DSM Wish List

chysn

DSM Wish List
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:59:23 AM »
So, I know that DSI is famous for making what they want to make, but it still might be fun to talk about what module's we'd like to see from Dave Smith Modular.

There are things that you can pretty much only imagine coming from DSI, and the three current modules are really good examples of that. I think that all three of them help to bring the DSI sound to eurorack, and I'm hoping to pick up at least the Curtis Filter and the Overdrive by the end of the summer (whether I get both sort of depends on the price of the DSM03).

My number one thing would be a single Evolver-style digital oscillator. Actually, "Prophet VS-style" is probably a better description. A digital oscillator with the 96 VS-lifted Evolver waveforms, with the graininess and aliasing and everything. Waveform memory would be a big bonus, but eurorack makes that logistically-awkward. But such an oscillator would really stand out in the market.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

Re: DSM Wish List
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:31:22 AM »
I would vote for oscillators as well.  I'd be happy to see the Prophet 6's VCO in a module format, which would made a fine addition to the Pro 2.

dslsynth

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 10:56:43 AM »
Great topic! :-)

Preset/modulation module with MIDI In, USB port for USB/MIDI In/Out, at least four CV ins and at least sixteen CV outs inspired by say Pro 2 or an even more complex voice architecture. Reason? Digital control of analog electronics is at the core of DSI's knowhow. Plus it places a lot of modulation features in a single module and allows for better computer integration in an eurorack system including computer controlled generative methods. Also there may be several variants of said module such as a more compact version designed mostly for control via a computer/tablet and CV extension modules for more CV out ports.

As for a digital oscillator module do take a lot a Mutable Instruments Braids and Modal Electronics 002 oscillator module both of which can serve that kind of sound. I remember seeing Dave say in a video interview that he do not plan any oscillator modules. Perhaps there are stronger contenders out there? In any case there could be new digital oscillator designs in upcoming DSI products would happen in their modular range some day?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

chysn

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 07:35:19 AM »
allows for better computer integration in an eurorack system including computer controlled generative methods.

This is an interesting avenue. It seems to be relatively unexplored in eurorack, maybe because eurorack musicians may consider computer control antithetical to the philosophy of analog modular synthesis. But I think there is room to play in that field. It would be a fun application of DIY Arduino projects. With Arduino, I've mastered the MIDI Out, but have had trouble with MIDI In, and I suspect it's because I've got the wrong optoisolators. This gives me a good reason to try it again.

Also there may be several variants of said module such as a more compact version designed mostly for control via a computer/tablet and CV extension modules for more CV out ports.

Check out the Rossum Control Forge and Satellite. The Satellite can run Control Forge programs in a much smaller space. This is probably the closest thing I've seen to what you're talking about.

I remember seeing Dave say in a video interview that he do not plan any oscillator modules.

I saw this, too, and I think Dave is wrong.  ;D
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Steven Morris

• Steven Morris Music & Sound
    • Steven Morris Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 05:34:30 PM »
Very interested in DSM. I think these are the new 'affordable desktop modules'. In recent interviews, I've seen Dave mention the idea of creating effects, and I believe DSM may be the way some of those ideas will come to fruition.

At the top of my wish list was actually what I am hoping the Feedback module will be! As long as it tracks @ 1v/oct. over at least 4-5 octaves I will be a happy camper. At NAMM I was extremely happy to see the Intellijel Rainmaker, but it is quite large and takes up a lot of space. The DSM Feedback is much smaller, not nearly as multipurpose (which is a good thing in modular IMO), and will hopefully cost much less.

Other than that, I think it would be kind of neat to see some control modules. Maybe something that had the usual suspects-- a pitch wheel, mod wheel, couple of touch controllers, and foot/SW inputs.

Another module that I would be pleased to see would be a sequencer similar to something like the Tempest or Pro 2 offer. I'm not sure how economical something like that would be-- I probably couldn't afford it if they made it!

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 11:44:12 PM »
Please introduce a Prophet VS/PolyEvo wavetable oscillator for eurorack. Must have original waves and sonic characteristics. Do not 'clean it up'. Leave it gritty and wicked like the originals. Dave Smith please do this for mankind.

chysn

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 02:32:18 AM »
Please introduce a Prophet VS/PolyEvo wavetable oscillator for eurorack. Must have original waves and sonic characteristics. Do not 'clean it up'. Leave it gritty and wicked like the originals. Dave Smith please do this for mankind.

I like the appeal to humanitarianism. We'll definitely be a better species if there's a eurorack Prophet VS oscillator in the world!

Now that I've been buying modules for a little while (and spending lots of time on ModularGrid), I see an gap in the market for a small 4x8-step CV sequencer. You'd think these would be everywhere, but no. I'm thinking:

* 8 pots for steps 1-8, each with an indicator LED (a tiny round LED, not a big Mopho LED)
* 4 sequence select buttons (single press selects the sequence; holding and twisting a knob sets the length)
* CV In for clock
* CV In for reset
* CV Out for each sequence

It would add a lot of DSI flavor to a euro synth.

By the way, I think that the DSM modules are among the classiest-looking modules out there, with the Prophet-style knobs and the nice, clear labeling.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 05:00:42 AM »
Have you looked at the Z8000 Matrix Sequencer.

It's not really a 4x8 sequencer but it has 10 sequencers with different clocks and 16 values set by knobs. You have eight 4 step cv outs and two 16 step cv outs.

It's a neat module, I use it a lot with a clock div running the different sequencers and a "Flame Tame Machine" for scale quantising. Hours of noodling fun.

chysn

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 06:15:20 AM »
Have you looked at the Z8000 Matrix Sequencer.

It's not really a 4x8 sequencer but it has 10 sequencers with different clocks and 16 values set by knobs. You have eight 4 step cv outs and two 16 step cv outs.

It's a neat module, I use it a lot with a clock div running the different sequencers and a "Flame Tame Machine" for scale quantising. Hours of noodling fun.

Hey, thanks! That looks cool.

I'm also checking out the Qu-Bit Octone, which may be close to what I'm looking for.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 06:43:35 AM »
That looks neat, scale quantiser built in as well. Very handy.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »
The digital oscillators from the Evolver/Tempest would be great.

chysn

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 06:14:13 PM »
The digital oscillators from the Evolver/Tempest would be great.

There are some features that an Evolver-style oscillator could have that would make me consider it. It would need to feature custom waveforms, like the Evolver does, update-able via SD card or USB system exclusive. And it would need a CV In to modulate wave shape. That would be kind of fun. But to really push it over the top, it could be a hybrid dual oscillator, with a digital half and an analog half, mixed onboard to a single output. You could get two of them to simulate a single Evolver voice, and its stereo signal path.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »
* 8 pots for steps 1-8, each with an indicator LED (a tiny round LED, not a big Mopho LED)
* 4 sequence select buttons (single press selects the sequence; holding and twisting a knob sets the length)
* CV In for clock
* CV In for reset
* CV Out for each sequence

I was just looking back on this thread, and noticed this post. This request, at least, has meanwhile been almost exactly fulfilled by the Malekko Varigate 4+.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his