What are Tempest users thoughts on the ISLA S2400?

LoboLives

What are Tempest users thoughts on the ISLA S2400?
« on: September 25, 2020, 06:23:02 PM »
Just curious what all the Tempest users thoughts are on the new S2400 from ISLA Instruments. Obviously a totally different beast and more focused on sampling and analog filters but I think these two might go well together and compliment each other.

Re: What are Tempest users thoughts on the ISLA S2400?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 11:21:56 PM »
Users now want an all in one machine to rule them all..They want a DAW in a box..We’re in 2020 after all :P
Personally I think the S2400 can’t deliver that as it lacks an FX section.Also it doesn’t have that immediate instrument playability of the Tempest with ribbon control,beat wide FX manipulation plus a synth engine..S2400 will appeal to old school minded users that want that classic sound.I’ve said it many times here that the future is a machine that combines an MPC Live/X/Maschine+ style sampling and a Tempest/Prophet analog synth engine/playability with FX and 4 Inputs..
When that machine arrives i’ll be all over it 8)
We need innovative instruments with that old school fat analog sound is as simple as that..No more recreations and revisits..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 11:32:42 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

KoSv

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 01:57:26 AM »
..No more recreations and revisits..

Totally agree!
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 08:23:18 AM »
Yes 👆🏻

External sequencing with some audio input and effects. Plus some sanity around voice control/output is necessary for my next groove/percussion instrument beyond the Tempest.

The Tempest just doesn't have the connectivity to play well with anything for my flow. It's almost all Tempest or no Tempest for me. So things like the S2400 don't really appeal since I couldn't combine the two, and the S2400 would have the same problems with a different core sound and approach.

For that reason I just bought the MC-707 to see if it can replace my Tempest. The ability to VA synth and optionally hook up their sequence to a couple external analog synths might make up the difference. But I'm anticipating the overall sound won't match the Tempest, and I'll be left stuck with the Tempest forever 😭💚
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:24:48 AM by Simple Rabbit »

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 02:27:16 PM »
I must admit that I was slightly disappointed to hear the S2400 didn't have internal effects (Although there is a debate if that might be included in a firmware update) but I think it's certainly a nice option to compliment the Tempest.

Still....the SP-16 from Pioneer isn't perfect but it does seem to tick a lot of the boxes....I haven't heard too many examples of it as a straight drum machine though. 

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 10:36:00 PM »
A little older thread and a long while since I was here:) It's nice to see the gang still hanging out here on this forum. I preorder teh SP2400. I don't expect it to do anything more than ease some my sampling duties to compliment my setup. Still waiting for the Circklon for the brains of the operations. I don't want something to be the end all and be all. I plan to use external FX with the Tempest / SP2400 through either my Xone:DB4 or Virus inserts.  We shall see how good it works for me. I am pretty excited to get my studio up and running. It's been almost 4 years since I had a proper set up.*grin*
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 11:15:55 PM »
Glad to have you back man!
A little older thread and a long while since I was here:) It's nice to see the gang still hanging out here on this forum. I preorder teh SP2400. I don't expect it to do anything more than ease some my sampling duties to compliment my setup. Still waiting for the Circklon for the brains of the operations. I don't want something to be the end all and be all. I plan to use external FX with the Tempest / SP2400 through either my Xone:DB4 or Virus inserts.  We shall see how good it works for me. I am pretty excited to get my studio up and running. It's been almost 4 years since I had a proper set up.*grin*

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 11:23:23 PM »
Thanks brother!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 04:17:54 PM »
Just my 2 cents
Some of the comments in here are expected... some of them not so. People in the thread shout “no more recreations” probably are first in line for a p5? Regardless it is not at all a recreation of the sp1200.  It pays homage for sure. It takes some of the best parts of a 1200 (the fader workflow, the crunchy sound, the ability to use analog filters to round out a sound). But that’s kinda where that stuff ends. From live looping to long sample times to external midi sequencing etc s2400 is NOT a clone or remake.

It’s also NOT a DAW in a box like the force/MPC line. It’s back to feeling like a dedicated device.
There is a lot to love about that workflow but it’s not for everyone. Just like tempest is not for everyone.
I very much have a love hate relationship with my tempest. On the one hand I much prefer it’s workflow over my rytm mk2 , though I prefer the sound of the rytm...  I’m irked by the underspec’d processor and memory and the glitched internal sample bank. But I love the UI and open ended voices.
Never once did I think “man the tempest needs an fx processor built in.” That’s not what the tempest is.  I feel the same about the s2400 but with the daughter card slot ... I can very much see fx and more being a possibility .... but I’d still probably use external dedicated FX. Because , well that’s their job.
I have and use my akai force a ton with my synths. I don’t look at the s2400 as occupying the same space in my studio.

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 09:43:37 PM »
Just my 2 cents
Some of the comments in here are expected... some of them not so. People in the thread shout “no more recreations” probably are first in line for a p5? Regardless it is not at all a recreation of the sp1200.  It pays homage for sure. It takes some of the best parts of a 1200 (the fader workflow, the crunchy sound, the ability to use analog filters to round out a sound). But that’s kinda where that stuff ends. From live looping to long sample times to external midi sequencing etc s2400 is NOT a clone or remake.

It’s also NOT a DAW in a box like the force/MPC line. It’s back to feeling like a dedicated device.
There is a lot to love about that workflow but it’s not for everyone. Just like tempest is not for everyone.
I very much have a love hate relationship with my tempest. On the one hand I much prefer it’s workflow over my rytm mk2 , though I prefer the sound of the rytm...  I’m irked by the underspec’d processor and memory and the glitched internal sample bank. But I love the UI and open ended voices.
Never once did I think “man the tempest needs an fx processor built in.” That’s not what the tempest is.  I feel the same about the s2400 but with the daughter card slot ... I can very much see fx and more being a possibility .... but I’d still probably use external dedicated FX. Because , well that’s their job.
I have and use my akai force a ton with my synths. I don’t look at the s2400 as occupying the same space in my studio.

I think just some reverb, delay and distortion would be a nice addition to each of the S2400 tracks as an option. Anything like Phasers or more exotic effects then external effects are probably the best for those.

Also one thing I really hope the S2400 gets is an arpeggiator. I know that sounds stupid but on the Tempest being able to hold down a bunch of drum samples in a random arpeggiator mode it creates some fantastic quick fills and interesting patterns. I also do this on my PX but it's something I'd like to see implemented on the S2400.

Also is there a reverse function on the S2400 on the sounds like there is on the Tempest?