Buying a Sequential Analog Poly: Prophet 6 vs OB-6 vs Rev2

LPF83

Buying a Sequential Analog Poly: Prophet 6 vs OB-6 vs Rev2
« on: September 04, 2020, 07:11:03 PM »
In NO particular order:

Prophet Rev2

Value:  The value here is off the charts.  If you are only looking to spend $1,300-2000 for an analog poly, I feel its a no-brainer, get this before Korg Prologue or competitors.  The 5-octave key bed feel is perfect, the weight and after-touch response are second to none.

Versatility:  The range of sound possibilities is incredible.  There is a bit of menu involvement when it comes to tapping into all the modulation possibilities, but it is still very accessible and the user interface well-designed.. Nothing anyone could call menu diving.

Strengths:  Polyphony and tuning range really pays off in strings, pads, patches with long release times, complex evolving sounds, etc.  DCOs tend to retain their tuning better across multiple octaves and because they do not stray until told to, often tend to be easier to work into a mix.  Amazing modulation options!

Weakness:  Bass is good but not on a level with it's VCO siblings, and the same can be said for the Curtis filter.  Only one FX per layer should be at least two.

Subjective Comments:  Spending a little more for 16 voices is worth it.  You can add to the 8-voice version later, but it's more cost effective to go 16-voice early on.  Having dual-timbral layers with 8 voices each is a treat!

OB-6

Value:  It is the most expensive of the bunch, and I feel that is no coincidence since it is the result of a partnership between Sequential and Tom Oberheim, and that usually means an extra royalty or two must go to the partner.. and why not?  Tom's a legend!  The parnership between the two is magical.  I only point this out because the higher price tag does not make the synth "better" or more premium than its sibling the Prophet-6, it's just that licensing and what-not add a couple of hundred dollars to the price over the Prophet-6, when the parts that go into it probably cost a little less to manufacture (for example, the lighter feeling keys, the thinner wood panels, etc.).  But anyone who owns an OB-6 will tell you they are not bothered!  It has that Oberheim state-variable filter, and it sounds fantastic!  You already know if you want that Oberheim sound, and if you do the cost proposition of a new OB-6 versus vintage options a great value indeed.

Versatility:  The OB-6 is a versatile poly synth, just perhaps not as versatile as the other synths mentioned here.  The 12db state-variable filter results in a certain character, and that character shines through across much of the sound palatte.  This is a good thing!  But if it is your only poly, as a desert-island synth, it might not be the only synth you ever need.

Strengths:  Classic sound, the filter can get so lovingly growly and dirty sounding. Great low end, amazing bass sounds, pretty much anything you want from a 6-voice poly.  Certain synth sounds I just can't get anywhere else.  The same "hands-on" playability we find on the Prophet 6, which makes it so easy to find a great sound quickly, even starting from a basic patch.

Weakness:  Lots of character in specific areas makes it less versatile than the others; at times harder to work into a mix.  12db filter can make it sound less "dynamic" than the range and characteristics of 24db filters.  Modulation options very limited compared to Rev2, but equal to the mighty Prophet 6.  The overall richness of the sound can become a liability in certain situations.

Last but absolutely not least!....

The one and only Prophet 6

Value:  At $2,800 USD for the keyboard model I feel this is the sweet spot for a premium 6-voice analog poly, and for what you get, the price is right.  If this feels expensive, keep in mind that when the original Prophet 5 was introduced (1978), it cost around $4,000.  Adjusted for inflation, that would be about $16,000 USD today.  The Prophet 6 doesn't sound exactly like a Prophet 5, but different is not lesser...

Versatility:  More versatile than the sound of the OB-6's filter, but less versatile than the Rev2's modulation capabilities.  The Prophet 6 again hits a sweet spot that may classify it as the "best all around" of the three synths mentioned here.  The filter initially seems to have a bit less character than that of the OB-6, but when working with it musically it often feels like it can just "do more".  The end result of sound design with the Prophet-6 somehow feels greater than the sum of its parts (and subjectively, perhaps greater than the other two synths mentioned here in terms of overall sound design range).

Strengths:  I'm a stickler for good bass and the P6 is the best synth I've ever owned for that purpose.  I feel it destroys everything else, including Moogs.  OB-6 can hang with it, but P6 does it slightly better.  For other sounds, the filter which some describe as "thin" compared to the OB-6 actually becomes one of it's most formidable weapons... The preciseness of the filter allows it to create sounds which carve themselves out in a more defined way compared to the OB-6, and that pays dividends in a mix.

Weakness:  The list of weaknesses grows short for the Prophet 6.  Yes $2,800 is a lot of cash, but not compared to vintage synths of the same caliber, and not compared to OB-6.  You could say the keyboard needs another octave (as does the OB-6), but since it's a VCO synth the overall tuning range is not going to be like a DCO synth.  This is an odd comment, but I keep my studio low-light when making music, and sometimes the labels on the synth are hard to read, where they are clearly visible on the OB-6.  Like most, would love more LFOs.

This is somewhat nitpicky, but its a general weakness for those who own both P6 and OB-6 - Sometimes I wish the knobs and various functions were placed in the same location on both OB-6 and P6.  The Rev2 feels like a different beast entirely so it's not as much of an issue, but it often feels weird to go all the way to the left to reach the volume knob on one, then all the way to the right for volume on another.  Or maybe I reach to change the unison key mode and the buttons are in opposite locations. It would smoothen my workflow if general placement choices were similar between the two, but I have a feeling the design choices were made based on vintage synths, which I fully understand.

Overall... I regard all three synths as three separate instruments, each with their own pros and cons.  One is not better than the other.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 07:20:23 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

Re: Buying a Sequential Analog Poly: Prophet 6 vs OB-6 vs Rev2
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 04:04:53 PM »
In NO particular order:

Prophet Rev2

Value:  The value here is off the charts.  If you are only looking to spend $1,300-2000 for an analog poly, I feel its a no-brainer, get this before Korg Prologue or competitors.  The 5-octave key bed feel is perfect, the weight and after-touch response are second to none.

Versatility:  The range of sound possibilities is incredible.  There is a bit of menu involvement when it comes to tapping into all the modulation possibilities, but it is still very accessible and the user interface well-designed.. Nothing anyone could call menu diving.

Strengths:  Polyphony and tuning range really pays off in strings, pads, patches with long release times, complex evolving sounds, etc.  DCOs tend to retain their tuning better across multiple octaves and because they do not stray until told to, often tend to be easier to work into a mix.  Amazing modulation options!

Weakness:  Bass is good but not on a level with it's VCO siblings, and the same can be said for the Curtis filter.  Only one FX per layer should be at least two.

Subjective Comments:  Spending a little more for 16 voices is worth it.  You can add to the 8-voice version later, but it's more cost effective to go 16-voice early on.  Having dual-timbral layers with 8 voices each is a treat!

OB-6

Value:  It is the most expensive of the bunch, and I feel that is no coincidence since it is the result of a partnership between Sequential and Tom Oberheim, and that usually means an extra royalty or two must go to the partner.. and why not?  Tom's a legend!  The parnership between the two is magical.  I only point this out because the higher price tag does not make the synth "better" or more premium than its sibling the Prophet-6, it's just that licensing and what-not add a couple of hundred dollars to the price over the Prophet-6, when the parts that go into it probably cost a little less to manufacture (for example, the lighter feeling keys, the thinner wood panels, etc.).  But anyone who owns an OB-6 will tell you they are not bothered!  It has that Oberheim state-variable filter, and it sounds fantastic!  You already know if you want that Oberheim sound, and if you do the cost proposition of a new OB-6 versus vintage options a great value indeed.

Versatility:  The OB-6 is a versatile poly synth, just perhaps not as versatile as the other synths mentioned here.  The 12db state-variable filter results in a certain character, and that character shines through across much of the sound palatte.  This is a good thing!  But if it is your only poly, as a desert-island synth, it might not be the only synth you ever need.

Strengths:  Classic sound, the filter can get so lovingly growly and dirty sounding. Great low end, amazing bass sounds, pretty much anything you want from a 6-voice poly.  Certain synth sounds I just can't get anywhere else.  The same "hands-on" playability we find on the Prophet 6, which makes it so easy to find a great sound quickly, even starting from a basic patch.

Weakness:  Lots of character in specific areas makes it less versatile than the others; at times harder to work into a mix.  12db filter can make it sound less "dynamic" than the range and characteristics of 24db filters.  Modulation options very limited compared to Rev2, but equal to the mighty Prophet 6.  The overall richness of the sound can become a liability in certain situations.

Value:  At $2,800 USD for the keyboard model I feel this is the sweet spot for a premium 6-voice analog poly, and for what you get, the price is right.  If this feels expensive, keep in mind that when the original Prophet 5 was introduced (1978), it cost around $4,000.  Adjusted for inflation, that would be about $16,000 USD today.  The Prophet 6 doesn't sound exactly like a Prophet 5, but different is not lesser...

Versatility:  More versatile than the sound of the OB-6's filter, but less versatile than the Rev2's modulation capabilities.  The Prophet 6 again hits a sweet spot that may classify it as the "best all around" of the three synths mentioned here.  The filter initially seems to have a bit less character than that of the OB-6, but when working with it musically it often feels like it can just "do more".  The end result of sound design with the Prophet-6 somehow feels greater than the sum of its parts (and subjectively, perhaps greater than the other two synths mentioned here in terms of overall sound design range).

Strengths:  I'm a stickler for good bass and the P6 is the best synth I've ever owned for that purpose.  I feel it destroys everything else, including Moogs.  OB-6 can hang with it, but P6 does it slightly better.  For other sounds, the filter which some describe as "thin" compared to the OB-6 actually becomes one of it's most formidable weapons... The preciseness of the filter allows it to create sounds which carve themselves out in a more defined way compared to the OB-6, and that pays dividends in a mix.

Weakness:  The list of weaknesses grows short for the Prophet 6.  Yes $2,800 is a lot of cash, but not compared to vintage synths of the same caliber, and not compared to OB-6.  You could say the keyboard needs another octave (as does the OB-6), but since it's a VCO synth the overall tuning range is not going to be like a DCO synth.  This is an odd comment, but I keep my studio low-light when making music, and sometimes the labels on the synth are hard to read, where they are clearly visible on the OB-6.  Like most, would love more LFOs.

This is somewhat nitpicky, but its a general weakness for those who own both P6 and OB-6 - Sometimes I wish the knobs and various functions were placed in the same location on both OB-6 and P6.  The Rev2 feels like a different beast entirely so it's not as much of an issue, but it often feels weird to go all the way to the left to reach the volume knob on one, then all the way to the right for volume on another.  Or maybe I reach to change the unison key mode and the buttons are in opposite locations. It would smoothen my workflow if general placement choices were similar between the two, but I have a feeling the design choices were made based on vintage synths, which I fully understand.

Overall... I regard all three synths as three separate instruments, each with their own pros and cons.  One is not better than the other.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 02:42:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the three machines.

I have a rev2 and I'm considering buying a Prophet 6 or a OB6. Could you elaborate more on the Bass department? You say the Prophet 6 does better than the Ob6, but I think I've watched a comparison video these days where the OB6 was kicking the P6 when having its sub oscilator layered under the Osc.

So far I'm leaning towards getting the OB6 desktop version. :D

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 04:19:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the three machines.

I have a rev2 and I'm considering buying a Prophet 6 or a OB6. Could you elaborate more on the Bass department? You say the Prophet 6 does better than the Ob6, but I think I've watched a comparison video these days where the OB6 was kicking the P6 when having its sub oscilator layered under the Osc.

So far I'm leaning towards getting the OB6 desktop version. :D

Don't get me wrong, I think you could get an OB-6 and be very happy with the bass -- in terms of overall low-end presence you would not be disappointed.

Where the P6 shines I think is in the range of sounds (bass or otherwise) it can produce.  To me there is more to a bass sound than just low-end presence, and it depends greatly on what type of music you make most often.  Sometimes the "punch" of the bass sound is more important than anything else -- a bass sound that gets in and out of its lane with just the right timing.  I believe this is where a 24db filter becomes priceless... because it facilitates more precision over the sweet spot.  Some will say a 12db slope is better for bass, but this illustrates my point:  one size doesn't fit all and a "good" bass is subjective; it all comes down to your definition of good. 

I think YouTube demos are a good way to get an overall idea of the tone of a synth, but I don't think I've ever seen a video that properly captured the versatility of the P6 bass. 

The one type of bass sound I think the OB6 does better than the P6 are growly, slow-decay, sweeping "John Carpenter" sounding basses... these convey well on YouTube vids, and when you hear the OB6 make this sound, it instantly identifies its own unique character.  This is both a good and bad thing, because my other synths don't sound quite the same, but then again how many tracks is one likely to want the same exact sound on?  This is where versatility becomes important. 

The P10, which I did not own at the time I started this thread, is also a bass monster -- one I think is probably capable of more growly-vintage stuff than the P6 is, I just don't use it for that as often because I prefer to have the power of the P10's overall polyphony, poly unison etc. reserved for pads and similar.

If you wanted to get more feedback on which synth is better for your needs, you might try asking over on the Pro3 forum which filter type they use most for the kinds of bass you are looking for, since the Pro3 can switch between 2 and 4 pole, OB vs Prophet style filters.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 05:29:50 AM »
Thanks for the answer. I asked about the bass more for curiosity since I had watched that side by side video on YT, but I would use this new synth for leads pads and arps duties. I have a Minitaur which I use when I need that solid lowend foundation.

I'm already happy with the Rev2 and having a new synth with VCOs and the new awesome vintage knob would make me even happier, so I could track the two at the same time.

So far I'm using a touch of the Rev's Osc Slop on everything and some light modulation on the pitch to create that vintage warbly tone.

I guess I'll have to watch more videos of the two until I find someone doing the kind of stuff I would do :)

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 03:54:10 PM »
Thanks for the answer. I asked about the bass more for curiosity since I had watched that side by side video on YT, but I would use this new synth for leads pads and arps duties. I have a Minitaur which I use when I need that solid lowend foundation.

I'm already happy with the Rev2 and having a new synth with VCOs and the new awesome vintage knob would make me even happier, so I could track the two at the same time.

So far I'm using a touch of the Rev's Osc Slop on everything and some light modulation on the pitch to create that vintage warbly tone.

I guess I'll have to watch more videos of the two until I find someone doing the kind of stuff I would do :)

For leads and arps both P6 and OB6 are great... hard to say which would be better there and also harder to describe the differences, but they do have different personalities..   for leads I guess I have to give a slight nod to the P6 again because of the dedicated analog distortion knob.  The OB-6 has "hidden" distortion by holding the effects button and mix, but that's not as easily tweakable as just grabbing the distortion knob on the P6.  The P6 is very good at making guitar-like lead sounds that slice through the mix.  Maybe the OB-6 is capable of it too but for whatever reason I find myself not ending up there on the OB6.  I think the OB is good at making OB sounds that only OB can make :)

But yeah I was going to say if for bass you're just looking for wall-shaking low end, Moogs can do that very inexpensively so I'm guessing you're well covered by the Minitaur..   My SlimPhatty probably does that better than the P6 or OB6, its just that to me an abundance of low frequencies does not necessarily make a good bass sound.  The SlimPhatty can make amazing bass sounds, it's just not as fun to do it with as my Prophets are.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 03:57:33 PM by LPF83 »

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 02:36:42 AM »
Ok after a few more hours of videos I changed my perspective and now I really want to grab a P6  ;D

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 02:10:30 AM »
A quick follow up: I've just ordered a P6 desktop  8)

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 07:21:20 AM »
Hows the Prophet. I have the Rev 2, System 8 and Virus Ti2 and was considering spoiling myself even more with the P6 or OB6
A quick follow up: I've just ordered a P6 desktop  8)

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 07:23:41 AM »
In NO particular order:

Prophet Rev2

OB-6

What a wonderful read and thanks for being fair about the Rev 2. I have a 16 voice desktop. It is a beautiful instrument and despite criticism of the filter, I have plenty of goosebump moments.

LPF83

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 07:41:28 AM »
What a wonderful read and thanks for being fair about the Rev 2. I have a 16 voice desktop. It is a beautiful instrument and despite criticism of the filter, I have plenty of goosebump moments.

Since I wrote that I added a Prophet 10 to the lineup, and while I think it's probably my favorite overall instrument, it does not replace any of the other synths I mentioned, including the Rev2.  I was listening to the original Prophet 5 patches on both the Prophet 6 and Prophet 10 last night which are included in factory presets on each.  Some of them sound really close, but others sound so different between the two synths that it really highlights how every one of Sequential synths really does have its own sound.  Sometimes its just about picking the best tool for the job at hand.   The Rev2 in particular is very versatile, thus is a tool that can handle a wide range of jobs.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 01:46:03 PM »
Ive an Access Virus Ti2 and System 8 so I've a few flavours to call upon.
The Rev 2 has grown on me. I see the Virus as my creamy Prophet 6 and the System 8 as my OB6 Vintage synth.
Having said that, the OB6 is still on my bucket list.
One of my tracks
https://youtu.be/t-ME5XJxniQ
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 01:48:44 PM by SynthGoo »