Artuira Polybrute?

Re: Artuira Polybrute?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2020, 10:23:30 PM »
I was speaking to Marc Doty earlier about it. He said that it’s not actually bi timbral. It’s a weird configuration where the parameters of the synth actually change between the patches rather than having two separate engines. He said he never noticed any issues with polyphony. He said with the morphing and the effects you nevertheless notice any note stealing.

To be honest I think 12 to 16 voices on a synth like this would sound awful given the characteristics of the Brute style sound. It would just sound like distorted mud. I think why Sequential synths work well as poly synths is because the oscillators themselves have a bit of a thin sounding character to them but when played against each other it has a pleasing sound....similar to Orchestral brass or strings. The problem with having oscillators that sound massive with a single note is it starts to become too cacophonous. Like a bottleneck effect. I’d you think of brass sections...if you have a total of six French horns it produces a powerful sound but it’s still distinguishable...you can hear each note...now say you have 100 French horns or 200..the natural phasing starts to become overpowering and it starts to become indistinguishable. Too much of a good thing.

Interesting... thanks for the tip on bitimbral - just looked this up in the manual.   There is definitely a Layer/Stack mode, but it is unique in its implementation:

Pg 38:  Layer: the keyboard has one zone, with two morphing voices per note. If the Morph control is at zero, sound A is doubled. When it is at maximum, sounds A + B are doubled.

So, in one state, sounds like it acts as a sort of Poly-2 Unison mode, in the other state its a poor man's bi-timbral stack architecture.

The limitation would be that each of the two "layers" in the stack must share the same mod matrix routing arrangement.   I suppose on the A side you could have a bunch of the mod routings just set to 0 value, and same on the B side with non used modulations at 0, which would essentially allow different effective mod routings per layer, but definitely not as straightforward as just designing two different timbres from scratch...  I would expect from a sound design standpoint it will still be possible to pull off a great majority of bi-timbral stack type of sounds though.   (But with the very low, 3-Voice Stack limitation)

Regarding more voices:  I don't really think Sequential oscillators sound thin...  Also, as an owner of MatrixBrute I can say that its quite capable of pulling off extremely subtle, beautiful sounds - soft leads and paraphonic pad type of sounds (same is true of the Pro 3)... and the PolyBrute, with the same sort of architecture should be capable of creating a versatile range of sounds from aggressive / brutish sounds to subtle and smooth tones.   It may have "Brute" in its name, but the filters and overall sound is extremely versatile.   

I would imagine there would only be bonus to having 12 voices instead of six available... and it would just open up the capability for more cinematic type of sounds and other long release patches.     Will have to wait until November to tell for sure :)

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

jg666

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 12:08:14 PM »
The full review is now available on Sonicstate.....

https://youtu.be/_kvtvUw4bYo

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 02:11:27 PM »
The full review is now available on Sonicstate.....

https://youtu.be/_kvtvUw4bYo

Excellent. Nice to hear that there is some voice allocation for splits. So essentially you can have one or two voices dedicated to a sequenced bass line on the left hand while the remaining 4-5 voices can be used for poly chords or pads on the right hand side.

It'll be really interesting to see what Sequential do. Now we have advanced VCO poly synths, wavetable synths etc So what can Sequential really do that would stand out?

jok3r

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 02:24:14 PM »
If Sequential doesn't come out with something I would prefer over this by the time Thomann has it in stock, I will buy this thing immediately. I liked the sound in every video that I watched, especially the more musical examples, and it seems to do everything I need in a very easy way.

I was looking at the Prophet 6 for 5 years now, but this seems to be much more for about the same amount of money. If I could afford it, I would like to have both... but since I have to decide I think I will go with this one as soon as possible. I have not been so excited about a synth, since the Rev2 arrived.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Pym

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2020, 02:30:55 PM »
I had morph working in a monophonic context (which is in some ways a more difficult problem to solve) on the Pro3 OS I'm working on. So we have been aware of this stuff for a while =)
Sequential

LoboLives

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2020, 03:17:59 PM »
I had morph working in a monophonic context (which is in some ways a more difficult problem to solve) on the Pro3 OS I'm working on. So we have been aware of this stuff for a while =)

Pym very curious with companies like Expressive E making keybeds now for their Osmose synth and Medelli working on the HydraSynth's PolyTouch would Sequential ever consider switching keybed manufacturers for a synth or is there a contractual obligation to Fatar? I know the whole poly aftertouch/MPE keybeds delema a few years back was no one was making them but it seems companies now are so would this help the possibility of a modern Prophet T8 or something?

LoboLives

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
If Sequential doesn't come out with something I would prefer over this by the time Thomann has it in stock, I will buy this thing immediately. I liked the sound in every video that I watched, especially the more musical examples, and it seems to do everything I need in a very easy way.

I was looking at the Prophet 6 for 5 years now, but this seems to be much more for about the same amount of money. If I could afford it, I would like to have both... but since I have to decide I think I will go with this one as soon as possible. I have not been so excited about a synth, since the Rev2 arrived.

The only things I can think of would be

1-A successor of sorts to the MophoX4. Just a basic four voice poly synth with a small form factor. Almost like half of the REV2 engine. DCO based and under $1K. I think it would be an interesting move for Sequential. An economical poly synth made in the USA.

2-An expanded VCO based poly synth. The Prophet 6 to the next level...almost a successor to the Prophet 10 or Prophet T8. Even if it's a simply VCO based engine along the lines of the P6...if they partner with a different keyboard manufacturer to make it have Poly Aftertouch it would really stand out.

3-A poly synth based on the Pro 3's architecture. VCO's and Wavetables. Preferably with two Wavetable oscillators instead of just one. I can't see that happening right now.....but maybe next year.

As much as I would love it, I don't think it'll be a new drum machine or standalone sequencer. To be honest, I'd almost prefer it over a new poly synth.

Pym

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2020, 12:05:40 AM »
It's all about cost vs. performance. Fatar still has a good response for the cost, we haven't found any other company that really compares in terms of quality for the price but if we did we would certainly consider it

Pym very curious with companies like Expressive E making keybeds now for their Osmose synth and Medelli working on the HydraSynth's PolyTouch would Sequential ever consider switching keybed manufacturers for a synth or is there a contractual obligation to Fatar? I know the whole poly aftertouch/MPE keybeds delema a few years back was no one was making them but it seems companies now are so would this help the possibility of a modern Prophet T8 or something?
Sequential

LPF83

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 07:43:21 AM »

For those interested in the Polybrute, if the layer morphing is the primary feature that interests you, I'd recommend trying some virtual instruments that have morphing as a feature, to get a feel for how much you might use it in your music.  Depending on the type of music you like to create and your workflow, it's one of those things that might be very important to you, or it could be something you rarely use.  I have never had a hardware synth with this feature, but in software I've always found it to be one of those things I liked the idea of more than I found myself using it.

Then again if you love the sound of the Polybrute, that's another matter entirely.  It hasn't grabbed me yet, but I had the same reaction to the OB-6 in early videos as well (and later videos made me realized it was a must-own for me).  From a sheerly cosmetic perspective I don't care for that wood-laminate look of the morph pad.  Trying to make it match looks weird IMHO.

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 08:02:23 AM »
Tell me about it, the look of the Morph pad is ridiculous, even more so is the God awful additional leg stand you can purchase 🤢

Sequential please announce your next product already!!!!  We’re all hungry!
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

jg666

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2020, 09:56:12 AM »
My Montage and MODX do morphing (yes I know they're not analog !!) and up to now I just see that feature as a bit of fun and I've hardly used it. To be honest though, I do need to spend more time playing about with it to see what I can achieve with it :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2020, 11:27:00 AM »

I'd say watch their Facebook account.  That seems to be the place they first announce new instruments these days.

LPF83

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2020, 05:13:12 PM »
Tell me about it, the look of the Morph pad is ridiculous, even more so is the God awful additional leg stand you can purchase 🤢

I have an eager and empty slot waiting on my 4-tier Jaspers stand -- reserved parking -- just waiting to see what Dave's got for us!  (Although in reality, I will be equally thrilled with a new desktop module, due to the scarcity of said real estate in my small studio.)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 05:14:52 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

jg666

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2020, 06:16:15 AM »

I'd say watch their Facebook account.  That seems to be the place they first announce new instruments these days.

In that case I'm going to have to rely on someone seeing it on there and posting in this thread. I sometimes think I'm the only person in the World who doesn't do facebook and has no interest in doing so  ;D

jg666

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2020, 01:08:21 PM »
Mylarmelodies has a review on YouTube too, not sure if you’ve all seen it or not?
In my opinion, whist he might not be the best keyboard player out there, his skills at getting great sounds from synths has to be greatly admired. Hopefully I’m not insulting him about his keyboard skills :)

Anyway, I believe this is worth a watch with headphones on to listen to the great sounds this synth makes.

https://youtu.be/VUgKzYfIIIo

LoboLives

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2020, 03:20:49 PM »

In that case I'm going to have to rely on someone seeing it on there and posting in this thread. I sometimes think I'm the only person in the World who doesn't do facebook and has no interest in doing so  ;D

To be honest I don’t think anything is going to be announced this year from Sequential. I just have a feeling it’s been pushed back until next year.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2020, 04:31:19 PM »
I believe the announcement will be fairly soon.  The August release date was updated to September or October, so they're not that far behind.  That was to be expected, under the circumstances.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 04:48:39 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2020, 09:15:17 PM »
I believe the announcement will be fairly soon.  The August release date was updated to September or October, so they're not that far behind.  That was to be expected, under the circumstances.

For sure but I think the advisement was a bit premature and their original plan and release date wasn’t realistic when it came down to it. Not a huge deal but I think they might have put some unnecessary pressure on themselves with these hints. Would have been nice even if they just have a teaser by now.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2020, 09:44:11 PM »
Would have been nice even if they just had a teaser by now.

They don't do that any longer.  There used to be a bit of sport near announcement time, a little bit of fun to wind us up, but no longer.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:48:18 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

shiihs

• phasing in and out of reality
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2020, 10:13:24 PM »

You're not :) But we may still be few...
--
gear: prophet rev2 16 voice, kawai NV10, casio wk-7600, Roland Integra-7, supercollider, ardour

links:

https://www.youtube.com/stefaanhimpe
https://soundcloud.com/stefaanhimpe
https://technogems.blogspot.com
https://a-touch-of-music.blogspot.com/