Artuira Polybrute?

Re: Artuira Polybrute?
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2020, 07:14:45 AM »
Jok3r,

This is like the coolest looking synth since PEK.   I have not studied it much yet- but what I've heard it sounds pretty nice.    That glidy lead you are playing sounds like an arp running in background too.  So how's it make that happen- a split?   

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

jok3r

« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2020, 07:43:00 AM »
Jok3r,

This is like the coolest looking synth since PEK.   I have not studied it much yet- but what I've heard it sounds pretty nice.    That glidy lead you are playing sounds like an arp running in background too.  So how's it make that happen- a split?

Hi Soundquest,

you got something wrong at some point  ;D ;D ;D

That's not me in the video. It's just a video I found online.  ;D ;D ;D

I don't know exactly how he is doing it, but he wrote in the description that this is a 4-part recording. So I guess he has the arpeggio running on a different track.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

jok3r

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2020, 12:19:43 AM »
Personally I'd change my order to a P6 module if that's the quality of sound you're after. You've already got synths that practically do it all. This sounds to me like, well, a poly Brute.

Just my two cents.

I thought about this a lot... even before you posted it. But I like the Polybrute sound for what it is as well. I think it can do a lot that the P6 can do, but certainly not everything. But for my personal needs the Polybrute seems to give me more at the moment. If it turns out to be sound shitty in real I can still give it back within 30 days and buy a P6 module then. There is at least a chance that this could really happen ;-)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand my pre-order got postponed for another 5 weeks. The probability for canceling it and buying a P6 instead just increased a lot. Perhaps I really should finally buy a P6 and wait another year to decide if I still want to have a Polybrute by then.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2020, 11:22:50 AM »
Jok3r,

Hi Soundquest,

you got something wrong at some point  ;D ;D ;D

That's not me in the video. It's just a video I found online.  ;D ;D ;D

I don't know exactly how he is doing it, but he wrote in the description that this is a 4-part recording. So I guess he has the arpeggio running on a different track.

Oh Ok  got it  :)   
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

jok3r

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2020, 02:04:58 PM »
Sometimes priorities are changing unexpected. Since it was too cold to practice for church services on the pipe organ even wearing thermo underware, I canceled my pre-order and buyed a Viscount midi pedal (we discussed that in another thread some time ago). Now I can practice at home and that makes me as happy as a new synth ;-)

Now I can wait until all the synth I'm interested in are actually available and perhaps I have the money together by then again. But for now I think the midi pedal was the purchase that really helps me the most.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2020, 06:05:48 PM »
Beautiful!  Congratulations on that magnificent pedal instrument.  What will be your sound source?

I well remember practicing for years in freezing cold churches late at night during the winter months, all while wearing cut-off garden gloves and half the clothing I owned.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 06:17:19 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jok3r

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2020, 02:44:03 AM »
Beautiful!  Congratulations on that magnificent pedal instrument.  What will be your sound source?

I well remember practicing for years in freezing cold churches late at night during the winter months, all while wearing cut-off garden gloves and half the clothing I owned.

For my first tests and hours of play yesterday, I used my Kronos as sound source and plugged in an AKAI midi keyboard as second manual. Playing this setup is really fun... especially when using other sounds than pipe organs. I recognized that the Kronos doesn't have much pipe sounds at all. Most of them are sounding very unnatural and the few usable sounds are all tutti-registrations. Either I have to find some more good pipe organ samples to put on my Kronos, or I will have to find another sound source for this setup. I think my Kurzweil might have more detailed samples with single stops so I could map them on different layers an use the sliders as draw bars.

Or perhaps I will try Hauptwerk (hauptwerk.com) and use my laptop as a source. I think this could be the best sounding option. But I have no experience with that software. I only know it from Youtube Videos until now. Hauptwerk + 2x midi controller + bass pedal... this would also reduce the required space in my living room, compared to the Kronos 88 that I would put back in my office/studio room. There is a 14-day trial of Hauptwerk. I will try this first, since the prices then are pretty high in my opinion. A free solution seems to be GrandOrgue. Perhaps I should try that first...

I can report to you per PM after my testing is done, if you like.

The last years I didn't play in church very much, so in the winter month I simply didn't practice very much. But because of the covid things I play church services regularly now and I don't want to only play chorales that don't need much preparation. I always play classic organ pieces at the beginning and the end and that needs a lot of practice since I'm not a professional. And now after 30 minutes I'm frozen. So I needed a solution for practicing at home. For a little more money I could have purchased a second hand electric "pipe" organ, but I wanted to have the hole system as portable as possible. If there are ever gigs with my band again, I could use this pedal on stage, too. It's heavy, but not too heavy. I don't have specs in my head now, but carrying both around yesterday I would guess it is not heavier than my Kronos. So I went with the pedal and can now practice all day and night in the warmth of my house.

I went with the 27 straight one, since it is most similar to the pedals in the church where I am living. We have a very old organ from about 1850 with completely pneumatic control (ohhh the lag).... I guess the bigger radiating concave pedals were not invented by then ;-)

@all others... sorry for being so off topic ;-)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2020, 09:05:32 AM »
We have a very old organ from about 1850 with completely pneumatic control (ohhh the lag).... I guess the bigger radiating concave pedals were not invented by then ;-)

The lag!  Now there's a problem only a pipe organist knows about.  It requires just a little bit of mental derangement and a slight detachment to one's relationship with time to lead a dragging congregation in hymn singing while the sound that one is triggering on keyboards and a pedalboard is actually behind that triggering by half a second.  And if you're also singing and simultaneously following the service in a mirror, all the more interesting.

Okay, back on topic.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 09:08:02 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2021, 10:21:36 AM »
I wish these were around  so I could play with that morph control that allows blending two patches on the Polybrute.   I've heard that its an original concept on a hardware synth so I guess this is just a onboard version of what is done on some of the editors out there.  PO8 had the morph on the Soundtower software, but it was stepped, not continuous.  Nord Lead 4 has this on-board, but also stepped.   Deepmind 12 has it on their editor where you can blend up to 4 patches continuous.   I would imagine Arturia set off to  make like a vector synth thing, but with all parameters, not just waveshapes.  I'm just having a hard time understanding how this will translate to the ear soundwise versus doing audio fade from patch to patch.   The videos haven't shown a lot of that.   I've noticed almost no video makes use of the slide strip.   

jg666

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2021, 02:19:52 AM »
@creativespiral - I see you've created some patches for this synth. What's your opinion of it compared to the Rev2 for example?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2021, 09:24:00 AM »
@creativespiral - I see you've created some patches for this synth. What's your opinion of it compared to the Rev2 for example?

Sorry for the delay on response... just saw this. 

Rev2 - I find Rev2 to be easier/quicker to design sounds on... part of it might just be familiarity and time spent on Rev2 - but Polybrute does have a couple weird limitations with basic sound design operations (ie: easily setting osc octaves and fine tuning)  The true bi-timbral sound engine makes Rev2 a deeper synth... and 16 voices vs 6 makes a big difference with big cinematic pads, or layered sounds.    And I prefer the mod sequencer on Rev2 (even though it has a couple annoying bugs)   

Polybrute - I really like the dual serial/parallel routing for filters... nice to be able to have per voice HP and LP option.  The filters sound great.. prefer the 2-pole Steiner to Rev2's 2-pole filter sound.   The matrix-arp mode is awesome for quickly creating interesting arp patterns, and the mod matrix style is really great for deep modular style sound design... it can do some really deep Voice Modeling with all the matrix slots it has - and doesn't take away from any sound design real estate.   I thought I was gonna really like the Morphee/Touche, but after spending some time with it, I find that I prefer additional axis of mod control like the sliders on Prophet X / Pro 3... with latch button and led feedback... I find that to be a superior interface to have a couple of those side by side... you get finer control, and with latch option and led feedback, you can leave a modulation in a specific fine tuned setting, and then resume control from there.   

If I had to choose only one, I would keep my Rev2... but it would be really close... both are amazing/awesome poly synths.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

jg666

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2021, 11:05:04 AM »

Sorry for the delay on response... just saw this. 

Rev2 - I find Rev2 to be easier/quicker to design sounds on... part of it might just be familiarity and time spent on Rev2 - but Polybrute does have a couple weird limitations with basic sound design operations (ie: easily setting osc octaves and fine tuning)  The true bi-timbral sound engine makes Rev2 a deeper synth... and 16 voices vs 6 makes a big difference with big cinematic pads, or layered sounds.    And I prefer the mod sequencer on Rev2 (even though it has a couple annoying bugs)   

Polybrute - I really like the dual serial/parallel routing for filters... nice to be able to have per voice HP and LP option.  The filters sound great.. prefer the 2-pole Steiner to Rev2's 2-pole filter sound.   The matrix-arp mode is awesome for quickly creating interesting arp patterns, and the mod matrix style is really great for deep modular style sound design... it can do some really deep Voice Modeling with all the matrix slots it has - and doesn't take away from any sound design real estate.   I thought I was gonna really like the Morphee/Touche, but after spending some time with it, I find that I prefer additional axis of mod control like the sliders on Prophet X / Pro 3... with latch button and led feedback... I find that to be a superior interface to have a couple of those side by side... you get finer control, and with latch option and led feedback, you can leave a modulation in a specific fine tuned setting, and then resume control from there.   

If I had to choose only one, I would keep my Rev2... but it would be really close... both are amazing/awesome poly synths.   

Excellent reply, many thanks for taking the time to do this :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LPF83

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2023, 04:12:49 PM »
Anyone here have one of these?  If so I'm curious how it has held up and how you regard it's sound and overall usefulness?
Cosmetically the new Noir edition appeals to me more than the original, and the price is not the worst in the world.

I seem to recall lots of folks reporting issues -- I'm wondering if it is one of those synths that's "too option rich".  Too many possibilities results in too many test cases and thus getting it all working reliably becomes a pipe dream.

.. or have they gotten it all working through updates? 
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC