The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

What are Tempest users thoughts on the ISLA S2400?

What are Tempest users thoughts on the ISLA S2400?
« on: September 25, 2020, 06:23:02 PM »
Just curious what all the Tempest users thoughts are on the new S2400 from ISLA Instruments. Obviously a totally different beast and more focused on sampling and analog filters but I think these two might go well together and compliment each other.
Prophet 6, Prophet X, Tempest Drum Computer, ISLA S2400 Drum Sampler, Fender American Stratocaster, Roger Linn Adrenalinn iii, ASUS Zenbook Pro Computer, Soundcraft MTK 22 Mixer, Mark Of The Unicorn Digital Performer 10 Software.

Re: What are Tempest users thoughts on the ISLA S2400?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 11:21:56 PM »
Users now want an all in one machine to rule them all..They want a DAW in a box..Weíre in 2020 after all :P
Personally I think the S2400 canít deliver that as it lacks an FX section.Also it doesnít have that immediate instrument playability of the Tempest with ribbon control,beat wide FX manipulation plus a synth engine..S2400 will appeal to old school minded users that want that classic sound.Iíve said it many times here that the future is a machine that combines an MPC Live/X/Maschine+ style sampling and a Tempest/Prophet analog synth engine/playability with FX and 4 Inputs..
When that machine arrives iíll be all over it 8)
We need innovative instruments with that old school fat analog sound is as simple as that..No more recreations and revisits..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 11:32:42 PM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

KoSv

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 01:57:26 AM »
..No more recreations and revisits..

Totally agree!
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 08:23:18 AM »
Yes 👆🏻

External sequencing with some audio input and effects. Plus some sanity around voice control/output is necessary for my next groove/percussion instrument beyond the Tempest.

The Tempest just doesn't have the connectivity to play well with anything for my flow. It's almost all Tempest or no Tempest for me. So things like the S2400 don't really appeal since I couldn't combine the two, and the S2400 would have the same problems with a different core sound and approach.

For that reason I just bought the MC-707 to see if it can replace my Tempest. The ability to VA synth and optionally hook up their sequence to a couple external analog synths might make up the difference. But I'm anticipating the overall sound won't match the Tempest, and I'll be left stuck with the Tempest forever 😭💚
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 09:24:48 AM by Simple Rabbit »

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 02:27:16 PM »
I must admit that I was slightly disappointed to hear the S2400 didn't have internal effects (Although there is a debate if that might be included in a firmware update) but I think it's certainly a nice option to compliment the Tempest.

Still....the SP-16 from Pioneer isn't perfect but it does seem to tick a lot of the boxes....I haven't heard too many examples of it as a straight drum machine though. 
Prophet 6, Prophet X, Tempest Drum Computer, ISLA S2400 Drum Sampler, Fender American Stratocaster, Roger Linn Adrenalinn iii, ASUS Zenbook Pro Computer, Soundcraft MTK 22 Mixer, Mark Of The Unicorn Digital Performer 10 Software.