Problem Keys P8

Problem Keys P8
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:09:38 AM »
Just wondering whats involved if some keys need minor repair? requiring harder pressure to register..

Or the options for key replacement? anyone know cost or difficulty?

dslsynth

Re: Problem Keys P8
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 06:20:13 AM »
Just wondering whats involved if some keys need minor repair? requiring harder pressure to register..

Or the options for key replacement? anyone know cost or difficulty?

Easy one: Contact DSI support directly and they will happily help you out for a fee.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 09:49:43 AM »
Easy one: Contact DSI support directly and they will happily help you out for a fee.

Actually, the help is free  ;) Key responsivity issues can usually be resolved with a simple procedure you can do at home. Email us at our direct support channel, and we can get you sorted out: support@davesmithinstruments.com
SEQUENTIAL

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:07:44 AM »
I can vouch for this.  I had a dead note on my PEK, and Mark did an excellent job of guiding me through removing and fixing it, all by email.  I've also had to swap one circuit board, which went perfectly fine.  Having once owned synthesizers that spent much of their lives at repair shops, I can appreciate how many repair options we have with DSI.  Probably most issues can now be resolved at home.

dslsynth

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »
Actually, the help is free  ;) Key responsivity issues can usually be resolved with a simple procedure you can do at home.

Out of curiosity how much would a keybed repair be for an out of warranty instrument like a Prophet'08 keyboard?
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »
Out of curiosity how much would a keybed repair be for an out of warranty instrument like a Prophet'08 keyboard?

It would depend on the specifics of the issue, but our out of warranty repair fee is $25. Sometimes parts can be extra.
SEQUENTIAL

dslsynth

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 03:00:14 PM »
Sometimes parts can be extra.

Additional question: Imagine the power supply decides to be in Monday Mood (TM) and fries the circuit boards inside the instrument. Would that be extra?
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 03:18:22 PM »
Additional question: Imagine the power supply decides to be in Monday Mood (TM) and fries the circuit boards inside the instrument. Would that be extra?

Generally not but it's case by case, so it's not really possible for me to give a definitive response based on your hypothetical situation. Our flat fee covers the full extent of repairs in almost all cases.

If you're having trouble with your synth please contact us directly!
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »
That's a very generous repair policy! You must really trust your build quality.

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 11:49:59 PM »
Also impressed at the DSI repair policy.

Shot an email through, but to expand:

My issue is a couple keys needing 30-50% more pressure than the other keys. The range of the 'velocity' or whatever still seems there. you just need to apply more pressure.. but due to that, during playing sometimes the 'normal' touch might be too light, and those keys will not register..

wondering if that sounds like a key/spring issue, or something else? maybe something circuit or button based under the key (again I have no clue), just wondering what the fix may be?