The New Sequential Prophet-5 and Prophet-10

LoboLives

Re: The New Sequential Prophet-5 and Prophet-10
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2020, 06:31:24 PM »
Ugh I’m really torn on this. I know there is no pressure to buy it but my OCD and just my overall mindset towards it is really conflicting. To be 100% honest if they did the two keyboard version of the P10 (with the poly sequencer built in) I would have put a pre order in for both the P5 and P10 regardless of price. I think it’s just my obsession with that John Carpenter/Alan Howarth setup clouding my judgement but I also own one of the last Mitchell BNC 35mm motion picture cameras in the world...it’s totally impractical but I have an emotional impulse when it comes to purchasing and sometimes that has backfired badly.

I highly doubt the module versions are going to add anything to the synths as they are....but really would it be that cumbersome if they had the poly sequencer be part of the module? But I guess the answer will likely be “just use an external sequencer...it has midi.”

My friend even suggested “Man, sell all your gear and get a Prophet 5 and that ARP 2600 reissue and there it is...that’s your setup...maybe that Isla S2400 drum machine added and you are good to go.” But then I’d be missing out on so many other forms of synthesis just to have the clout to say my setup IS a Prophet 5 and ARP 2600. No wavetables, no FM, no samples....and even still ...if I decide to just integrate it in my setup as a replacement for the P6....where does a raw Prophet 5 fit alongside a Prophet X in terms of functionality and purpose? I have friends who purchased the Moog Model D and they said it was a mistake.

I dunno, I’m just really torn on it. I really have to consider if I’m just buying this for the status of it rather than the practicality of it.

Shaw

« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2020, 06:52:49 PM »
Ugh I’m really torn on this. I know there is no pressure to buy it but my OCD and just my overall mindset towards it is really conflicting. To be 100% honest if they did the two keyboard version of the P10 (with the poly sequencer built in) I would have put a pre order in for both the P5 and P10 regardless of price. I think it’s just my obsession with that John Carpenter/Alan Howarth setup clouding my judgement but I also own one of the last Mitchell BNC 35mm motion picture cameras in the world...it’s totally impractical but I have an emotional impulse when it comes to purchasing and sometimes that has backfired badly.

I highly doubt the module versions are going to add anything to the synths as they are....but really would it be that cumbersome if they had the poly sequencer be part of the module? But I guess the answer will likely be “just use an external sequencer...it has midi.”

My friend even suggested “Man, sell all your gear and get a Prophet 5 and that ARP 2600 reissue and there it is...that’s your setup...maybe that Isla S2400 drum machine added and you are good to go.” But then I’d be missing out on so many other forms of synthesis just to have the clout to say my setup IS a Prophet 5 and ARP 2600. No wavetables, no FM, no samples....and even still ...if I decide to just integrate it in my setup as a replacement for the P6....where does a raw Prophet 5 fit alongside a Prophet X in terms of functionality and purpose? I have friends who purchased the Moog Model D and they said it was a mistake.

I dunno, I’m just really torn on it. I really have to consider if I’m just buying this for the status of it rather than the practicality of it.

Ha.... I’m having the opposite reaction... I don’t want to like it because of the mono output, but I love the sound.  This thing is pure tone... listening to the INHALT video now through my home theatre floor speakers.... just killer.

Someone was jokingly suggesting I get the keyboard and the module... Boom! Stereo!  ... I’m considering it.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Shaw

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2020, 06:56:06 PM »
This is not a limited edition

I am a bit worried that this is going to end up being a limited run like the Minimoog Model D or ARP 2600 reissue.
Someone from Sequential chimed in on GS and said that this isn’t a limited edition. I got the sense that they intend to make them as long as people are buying them.

@Pym ... The rumor is that there will also be a module/desktop version.  Can you confirm if this is true?

Thank you.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2020, 07:00:46 PM »
I'm not one for looking back at all; the P5 is just timeless.

Shaw

« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »
It’s like dangling crack in front of a junkie....!!!!

« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2020, 09:27:49 PM »
@Pym ... The rumor is that there will also be a module/desktop version.  Can you confirm if this is true?

That's what it shows—Desktop version available? Yes—for the PROPHET-5 & 10 Rev 4 on the Sequential Synth Comparison Chart v5.1 PDF linked on each product page.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

LoboLives

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2020, 12:46:08 AM »

That's what it shows—Desktop version available? Yes—for the PROPHET-5 & 10 Rev 4 on the Sequential Synth Comparison Chart v5.1 PDF linked on each product page.

I deeply deeply hope that it's just more than a desktop version.

Pym

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2020, 01:11:28 AM »
All signs point to yes

This is not a limited edition

I am a bit worried that this is going to end up being a limited run like the Minimoog Model D or ARP 2600 reissue.
Someone from Sequential chimed in on GS and said that this isn’t a limited edition. I got the sense that they intend to make them as long as people are buying them.

Thank you.
Sequential

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2020, 01:29:36 AM »
Someone was jokingly suggesting I get the keyboard and the module... Boom! Stereo!  ... I’m considering it.

Or you could simply multitrack it and pan the tracks to the left and the right, as they occasionally did it in the early 1980s.

« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2020, 05:13:46 AM »
Does anyone know if the 5 can be upgradable at a later date to the 10 ?

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2020, 05:18:30 AM »

The "clout" comment inspired me to respond.

I think something like this would be ( or should be ) more about love for what it is.

For me it has been more about responding to the love Dave clearly has for what he does. Its a work of art that will spur on more art hopefully for me.....
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 05:22:26 AM by protoculture »

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2020, 01:35:27 PM »
The P6 is so much more synth. Don’t really understand the design-choice for a mono output. Love the filter settings and improved ui-design though.
solidtrax - patches for effects and synthesizers
www - https://www.solidtrax.nl
demos - https://www.soundcloud.com/solidtrax

LoboLives

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2020, 02:41:58 PM »

The "clout" comment inspired me to respond.

I think something like this would be ( or should be ) more about love for what it is.

For me it has been more about responding to the love Dave clearly has for what he does. Its a work of art that will spur on more art hopefully for me.....

I know....I absolutely think it's fantastic that he managed to get the parts and everything duplicated....but part of me is still like....why can't you just take that engine and expand on it? Even something as simple as making the Prophet 10 bi timbral.

« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2020, 02:57:07 PM »
The P6 is so much more synth. Don’t really understand the design-choice for a mono output. Love the filter settings and improved ui-design though.

I spent more than a few early months using only one output of my P6, eschewing the internal FX, and running the synth into an ancient chorus pedal. All in the spirit of "trying to make the P6 sound like a P5." I gradually made my way back to the stereo outs and internal effects of the P6, as I learned to love the synth as very much its own entity. I'm delighted to see a mono out, no fx, no sequencer/arp etc. on the new P5. The Fatar keybed and MIDI/USB are the sort of "modenr" features I'd expect, but I love that Dave has basically just made a new, "best of all worlds" Prophet 5. The P5 has such weight and majesty to its sound, and always sits easy in a mix for me. It's pretty self-contained in the best way. 

I've truly fallen in love with the P6, and have said before that if I was to pick a single synth to use for everything, it'd be that one. I now own two P6s and have a rev 3 P5, but there's simply no way I can shake off the idea of "needing" a rev 4. The Prophet 5 has always been the ultimate synth to me.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2020, 04:58:31 PM »
I guess you're the man to ask, Ant.  I'd be interested to read your comments on the comparison between the sound of the Prophet-6 and the Prophet-5.  I don't care whether one can emulate the other.  That's not my interest.  I'm just curious as to how they compare one to the other.

Shaw

« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2020, 05:54:09 PM »
So... I’m thinking the Prophet 5, and then add a Prophet 5 module later so that I can have a stereo synth (or bi-timbral layers of I wanted)...

Anyone care to tell me why that might be a bad idea?

« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2020, 06:07:01 PM »
I guess you're the man to ask, Ant.  I'd be interested to read your comments on the comparison between the sound of the Prophet-6 and the Prophet-5.  I don't care whether one can emulate the other.  That's not my interest.  I'm just curious as to how they compare one to the other.

I'm not sure how exactly soon I'll have a new P5 to talk about, but I'll certainly be keen to tell all when I can. (I sold a 1964 Australian telegram signed by Ringo Starr to cover the cost of my second P6 and I'm looking around the room for what else I can part with for $$$!) Even though my partner here in California is a synth-geek (it's her P5 I have handy), she's not convinced we need a second one in the house! I, on the other hand...

LoboLives

« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2020, 06:24:45 PM »
It would be interesting to do a social experiment and do a recording with the Prophet 6 but advertise it as a demo of the new Prophet 5 and not tell anyone. Just to see if anyone can really detect that something is amiss. More importantly document the reactions when the curtain is pulled back.

Shaw

« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2020, 06:49:27 PM »
It would be interesting to do a social experiment and do a recording with the Prophet 6 but advertise it as a demo of the new Prophet 5 and not tell anyone. Just to see if anyone can really detect that something is amiss. More importantly document the reactions when the curtain is pulled back.
You just pulled the curtain back....

LPF83

« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2020, 06:55:07 PM »

There's always been an abundance of sleight of hand on the Internet already though, the real value found today is in authenticity.  What would be of value I think is sort of a quiz format, where a number of patches are done with both a P6 and a P5-Rev4, matching as closely as possible, and see if there is a statistically significant number of folks that can really guess which is which.  I think anything less would be more of a house-egging prank than anything, but someone will probably do it anyway... if not with a P6 then a softsynth, just to mess with people.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC