Converting AS-1 patches for use in Prophet 6?

Converting AS-1 patches for use in Prophet 6?
« on: August 31, 2020, 01:26:31 PM »
Has anyone successfully converted or successfully transmitted Toraiz AS-1 patches to the Prophet-6? I can successfully transmit a patch from the Prophet 6 to the AS-1 via program dump from the P6, but cannot get it to work trying to send a patch from the AS-1 to the P6.

I would add that the Prophet 6 makes a fantastic patch editor for the AS-1!

Re: Converting AS-1 patches for use in Prophet 6?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 06:23:49 PM »
Has anyone successfully converted or successfully transmitted Toraiz AS-1 patches to the Prophet-6? I can successfully transmit a patch from the Prophet 6 to the AS-1 via program dump from the P6, but cannot get it to work trying to send a patch from the AS-1 to the P6.

I would add that the Prophet 6 makes a fantastic patch editor for the AS-1!

Oh! Does this mean I could upload a P6 sound bank into my AS-1 with the editor?? That sound be amazing!!
OB6, PROPHET 6, REV2, PRO 3, AS-1, MOOG GRANDMOTHER, HYDRASYNTH, B2600, DIGITAKT, ANALOG RYTM, ASSORTED EURORACK

Jexus

• www.sounds-for-synths.com
    • www.sounds-for-synths.com
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 03:46:21 AM »
I'd like to know the answer too. Can Prophet-6 patches be imported into the AS-1?

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2023, 06:26:54 AM »
I'm going to say no but if you have an AS1 and P6 editor you can try and match the patches you want.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 08:58:07 AM »
I am under the impression that you can actually literally send a sysex P6 patch to an AS-1 and it will work. I could be wrong, but I believe they use the same sysex format. That said, there might need to be some conversion (e.g. the SoundTower editor might import P6 patches and convert them to AS-1) but I seem to recall (though I can't find it now) someone (from DSI?) saying it was directly compatible, without conversion.

[Edit: There is an AS-1 forum section here. You might be better off posting there than here in the P6 section, since your question more correctly applies to the AS-1, not the P6.]
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2023, 12:06:09 PM »
I am under the impression that you can actually literally send a sysex P6 patch to an AS-1 and it will work. I could be wrong, but I believe they use the same sysex format. That said, there might need to be some conversion (e.g. the SoundTower editor might import P6 patches and convert them to AS-1) but I seem to recall (though I can't find it now) someone (from DSI?) saying it was directly compatible, without conversion.

[Edit: There is an AS-1 forum section here. You might be better off posting there than here in the P6 section, since your question more correctly applies to the AS-1, not the P6.]

Unfortunately the Pioneer/Toriaz section of the forum is a ghost town.

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2023, 03:29:19 PM »
Unfortunately the Pioneer/Toriaz section of the forum is a ghost town.

Only because questions like this which might liven it up don't get posted there instead!  ;D
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2023, 04:54:28 PM »
I've never tried to send a patch from one to the other, but I have recreated some patches manually (using an editor to confirm values on both synths) and doing so was a reasonably fast for each patch..  although I wasn't doing dozens or hundreds at a time.

Keep in mind FX implementation is different between the two synths, and in my tests, the AS-1 sounded a little punchier for bass sounds compared to the P6 with patch parameters being equal (I wrote about this and posted clips in this post:  https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,5559.0.html). 

If anyone tries sending sysex for one to the other I'd love to hear how it goes either in this thread or the AS-1 thread.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC