Osc 2 goes wonky at random, unexpected intervals.

Osc 2 goes wonky at random, unexpected intervals.
« on: September 07, 2020, 07:34:07 PM »
So put yourself in my shoes here.. you're working on a warm, lush track with a meaty Pro 3 bass line with a slowly modulated cutoff, and then as you pleasantly twist knobs and adjust the atmosphere, suddenly OSCILLATOR 2 GOES FULL BLAST AND STARTS SCREAMING IN YOUR EARS.

This is my life lately.  Not sure why, but Osc 2 attacks me at very random intervals.  It makes me jump out of my skin every time because it goes completely unchained and I never know when it will happen.

I try to tame the monster by adjusting everything I possibly can and nothing seems to work. The oscillator is no longer subject to any sort of attenuation by the mixer, filter(s), or envelopes -- Fortunately, the main volume still works, permitting me some sort of recourse -- but consequently, I'm forced to power cycle the unit and start over again in order to reset the signal path or whatever...

Sadly, these painful and potentially expensive outbursts are making me unable to use my synth... Not only are they basically a trainwreck to my workflow, but my hearing, speakers, and headphones are also at risk of being damaged,... and this is making me very sad... because the Pro 3 and have a wonderful relationship, otherwise.

I also have had this happen when the synth is just simply powered up and idle.  It's not as though it happens when it's being played or triggered. 

Help? Anyone?  I suspect I have a dud here, which is a total pain because of all of the logistical shipping nonsense that will ensue if I have to return it many states away (thanks, covid).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 08:12:34 PM by codecae »

Re: Osc 2 goes wonky at random, unexpected intervals.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 09:51:59 AM »
**** UPDATE ****

As it turns out, it's not just oscillator 2... BOTH VCOs are suddenly going berserk.  I can't tell if the wavetable oscillator is affected, but seems to be fine.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 09:56:33 AM by codecae »

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 12:50:02 PM »

That's sounds like a major problem.

I would definitely contact support: https://www.sequential.com/support/contact-support/

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 02:26:02 PM »
I noted some weird random stuff today as well.
While adjusting Lfo 3 on shape mod it jumped to something else buy it's self while adjusting. Like the knobs were worn out or something like that. Maybe not connecting properly.
Hope this is just a bug and not mechanical.
One of the only problems with synth like this with screens and menu diving. No screen, no problem.
Saying that I love this synth so much.

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »

That's sounds like a major problem.

I would definitely contact support: https://www.sequential.com/support/contact-support/

Tried called several times today and only got voicemail.  Opened a ticket instead and am awaiting a response.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 02:15:54 PM »
Bravo, Sequential!  Thank you for your excellent and prompt support! 

Turns out this was some sort of fringe issue with a known solution.  After a short thread with Carson from support, I was given a hardware level solution that I decided to take on and so far, all is well!

If anyone else is having this issue, there are ways you can intervene physically at the component level to address it, but I was also informed that it should be corrected in a software update coming very soon, as well.

Thanks again, Sequential for your help!  Based on this experience, you have a customer for life!