The New Sequential Prophet-5 and Prophet-10

Shaw

Re: The New Sequential Prophet-5 and Prophet-10
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2020, 09:53:41 AM »
@moderators... shouldn't this thread be moved to the main page under "Prophet Family of Synthesizers" in stead of here under "Off Topic" ???

I mean if there ever was a synth that deserves to appear under "Prophet Family of Synthesizers", the Prophet 5 would be at the top of that list.  Right???
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2020, 09:55:43 AM »
@moderators... shouldn't this thread be moved to the main page under "Prophet Family of Synthesizers" in stead of here under "Off Topic" ???

I mean if there ever was a synth that deserves to appear under "Prophet Family of Synthesizers", the Prophet 5 would be at the top of that list.  Right???

I'll move it as soon as we have a dedicated Prophet-5/10 subforum.

jok3r

« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2020, 10:10:30 AM »
Size comparison:

Big knobs.... I’m a fan!
I have to stop reading this thread, because I don't need this beauty... ... ... ... but I can't. The knobs, the wood. It's like the Sirens from Greek mythology to me... it will wreck my ship... but I have to peek...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2020, 08:02:27 PM »
It's like the Sirens from Greek mythology to me... it will wreck my ship... but I have to peek...

+1
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Shaw

« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2020, 08:07:28 PM »
It's like the Sirens from Greek mythology to me... it will wreck my ship... but I have to peek...
https://youtu.be/_dl2L4v6ecM
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

jg666

« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2020, 01:05:24 AM »
I think someone mentioned waiting for Nick Batt to review this earlier on in this thread so I thought it worth mentioning that he's said a few times over the years that he's never got 'this prophet thing'. I don't think he reviewed the Prophet 6 although he did review the Rev2 and was quite complimentary about it.

Again in the live show this week he said that he wasn't one of the people who holds the Prophet 5 in high regard. I suppose even given that, he should be good enough to do a fair review :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2020, 01:09:40 AM »
I think someone mentioned waiting for Nick Batt to review this earlier on in this thread so I thought it worth mentioning that he's said a few times over the years that he's never got 'this prophet thing'. I don't think he reviewed the Prophet 6 although he did review the Rev2 and was quite complimentary about it.

Again in the live show this week he said that he wasn't one of the people who holds the Prophet 5 in high regard. I suppose even given that, he should be good enough to do a fair review :)

He also said he thinks the Jupiter 8 doesn't sound good.

jg666

« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2020, 01:21:24 AM »

Yes he did, I'd forgotten about that! One of the guests (Ty Unwin) also said similar about the Prophet 5 but he has said that he's hoping his opinion is wrong and is actually ordering a Prophet 10.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2020, 03:54:02 AM »
Yes he did, I'd forgotten about that! One of the guests (Ty Unwin) also said similar about the Prophet 5 but he has said that he's hoping his opinion is wrong and is actually ordering a Prophet 10.
He seems to order just about anything if it is expensive enough to make a worthwhile tax deduction. ;)
Prophet-6 № 01397 | Prophet-10 № 0174

« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2020, 04:23:40 AM »

I've met quite a few musicians who didn't gel with the Jupiter 8, or who found the Jupiter 6 more interesting. Some were big fans of it when they were young and couldn't afford it, but as soon as they actually played one decades later, they were slightly disappointed. This, of course, is not a rule, but it can happen as well, as with all formerly idealized objects. Apart from that, there have always been different preferences. That's why you had Sequential and Oberheim players in the past. The same happened after the release of the Prophet-6 and OB-6. You'll also find musicians and producers who always considered the Prophet-5 to sound particularly clean and neutral. Those typically tend to favor poly synths like the OB-X, OB-Xa, or the CS-80. I think Ty and Nick rather belong to that group. It may be, though, that the Vintage parameter can finally convince those guys, as it seems to introduce quite a lot of variance from voice to voice.

AlanC

« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2020, 11:50:56 AM »
Apart from that, there have always been different preferences. That's why you had Sequential and Oberheim players in the past. The same happened after the release of the Prophet-6 and OB-6.

To me, Oberheims have a very definite character. There's something very "Science Fiction" about the sound: you're in no doubt that it's coming from a synthesizer. And I like that.

Just before the OB-6 came out I got to borrow a friend's Prophet-6 for a week. A very nice synth, but it lacked the sort of defining character that I tend to find desirable. When the OB-6 was announced there was no mistaking the fact that it was a member of the Oberheim family and that gave it far more appeal to me. I just couldn't resist buying one, and I remain extremely happy with it.

You'll also find musicians and producers who always considered the Prophet-5 to sound particularly clean and neutral. Those typically tend to favor poly synths like the OB-X, OB-Xa, or the CS-80. I think Ty and Nick rather belong to that group. It may be, though, that the Vintage parameter can finally convince those guys, as it seems to introduce quite a lot of variance from voice to voice.

I've been listening to all the demos of the new Prophet-5 and I'd agree with the "clean and neutral" assessment. Everyone is going crazy about it and I'm feeling like I haven't been invited to the party :( because I'm just not feeling any connection to the way it sounds. And it's not through a lack of "vintage" attributes, it's just the basic character is not for me. The same sort of thing is true of modern Moogs (Sub series, One) in comparison to the old modulars.

Now, if Dave and Tom decided to reissue the OB-X and got it as close to the original as the Prophet-5 Rev 4 is to the previous versions...

« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2020, 12:55:16 PM »
Carson posted two audio examples over at Gearslutz that demonstrate the effect of the vintage parameter.

The first example demonstates a filter sweep with the vintage parameter set to 1, 2, 3, and then 4.

The second example demonstrates the vintage parameter set between 1-2, between 2-3, and between 3-4.

For the recordings a Prophet-10 was used.

« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2020, 12:58:23 PM »
And another fresh and pleasing demo from today:

https://youtu.be/sAGGM79f5as

LPF83

« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2020, 01:48:00 PM »
Carson posted two audio examples over at Gearslutz that demonstrate the effect of the vintage parameter.

The first example demonstates a filter sweep with the vintage parameter set to 1, 2, 3, and then 4.

The second example demonstrates the vintage parameter set between 1-2, between 2-3, and between 3-4.

For the recordings a Prophet-10 was used.

Thanks for this.  I was planning to wait a few months, because for me anticipation is part of the fun and I like to watch all the evolution of the demo videos unfold while I carefully discipline myself to order fewer and less frequent expensive food deliveries or other luxuries, in order to feel that I've earned the reward when the box actually arrives :)...

... but hearing this makes me want to just say F it and order my P5 now, because the vintage knob does exactly what I was hoping it would do.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2020, 02:39:36 PM »

In spite of the instruments he's reviewed, I don't think Nick is too enthusiastic about big polyphonic synthesizers.

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2020, 04:13:49 PM »
In spite of the instruments he's reviewed, I don't think Nick is too enthusiastic about big polyphonic synthesizers.

Makes sense. He has a proverbial h@rd on for Dreadbox products. It's the only brand I've ever heard him randomly bring up how good or unique he thinks their synths sound.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #157 on: October 14, 2020, 07:39:07 PM »
"No one thought I was going to do it because I said I wasn't going to do it."

More of the same, please.   :)

"We're really excited about the next [instrument]...and we're deep into it...."

That's always good news.

https://youtu.be/bzysljTb8NQ?t=19145
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 07:17:15 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #158 on: October 16, 2020, 03:22:28 AM »

That's always good news.

Actually, he said yesterday that they are working on two new products. Wonder if it is P12 and Tempest “successors”.

« Reply #159 on: October 16, 2020, 03:46:12 AM »

That's always good news.

Actually, he said yesterday that they are working on two new products. Wonder if it is P12 and Tempest “successors”.

For reference:

https://youtu.be/FGL3JQDJjYo