The New Sequential Prophet-5 and Prophet-10

Shaw

Re: The New Sequential Prophet-5 and Prophet-10
« Reply #280 on: November 01, 2020, 08:35:28 AM »

Someone from Sequential stated that his Rev 3 (which the owner admitted to having serviced by a 3rd party) was noticeably brighter than the several Vintage Rev 3s they used when developing the Rev 4.

Well, I guess my Prophet 5 rev 3 that I had back in 2009 must have been "noticeably brighter" too!   ::)
That is very easily possible.  I think people are underestimating the degree of variance between individual examples of these vintage synths.  Especially once you through into the mix decades of maintenance (or the lack thereof) by 3rd parties having wildly varying levels of expertise in maintaining vintage synths.

... and I'm certainly not talking down any of these synths... if it sounds good to you, that is all that matters.  My point was simply that I just don't think any one Prophet 5 can be said to be the standard ...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Shaw

« Reply #281 on: November 01, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »
This is the trap that a company will fall into if it persists in releasing re-issues: the product will be judged, not by a standard of quality, but by a standard of comparison.  There's a happy freedom in creating only newly designed instruments, and equally in buying them.  No nagging references to the past.

Well said.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #282 on: November 01, 2020, 04:12:33 PM »
This is the trap that a company will fall into if it persists in releasing re-issues: the product will be judged, not by a standard of quality, but by a standard of comparison.  There's a happy freedom in creating only newly designed instruments, and equally in buying them.  No nagging references to the past.

Well said.

This is why I hope they don’t even entertain the idea of it. It’s pointless because no one will ever be happy with it. It’s a dangerous trap to fall into.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #283 on: November 01, 2020, 04:54:58 PM »

Well said.

This is why I hope they don’t even entertain the idea of it. It’s pointless because no one will ever be happy with it. It’s a dangerous trap to fall into.

I do believe this is the case.  The harder companies try, the more people get frustrated at the lack of a perfect match between the sound of the old and that of the new.  YouTube video comments are full of such complaints.

When the Prophet '08 first came out in 2007, there were endless complaints that it didn't sound enough like the Prophet 5.  It was presumed that such was the only standard by which the instrument should be judged.  I personally didn't care because I had never played a P5.  And now I'm thankful for it, for not carrying such a burden, because it demonstrably spoils one's enjoyment of excellent modern instruments.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:45:18 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #284 on: November 01, 2020, 06:02:30 PM »

Well said.

I do believe this is the case.  The harder companies try, the more people get frustrated at the lack of a perfect match between the sound of the old and that of the new.  YouTube video comments are full of such complaints.

When the Prophet '08 first came out in 2007, there were endless complaints that it didn't sound enough like the Prophet 5.  It was presumed that such was the only standard by which the instrument must be judged.  I personally didn't care because I had never played a P5.  And now I'm thankful for it, for not carrying such a burden, because it demonstrably spoils one's enjoyment of excellent modern instruments.

Was just saying earlier in another thread I don’t even think it’s about the sound it’s about the status. I fell into that for a while with guitars and amps but eventually after so many mishaps on stage and so many disasters on eBay I really couldn’t care when something was made or if so and so played it...I just want it to sound good and be reliable.

ddp

« Reply #285 on: November 17, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »
What's the difference between the Prophet 5 reissue and the Prophet 6?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnWUHld91Ko

J3PO (unwrapped via www.matrixsynth.com)

"In this video, we take a deep dive into the key differences between the Sequential Prophet 5/Prophet 10 (Rev 4) Reissue and the Sequential Prophet 6. This video focuses on the sound and functionality of the two synthesizers; where they differ and where they overlap.

Chapters:

00:12 - Introduction
00:58 - Part 1: Prophet 6 "main" differences
04:03 - Part 2: Prophet 5/10 "main" differences
06:48 - Part 3: "direct" sound comparisons (similar patches)
27:17 - Part 4: patches that begin to reveal inherent differences
32:44 - Part 5: Prophet 6 "unique" patches
39:31 - Part 6: Prophet 5/10 patches, demonstrating raw "tone" & "timbre"
48:55 - Part 7: Conclusion and Final Thoughts

The two synthesizers were recorded directly into Pro Tools at 48khz with Universal Audio Apollo preamps. No external FX were used in the recording of the sounds unless where noted in the video. The two synths were leveled in terms of gain as carefully as possible to create the most unbiased listening environment.

Three things to note when viewing this video:

1. I use the terms "Prophet 5" and "Prophet 10" interchangeably, as the only difference between the two synths is that the Prophet 10 has five additional voices.

1. Though I contributed to some of the "factory" presets for the Sequential Prophet 5/10 (rev 4), we are not comparing "factory" presets in this video. I have crafted all the presets in this presentation to show you as carefully as possible how similar the synths can sound, and how vastly different they can sound.

2. We will not be discussing any of the technicalities of "what's under the heard" in terms of components, but rather, focusing on sound and functionality, and the experience. For technical information, please visit www.sequential.com."
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #286 on: November 29, 2020, 02:26:58 PM »
I have a Prophet 6 and had a Prologue 16. The Prologue 16 had an incredible months long tuning issue some time ago, and the actual Korg Japan management had executed appalling silence silent about the issue back then for many months, until they finally acknowledged it. Even then they did not commit to a fast solution, nor named a rough time frame for fixing. I sold my Prologue some days ago, for this and other reasons, and will definitely consider the new Prophet 5, now that the darkened sound issue is found and fixed.

I always wanted a Prophet 5 in good condition and really like the straightforward way of Dave's acknowledging a problem and taking full responsibility with a fast fix. I am also extremely satisfied with how useful the Prophet 6 has been for me. One thing I would love to hear before a final decision on any Prophet 5 buy though, are sound demos from fixed (or later) Prophet 5 units without the issue (audio files or Youtube sound demos).

The Prologue is definitely rock solid now (via firmware update which was simple), though it did do a number on their rep but it's a great synthesizer for a great price. I have a Prologue 16 and absolutely love it, it's so musical and beautifully built and very unique sounds are available that don't rely on modulation to dress up basic sound but the core tone and VCOs themselves are very textured (and the filter is kinda unique sounding too).

I also like that the Prologue 16, like the Prophet 5/10 REV 4 has 'full sized' knobs with a nice granular turning circle vs the Prophet 6, and 5 octaves of course (though the Prologue has metal pot caps and pot shafts which is super high quality and the sequentials I've owned were all plastic on those parts :/). I think the fact I could coax (non bandpass) OB-6 sounds from my Prologue 16 and like them just as much, and also coax P6's sounds from it but like them better than the P6 - then it also does japanese jupiter/juno/polysix/ms20 ish stuff too makes it a much nicer team-mate with my future Prophet 10 than a Prophet 6 (waaaaaaaay too much character overlap + downsides I didn't like in the P6's tone anyway) or even the OB-6 would.

I had a Prophet 6 for a good while but was never convinced by it, as much as some 'prophet aspects' of its operation appealed, it didn't feel or sound like the real deal unlike the new REV 4s. I also owned and loved the OB-6 but with the 4 octave thing, (my) personal underuse of the notch filter and using it for the same kinda sounds over and over and all of them having that same obie rasp, I sold them both without regret. The Prologue is very unique but far less restrained/pigeon holed than the P6/OB-6 was... and now I have that freedom of tone (and 16 voice poly with layering) I can look at a more basic but raw synth like Prophet 10 rev 4 with renewed interest.

Weirdly it's by having a Prologue 16 I can now see where a Prophet 10 could fit in with it, before.. the options being basically P6/ob-6 both felt underwhelming after the sparkle, depth and solid low end power of the Prologue 16 (which is a highly under-rated synth btw - def don't judge on videos/presets), FTR I've not yet heard a better BASS sound on a poly than the Prologue in mono mode with voice depth turned up to add an analog sub. It's way beefier and aggressive than the P6 or Ob-6 were (and they were pretty cool themselves).

I am eyeing up an Prophet 10 and plan to get one, but I'll be keeping the Prologue 16 for sure. Both different sounds (Jap vs US - 12db vs 24 db) but both high quality, 5 octave, high poly genuine VCO synths. I preferred the Prologue to the OB-6 and Prophet 6 I had previously too in many ways and think it'll make a good 'proxy jupiter 8 - and more' companion to the Prophet 10 in my modern classic legend combo of P5+JP8 stand ins! :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 03:02:45 PM by SynthHead »
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

jg666

« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2020, 11:48:42 PM »
I'd be very interested to hear an audio comparison between the Prophet-6 and the new Prophet-5/10, with each of them exerting their old school analog best.

I bet Starsky Carr is setting up his lighting as we speak :)

He's just got his Prophet 5 and here's his first video, but he does mention he'll be doing comparisons :)

https://youtu.be/fnfrW6avujU
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

ddp

« Reply #288 on: December 08, 2020, 10:23:50 PM »
"And let's not overlook the fact that the "Golden Age of Analog" coincided with the golden age of progressive rock, when remarkable musicians produced remarkable music on - by modern standards - unremarkable instruments.  Look at what Tony Banks achieved with an ARP Pro Soloist, an instrument that would be regarded as a silly little toy by a modern synthesist."

Lifelong Yes fan here, this is so true, and I have a Model D, what Yes was able to achieve before MIDI is amazing.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

LoboLives

« Reply #289 on: December 17, 2020, 01:54:42 PM »

ddp

« Reply #290 on: December 17, 2020, 09:47:12 PM »
My P10 just shipped from Sweetwater, all praise the gods!