The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

The New Sequential Prophet-5 and Prophet-10

Shaw

Re: The New Sequential Prophet-5 and Prophet-10
« Reply #280 on: November 01, 2020, 08:35:28 AM »

Someone from Sequential stated that his Rev 3 (which the owner admitted to having serviced by a 3rd party) was noticeably brighter than the several Vintage Rev 3s they used when developing the Rev 4.

Well, I guess my Prophet 5 rev 3 that I had back in 2009 must have been "noticeably brighter" too!   ::)
That is very easily possible.  I think people are underestimating the degree of variance between individual examples of these vintage synths.  Especially once you through into the mix decades of maintenance (or the lack thereof) by 3rd parties having wildly varying levels of expertise in maintaining vintage synths.

... and I'm certainly not talking down any of these synths... if it sounds good to you, that is all that matters.  My point was simply that I just don't think any one Prophet 5 can be said to be the standard ...
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rockīn roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa

Shaw

« Reply #281 on: November 01, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »
This is the trap that a company will fall into if it persists in releasing re-issues: the product will be judged, not by a standard of quality, but by a standard of comparison.  There's a happy freedom in creating only newly designed instruments, and equally in buying them.  No nagging references to the past.

Well said.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rockīn roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa

« Reply #282 on: November 01, 2020, 04:12:33 PM »
This is the trap that a company will fall into if it persists in releasing re-issues: the product will be judged, not by a standard of quality, but by a standard of comparison.  There's a happy freedom in creating only newly designed instruments, and equally in buying them.  No nagging references to the past.

Well said.

This is why I hope they donít even entertain the idea of it. Itís pointless because no one will ever be happy with it. Itís a dangerous trap to fall into.
Prophet 6, Prophet X, Tempest Drum Computer, ISLA S2400 Drum Sampler, Fender American Stratocaster, Roger Linn Adrenalinn iii, ASUS Zenbook Pro Computer, Soundcraft MTK 22 Mixer, Mark Of The Unicorn Digital Performer 10 Software.

« Reply #283 on: November 01, 2020, 04:54:58 PM »

Well said.

This is why I hope they don’t even entertain the idea of it. It’s pointless because no one will ever be happy with it. It’s a dangerous trap to fall into.

I do believe this is the case.  The harder companies try, the more people get frustrated at the lack of a perfect match between the sound of the old and that of the new.  YouTube video comments are full of such complaints.

When the Prophet '08 first came out in 2007, there were endless complaints that it didn't sound enough like the Prophet 5.  It was presumed that such was the only standard by which the instrument should be judged.  I personally didn't care because I had never played a P5.  And now I'm thankful for it, for not carrying such a burden, because it demonstrably spoils one's enjoyment of excellent modern instruments.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 08:45:18 AM by Sacred Synthesis »
The Musical Synthesizer YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChLGwGiRVs7rlZXnOG9_mUw

The Musical Synthesizer Blog: https://themusicalsynthesizer.wordpress.co

« Reply #284 on: November 01, 2020, 06:02:30 PM »

Well said.

This is why I hope they donít even entertain the idea of it. Itís pointless because no one will ever be happy with it. Itís a dangerous trap to fall into.

I do believe this is the case.  The harder companies try, the more people get frustrated at the lack of a perfect match between the sound of the old and that of the new.  YouTube video comments are full of such complaints.

When the Prophet '08 first came out in 2007, there were endless complaints that it didn't sound enough like the Prophet 5.  It was presumed that such was the only standard by which the instrument must be judged.  I personally didn't care because I had never played a P5.  And now I'm thankful for it, for not carrying such a burden, because it demonstrably spoils one's enjoyment of excellent modern instruments.

Was just saying earlier in another thread I donít even think itís about the sound itís about the status. I fell into that for a while with guitars and amps but eventually after so many mishaps on stage and so many disasters on eBay I really couldnít care when something was made or if so and so played it...I just want it to sound good and be reliable.
Prophet 6, Prophet X, Tempest Drum Computer, ISLA S2400 Drum Sampler, Fender American Stratocaster, Roger Linn Adrenalinn iii, ASUS Zenbook Pro Computer, Soundcraft MTK 22 Mixer, Mark Of The Unicorn Digital Performer 10 Software.

ddp

« Reply #285 on: November 17, 2020, 03:55:55 PM »
What's the difference between the Prophet 5 reissue and the Prophet 6?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnWUHld91Ko

J3PO (unwrapped via www.matrixsynth.com)

"In this video, we take a deep dive into the key differences between the Sequential Prophet 5/Prophet 10 (Rev 4) Reissue and the Sequential Prophet 6. This video focuses on the sound and functionality of the two synthesizers; where they differ and where they overlap.

Chapters:

00:12 - Introduction
00:58 - Part 1: Prophet 6 "main" differences
04:03 - Part 2: Prophet 5/10 "main" differences
06:48 - Part 3: "direct" sound comparisons (similar patches)
27:17 - Part 4: patches that begin to reveal inherent differences
32:44 - Part 5: Prophet 6 "unique" patches
39:31 - Part 6: Prophet 5/10 patches, demonstrating raw "tone" & "timbre"
48:55 - Part 7: Conclusion and Final Thoughts

The two synthesizers were recorded directly into Pro Tools at 48khz with Universal Audio Apollo preamps. No external FX were used in the recording of the sounds unless where noted in the video. The two synths were leveled in terms of gain as carefully as possible to create the most unbiased listening environment.

Three things to note when viewing this video:

1. I use the terms "Prophet 5" and "Prophet 10" interchangeably, as the only difference between the two synths is that the Prophet 10 has five additional voices.

1. Though I contributed to some of the "factory" presets for the Sequential Prophet 5/10 (rev 4), we are not comparing "factory" presets in this video. I have crafted all the presets in this presentation to show you as carefully as possible how similar the synths can sound, and how vastly different they can sound.

2. We will not be discussing any of the technicalities of "what's under the heard" in terms of components, but rather, focusing on sound and functionality, and the experience. For technical information, please visit www.sequential.com."
Buchla, Polyend, MicroFreak, Minimoog Model D, Subsequent, Moog One, Prophet X, Tempest, formerly Prophet 6 and Rev2.