Problems with OB-6 and iConnectivityMIDI4+ USB

rpm

Problems with OB-6 and iConnectivityMIDI4+ USB
« on: September 29, 2020, 04:31:33 AM »
Hi,

I'm having problems using my OB-6 with an iConnectivity MIDI4+.  When connected to the MIDI4+ USB host port (via a powered USB hub) the connection is unstable and keeps cycling between showing DSI OB-6 (port 0), then no connection, then DSI OB-6 (port 1), then no connection, and then round again (this is looking at connected devices in Auracle X).

Several other devices on the hub have totally stable connections - e.g. Karp Odyssey, MIDI fighter twister. Have tried different ports and USB cables, having only the OB on the hub, etc. but no stable connection is ever achieved. The OB is fine when connected directly to the Mac, but for my set up I need it on the MIDI4+ hub.

Running 1.5.5 firmware on OB-6, latest firmware on MIDI4+ and Auracle X 1.8 on Mac OS Mojave. iConnectivity website says that OB-6 should be compatible with its USB host port.

Anyone had similar problems or can suggest solutions?

Thanks.

rpm

Re: Problems with OB-6 and iConnectivityMIDI4+ USB
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »
Posting in case helpful to others: after a lot of trying different things involving direct and hub connections to both Mac and MIDI4+ with some helpful advice from iConnectivity support (big thank you to them!), I tentatively have this sorted.

It seems the OB-6 is sensitive to different ports on the hub (whether the hub is connected to the Mac or to the MIDI4+), whether this is a power issue or something else I don't know. All the other devices are fine on any port I've tried them (including devices being powered by the hub), but the OB-6 is only happy on ports at one end of the hub (note: I had tried on other ports with nothing else connected to the hub and it still didn't work).

Connecting the OB direct to MIDI4+ and Mac was fine and on a different hub with lots of devices connected it was fine, but with that particular hub (an Aukey 7.0 port) it only seems to like a couple of sockets - but at least there is one that works!

Any technical reason why the OB is more sensitive/fussy than other devices? Is it a sign of a USB issue developing?

Pym

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 04:46:00 AM »
More likely something to do with the hub if it's fussy only on certain ports, we just use class compliant stuff on the USB driver side of things in the hardware

Posting in case helpful to others: after a lot of trying different things involving direct and hub connections to both Mac and MIDI4+ with some helpful advice from iConnectivity support (big thank you to them!), I tentatively have this sorted.

It seems the OB-6 is sensitive to different ports on the hub (whether the hub is connected to the Mac or to the MIDI4+), whether this is a power issue or something else I don't know. All the other devices are fine on any port I've tried them (including devices being powered by the hub), but the OB-6 is only happy on ports at one end of the hub (note: I had tried on other ports with nothing else connected to the hub and it still didn't work).

Connecting the OB direct to MIDI4+ and Mac was fine and on a different hub with lots of devices connected it was fine, but with that particular hub (an Aukey 7.0 port) it only seems to like a couple of sockets - but at least there is one that works!

Any technical reason why the OB is more sensitive/fussy than other devices? Is it a sign of a USB issue developing?
Sequential

rpm

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 03:11:26 PM »
OK thanks.