The New Sequential Prophet-5 and Prophet-10

A Thousand Eyes

The New Sequential Prophet-5 and Prophet-10
« on: October 01, 2020, 10:36:46 AM »
Just put my preorder in for the 10! Been waiting for something like this for ages.

P.S. I tried to stop spending time on forums, but I just can't quit you Sequential.

Sacred Synthesis

chysn

Re: The New Sequential Prophet-5 and Prophet-10
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 11:12:01 AM »
That was unexpected.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2020, 11:16:47 AM »
That was unexpected.

It was expectedly unexpected, if you know what I mean.  It's a recurring theme, this looking to the past...and I like it!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 11:18:37 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2020, 12:03:10 PM »
Hunh. Not what I was expecting from the messaging earlier this year, either. I guess the different kind of musician is a wealthier one?

That said, love that these exist.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »
Shame that the 10 is not coming in a dual manual.  In terms of announcements,  this is HUGE!!!

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 12:08:08 PM »
I must admit while I absolutely love this....I am disappointed the P10 isn’t bi timbral. I understand it’s modelled after the single keyboard version and not the dual manual version but still. That’s the one thing putting me off of the P10.

Also kind of shocked the lack of poly sequencer, lack of effects, lack of arpeggiator etc. But I guess that’s means it is for a “different kind of player.”

Really considering dumping my P6 for a P5 but also looking at this from a practical point of view. Am I looking at this with nostalgia and aesthetic than something I can actually integrate into my setup? It requires some thought.

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 12:08:44 PM »
Hunh. Not what I was expecting from the messaging earlier this year, either. I guess the different kind of musician is a wealthier one?

Or just a “player”. No effects, no sequencers, no arpeggiator etc.

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 12:11:18 PM »

Very true!

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 12:15:31 PM »
No stereo, sub OSC, or HPF either. It's really all about the raw sound. To me the P5 is the still the greatest sounding synth of all time & this sounds just as good from what I've heard.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:06:13 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 12:51:26 PM »
No Stereo!??!... Phew!!!!   That removes me from having to even think about it. 

I know, I know... the original... but man, a polyphonic synth with a mono out in 2020?  I'm not criticizing, but that seems odd.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LPF83

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 01:11:51 PM »

I think it's geared toward the nostalgic vintage P5 purist, a camp that I do fall into, at least partially... since the Prophet 6 was released, a lot of folks have expressed disappointment that it can't reproduce the P5 vintage sound due to the more aggressive envelopes, more accurate oscillators, etc.  I've always wanted to own a P5, but couldn't fathom paying 7 or 8 grand for one that may be a repair nightmare.

So buying one brand new, with aftertouch / velocity (not to mention the different modes) for $3.5k is a bucklist item for some of us that grew up on 70s and 80s synth music.

It's a bit ironic though, because much of the sound I'm going for these days is more of a "synthwave" sound... which by definition doesn't really try to faithfully reproduce vintage necessarily (depending on the artist), but strives to result in a modern version of older new wave era music.   So in the genre of modern synthwave, the Prophet-6 sound is probably more relevant.  The P6 is a modern legend and in terms of feature set (and depending on musical goals) is probably the right board for most folks.

But then there are the Gen-Xers like myself for which the thought of owning a true Prophet 5 is just too much to resist.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Shaw

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 01:45:21 PM »
... and I think most of you will find this humorous, and maybe informative.

I emailed my Sweetwater rep 2 words "How long?"

He responded with "10/16, 10/30 on the 10 voice"
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 03:07:49 PM »
The Prophet 10 feels like a missed opportunity to me. No one identifies the Prophet 10 with its single keyboard version. They wanted that dual manual version or at the very least a bi timbral version with poly sequencer. I appreciate Dave doing this but man....it was so close....even if it cost $10k I would put a pre order in for a synth like that so fast....

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 03:25:50 PM »
I don't care about arpeggiators, sequencers, or dual keybeds. Sure, it would be nice if it were bi-timbral, but that's not a deal breaker for me. Even the HPF on the P6 I barely used aside from filtering out some low end frequencies when necessary. I've had synths with endless options and I've always found them to be less productive for my workflow. In the end, quality always trumps quantity in my eyes.

When the P6 was released many complained it was no P5. A few folks retorted, if they remade the P5 people would still complain. Looks like they were right...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2020, 03:28:53 PM »
Oh, the stereo issue is a snap to solve.  It was the first question I considered.  Simply buy two Prophet 10s, stack them, MIDI the top to the bottom, and pan each instrument in opposite directions.  The bottom synth will be a stereo monster, and the top one will be mono to one channel or the other.  So simple!  :(

While we're awaiting new demos, this has always been my favorite P-5 video.  Such power and presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40RiwZJgbTo
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:36:39 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 03:42:58 PM »
The Prophet 10 feels like a missed opportunity to me. No one identifies the Prophet 10 with its single keyboard version. They wanted that dual manual version or at the very least a bi timbral version with poly sequencer. I appreciate Dave doing this but man....it was so close....even if it cost $10k I would put a pre order in for a synth like that so fast....

In my experience, the original P-10 was a dog.  It was a great idea but technology had not caught up to Dave Smith's brain.  SS is right about just buying two P-5's.  That's what most players did back in the day.

I will be one of those nostalgia people buying this synth once the bugs are worked out.  Mono- check, no onboard effects- check, off to heaven!
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

LoboLives

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 05:49:27 PM »

In my experience, the original P-10 was a dog.  It was a great idea but technology had not caught up to Dave Smith's brain.  SS is right about just buying two P-5's.  That's what most players did back in the day.

I will be one of those nostalgia people buying this synth once the bugs are worked out.  Mono- check, no onboard effects- check, off to heaven!

Except the technology has caught up at this point. Two Prophet 5s does not make a Prophet 10. Especially in its various voice modes.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2020, 06:00:17 PM »
Even better than paired keyboards for the stereo effect, Paul Dither has informed me that Sequential will issue module versions of these instruments.  Go ahead, try to imagine the magnificent sound of a Prophet 10 Keyboard MIDI-ed with a Prophet 10 Module.  I'm swooning at the thought.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 06:01:52 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »
Except the technology has caught up at this point. Two Prophet 5s does not make a Prophet 10. Especially in its various voice modes.

I said two Prophet 10s.