Wavetable synth for creepy soundtrack stuff: P12, peak or hydrasynth?

So I’m not looking to emulate analog synths, make basslines or leads, I have several analogs for that.
I want a Wavetable synth for creepy textural soundtrack stuff. Looking at P12, peak or hydrasynth.
I know the P12 doesn’t technically have “wavetables” but it does have morphing between waveforms which I think could get creepy enough.

Has anyone owned more than one of these and can compare them?

Thanks!
OB6, PROPHET 6, REV2, PRO 3, AS-1, MOOG GRANDMOTHER, HYDRASYNTH, B2600, DIGITAKT, ANALOG RYTM, ASSORTED EURORACK

Re: Wavetable synth for creepy soundtrack stuff: P12, peak or hydrasynth?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 03:14:15 AM »
So I’m not looking to emulate analog synths, make basslines or leads, I have several analogs for that.
I want a Wavetable synth for creepy textural soundtrack stuff. Looking at P12, peak or hydrasynth.
I know the P12 doesn’t technically have “wavetables” but it does have morphing between waveforms which I think could get creepy enough.

Has anyone owned more than one of these and can compare them?

Thanks!

I have all three, and all three can transition from one wave to the other in wavetable operation. The P12 has a pretty limited wavetable palette, though, and if you specifically want a wavetable synth I'd recommend against it. OTOH if you want a deep synth with 10 different ways to create creepy, overdriven soundscapes, the P12 is magnificent.

Peak has a ton of built-in wavetables and you can add your own. Peak also has the analog signal chain post-oscillator, same as the P12, and it sounds fantastic. The sound engine and modulation options are very extensive -- I absolutely love the kinds of crazy inharmonic sounds I can get out of it, especially with a randomizer. Wavetables on the Peak have 5 wave components.

Hydrasynth is fully digital AND it sounds great. The dual filter & multiple filter models are extremely powerful, 5 LFOs, 5 EGs...it's deep and you can probably creep out until you can't creep no more with it. My favorite part of the HS isn't the sound engine, though, it's the poly AT keyboard and ribbon controller. The Wavetables have 8 wave components, although there's currently no way to upload your own, so that might be a limitation you don't want to deal with.

Personally, if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the Peak for the droolworthy basic sound and flexibility and use something like Zebra or Serum if you need digital wavetable capabilities. That's just a gut feeling, though -- I could imagine anyone else making a perfectly correct different choice.

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 06:48:52 AM »

Hi,

you could also look at Iridium/Quantum little granular creep there too.

Happy Day,

Martin

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 10:58:20 AM »
Just picked up a Hydrasynth.  I'd echo Sockmonkey's post above, with the exception that I'd pick the Hydrasynth if I were to only to own one wave table synth.  I have to say, day 2 into this unit and I'm really impressed with the quality all around.  Really sounds good. 

I always like to compare basic waves whenever I get a new synth.  In this case, the square between P12 and Hydra.  On the wave form the P12 has a slightly larger needle on the corners of the square lending to a slightly brighter/metallic sound.  Though interestingly the hyra (in red ink in the diagram) has a little more going on in the higher freq spectrum.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 03:18:03 AM »
You can also consider the Waldorf Blofeld for this kind of sounds :)