Pro 3, firmware OS.. requests.. improvements.. incoming :-)

Elric

• Peak Oil
Re: Pro 3, firmware OS.. requests.. improvements.. incoming :-)
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2022, 11:04:42 PM »

7. Envelope ADR Contour Shaping
Maybe a long shot: but Envelope ADR contour adjustments would be great for Pro 3 (and all Seq instruments... if you can develop the IP for it and reuse for envelopes on all instruments)   Being able to adjust from concave -> linear -> convex for the Attack, Decay and Release makes the envelopes so much more versatile.   You can get super snappy sounds when you want em for bass or leads, or long smooth transitions for pads and other sounds.

Not sure if I missed this or forgot I saw it but, I put this on a list too, and also came up with a way to do it for Decay. Should work for Attack too.
(If you find a better way let me know. This is the shortest version I could think of without using up an Osc or an Aux Env.)

Something like this... 

LFO 3 > -80 > Env Filter Dec
Env LPF > -12 > LFO 3 Freq
-- with LFO 3 on Saw, Freq 20, Wave Reset On  --  Filter Env  A:0  D:76  S:0

Then...
Solved Longer Decay / more than 127 Decay value:
DC > -# > Env Filter Dec

Dude!  I found the short version!  Just multiply it (by itself!) Even by just a bit!
(Curved Decay!!)  -  Gotta love this thing!

Env LPF   >   (+/- 1 to 16+)   >   Env Filter Dec

Edit: In fact, this is a proof for the need of higher resolution! I need data points in between the ones we have!
And DC (should be called "constant" or DC/constant), should also have both higher resolution and a higher top value. - Sometimes I use 2 DC entries to double the DC value. That must take extra CPU cycles.  I should be able to use just one entry for 256, or 512 (or more) offset.

So, it (DC) should be twice as resolute and go twice as high (or more, for both).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 12:09:48 AM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2022, 03:37:23 PM »
Recursive modulation gets really rough results... you can tame envelopes a bit more if you dedicate an aux envelope and fine tune the timings. But due to the multiple moving parts its a major pain to get good results.. and there are some serious limitations to what you can accomplish.   

I wrote up an article a while back with my findings on Recursive Modulation on Pro 3:
https://www.presetpatch.com/article/Recursive-Envelope-Modulation-on-Synthesizers

Having Envelope ADR contour shaping (like on Deepmind or Moog One) makes it infinitely easier, and you can achieve a much wider range of envelope performance... any thing from super snappy percussive curves to elongated linear swells or fades.  You can mimic the env performance of a variety of other synths from the past 50 years, and create totally unique sounds as well.   Envelopes are really the heart of sound design, so it's a super nice option to have. 

I don't really expect to see it on Pro 3, but would definitely like to see this as an option on future Seq instruments.  If the envelopes are in the digital realm, its probably a code development / IP investment that can be reused on many instruments.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2022, 07:40:01 AM »
Is there a reason Oscillator pan can't be added to the Osc Misc section? Since the Pro 3's output is stereo, it would be nice to have this option...even pan spread.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2022, 01:42:35 PM »

More Wishes:  (or questions)

====  Sequencer:

-  Can we get a mode with 2x32 step sequences?  Instead of just 4x16 or 1x64...  Seems reasonable.

-  Can we get an sequence arrangement page?  So I don't have to keep trying to hit the next button at the right time to make a "song" out of my parts?  (Like this...)

A  |  B  |  A  |  B  |  C  |  A  |  B  |  D  |   (Repeat on/off?)
  4  |  2  |  8   |  2  |  8  |  4  |  2   |  4  |

-  Could we have multiple destinations for a Sequencer track?

====  Synth:

-  Could the "State" dial be a Band Pass "Width" control, for the State-Variable BP mode?

-  Could a Mod value be a multiplier?..  x0.5, x1.1, x1.2  ...   instead of just addition?
(I can't remember where I wanted to use that.)

-  Q:  Why can I modify the Compare file?  That seems wrong.  That's messed me up a few times.

-  Q:  Does anybody else get lots of clicking when LFO-modding the Panning parameter?

-  Envelope Delay as Mod destination! To offset notes a bit, for "feel". (Mentioned in another post)

-  I'd like to have a Pressure curve with more "mid-range". It seems like it almost "switches" to full value. I really want a "slower" curve somehow.

-  Envelope Release can make a difference even when it's flat (if decay has not yet finished) but you can't see it in the graph. Can there be a dot/gap before the Release line?  (I asked earlier for Delay to be included in the graph display. And for the Envelope graph to flip upside-down when you set it negative.)

Well, that's it for now.
Loading the Add-On Wavetables and Programs just made the Pro3 about 25% cooler!
(And, apparently 25% more expensive!  $1999 now!)

- E
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2022, 08:16:14 AM »
+1 for glide time as a mod destination

« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2022, 06:42:25 AM »
Is there a reason Oscillator pan can't be added to the Osc Misc section? Since the Pro 3's output is stereo, it would be nice to have this option...even pan spread.

The oscillators need to be mixed together before being fed through one filter, so there is no way to pan them individually. If the three filters would have been setup so that they could have been used in parallel, that would have made it possible. But that does not seem to be the case.

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2022, 07:04:12 AM »

The oscillators need to be mixed together before being fed through one filter, so there is no way to pan them individually. If the three filters would have been setup so that they could have been used in parallel, that would have made it possible. But that does not seem to be the case.

I suppose the work around is to have the sequencer pan the signal on a per step basis.

« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2022, 08:35:50 AM »
Current tempo rather than showing EXT or--- would be nice, unless im missing it in the menu somewhere?!?

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #128 on: March 28, 2022, 02:09:51 AM »
More requests?..

The VCA / Amp menu  -   "Tab menu" should maybe be ...   
[(pick "Amp" or "VCA" here  - Amp is probably more intuitive for normies, we all know what VCA means )]

|  Amp Out  |  Amp FX  |  Amp ADSR  |  Amp Env Amt  | 

or

|  VCA Out  |  VCA FX  |  VCA ADSR  |  VCA Env Amt  | 

(The important part here was the idea of separating the "Amp FX" from the "output Effects". They are different.)

====

We need a Mod that is +/-  #  (value)
So it goes above and below (startPoint).   These all go either above OR below zero?

====

We need Random2, and Random3 (and 4 and 5?).
When I select Random, for multiple destinations, they are all the same!

====

[Weird tip:
    Osc#  >  +/-#  >  Panning
    =  FM in Phased-stereo!?  ]

Adding:

====

All values that could be higher resolution, should be.  (Whether x2, adding 0.5 1.5.... etc ,  or 8 ir 10 times higher, adding0.1, 0.2, 0.3... etc

All values that could go x2 or x4 times higher, should be able to go there.

====

Done for now.
Cheers,
- E
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 02:25:12 AM by Elric »

jmg8

« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2022, 05:39:49 AM »
My number 1 request is...
Girth, Air, Hack, Decimate and Drive from Pro2 should be added to the FX in Pro3.
I know in Pro2 they were pre filter, so in Pro3 they would work differently. But I would still find them very useful.
Girth would fatten up bass sounds nicely. Digital bit and rate reduction can sound really great on certain sounds, especially when modulated. Plus the low and high shelf EQ would help to further shape the character of the analog distortion.

They are digital so it is possible to add them (I assume), so PLEASE Sequential! 🙏🏼

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2022, 11:29:51 PM »

-  Can we get an sequence arrangement page?  So I don't have to keep trying to hit the next button at the right time to make a "song" out of my parts?  (Like this...)

I was just realizing we need a silent mode too, to create a break...
Where the Pro wouldn't play anything for a few beats/measures...  (Sequence Zero? (0))

|  0  |
  |  4  |

[Edit:  In fact that makes me think of: Measures.beats
"This many measures *dot* this many beats."  (?) ]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 11:33:46 PM by Elric »

« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2022, 09:31:22 AM »
Any body else hearing like ringing / sandy sound after updating the latest os and aplying effects??

Greetings! Overall great update. Having a ton of fun with the synth. keep it roaring with the PRO3.

W07

« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2022, 03:42:52 PM »
I've been asking for this ever since the P12:
Osc ALL level
Osc ALL frequency coarse
Osc ALL frequency fine
Osc ALL shape
etc.

the first one is so simple,
but it's very often that i make a patch that changes when you use the slider, but the level changes a lot, or the timbre because of how osc level is driving into filter and distortion.
In this case i have to use 3 slots to have a level offset. This would save me 2 slots to do other stuff.

Also, if there's any way to make the effects DSP more efficient, it's so frustrating to have a great patch with reverb that ends up crackling once all mod slots are in use because of processing overload.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 03:44:24 PM by W07 »

« Reply #133 on: April 05, 2022, 11:41:47 PM »

More Wishes:  (or questions)

====  Sequencer:

-  Can we get a mode with 2x32 step sequences?  Instead of just 4x16 or 1x64...  Seems reasonable.

Yes, swesome sequencer suggestions 👍

« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2022, 04:59:27 AM »
The ability to disable/enable interpolation of the wavetables.

chysn

« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2022, 06:51:24 PM »
More could be done with Footswitch functions, beyond sustain and arpeggio hold. For example, it would be handy to assign the footswitch to "Toggle Effect Bypass" or "Advance A/B/C/D Sequence."

My biggest wish is still A/B/C/D selection via MIDI. But I also want to upvote (if that's even a thing here) LoboLives's discrete waveform request above. That one would have a helluva impact.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2022, 12:55:45 AM »

Haha. Duh...  (Scratch that wish, we already have it.)

We've got "Seq Track #" as a source!
Oops!

...So, uh....  Tip!
 -  Use "Seq Track 1" (thru 16) as a source in the Matrix!

- E

================================ 
[Edit:]
Wait, so, here's a place I need a multiplier. Right?
If you set a sequence Track as "Osc # Coarse Freq" to 8, that's one half-step.
[Every 8 is a half step, {96 = 1octave}]

Then, when you multiply that "Mod", it's a step for every "1" of the multiplier.
...right?
and that could work for the WaveTable as well, couldn't it? - Every 8 or 16 value is 'exactly' a wave?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 01:43:41 AM by Elric »

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #137 on: April 10, 2022, 09:02:40 PM »

So, what if you could set how long each step would be?
By 16th, 8th note, quarter note, dotted, ...
It wouldn't take much extra data/space at all. And could make the sequences longer.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2022, 12:10:32 AM »
If you have a mono sequence,
and you turn into a para-sequence,
the notes should be duplicated into the new tracks!!  :(

« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2022, 09:01:44 AM »
+1 for envelope curve adjustment