise to pick up preset position.

see this thread:

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,283.msg2980.html#msg2980

What you are hearing is normal and has to do with the sub octave oscillator in conjunction with sync that makes the click present. It is the known and expected operation of the sub oscillator when sync is enabled. Nothing is physically wrong with the synth in this way.

The sub oscillator is a triangle wave generated by a flip fop which is driven from the start of oscillator 2's waveshape. When sync is on, oscillator 1's waveshape is retriggered by oscillator 2's frequency. This means that oscillator 2 is retriggered as well, though the frequency of the sub is half that of oscillator 1.

Depending on the oscillators' respective root notes, the sub oscillator may not work consistently from one voice to the next since it is being retriggered at the same time as oscillator 1.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:40:09 AM by synththeory »

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 06:38:32 AM »
thank you to everyone for the feedback and explanations.  this helps alleviate some anxiety...

i did mean preset 45 and and tested 545 as well - they both have the same behavior with the pops and clicks.

i noticed this after upgrading to 1.2.8b as well - perhaps it can fixed?

I'll go test this on the floor model i purchased this in as well just to make sure.

thanks again!

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 06:42:44 AM »
Just edited my post above with settings that will improve patch 545 behaviour no end, give it a try.

Yes 1.2.8 might have changed some things. You could email support and and ask them to confirm if this particular patch changes behaviour after the latest firmware update. Saves us lot from having to re-load earlier firmware.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:45:36 AM by synththeory »

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 09:17:00 AM »
Thanks for this - i actually love this sound way more!

Same thing on my Prophet 6 firmware 1.2.8

to improve patch 545:

turn Oscillator 2 fully anti clockwise

set: filter envelopes ----

Attack: Full Anticlockwise/
decay: 2oclock or more /
Sustain Full Anticlockwise/
Release full Clockwise.

depending on your knob settings you might need to turn them fully clockwise/anticlockwise to pick up preset position.

see this thread:

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,283.msg2980.html#msg2980

What you are hearing is normal and has to do with the sub octave oscillator in conjunction with sync that makes the click present. It is the known and expected operation of the sub oscillator when sync is enabled. Nothing is physically wrong with the synth in this way.

The sub oscillator is a triangle wave generated by a flip fop which is driven from the start of oscillator 2's waveshape. When sync is on, oscillator 1's waveshape is retriggered by oscillator 2's frequency. This means that oscillator 2 is retriggered as well, though the frequency of the sub is half that of oscillator 1.

Depending on the oscillators' respective root notes, the sub oscillator may not work consistently from one voice to the next since it is being retriggered at the same time as oscillator 1.