Prophet 12 Sticky MOD/PITCH Wheel

Prophet 12 Sticky MOD/PITCH Wheel
« on: September 09, 2020, 05:46:52 PM »
Ive owned my Prophet 12 for many years and loved it a great deal. In the last month or so the Mod Wheel and the Pitch Wheel have become sticky. It feels as though the plastic is melting for the lack of a better description. Ive noticed this happening to a few of my others synths. I won't mention the others synths since this is about the Prophet 12. I would understand (sorta) if this was happening to a  "budget" synth but not to a $3000 synth!?

Anyone else experiencing this? If so, what did you do to resolve the issue??

Re: Prophet 12 Sticky MOD/PITCH Wheel
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 09:36:11 AM »
I haven't had this happen with any synth, but I have seen this stickiness with camera bodies.  I think it was caused when I stored them a hot attic which seemed to be the common cause.  So maybe acids from touch combined w heat does this.  I believe the stickiness is when plasticizers used to keep the plastic pliable start to leach out or otherwise degrade.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 09:39:44 AM »
Yes, it's typically an issue caused by plasticizers. I had it on the wheels of my Sub 37.

AlanC

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 10:57:46 AM »
The sticky wheel blight hasn't happened to my Prophet 12 but, oddly, has happened to my OB-6 which is a couple of years newer.

If there is a way to resolve it other than asking Sequential support if they'd sell me a new set then I'd be very interested to hear how.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 08:57:26 AM »
I actually spray painted my camera body to make a protective layer,  but I'd say it lasted only a year before it oozed thru again.  By then the camera was very outdated anyway ;)
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1