Pro 3 hum/noise @ 3.5 - 4.5 kHz range

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
Pro 3 hum/noise @ 3.5 - 4.5 kHz range
« on: August 31, 2020, 05:20:41 AM »
Hi Pro 3 owners,

Love this synth but there's something weird going on. I have this noise/hum going on all the presets when I turn the filter down (All the filter types). There is no noise when the synth is idle, only when I play it. Do you have any idea what is going on?

I've attached a sound sample and also a picture from an eq where the noise occurs in the frequency range "3.5 - 4.5 kHz" (see the red arrow in the attached picture).

N.B. this was recorded with no effects or eq - just straight with no sugar. PRO3 Master Volume at 50%. (Preset U1 P1 Old Saw)

I can also hear this noise with headphones connected to the PRO3.

Am I the only one with this hum/noise in the 3.5 - 4.5 kHz range, can you help me out to verify this?

P.

Re: Pro 3 hum/noise @ 3.5 - 4.5 kHz range
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 06:07:24 AM »
I had this with mine, had to send it back, got a new replacement, it was like a metalic distortion underneath certain notes, like a low freq distortion, when you hear it you can zero in with the filter and find and make it louder.

Hi Pro 3 owners,

Love this synth but there's something weird going on. I have this noise/hum going on all the presets when I turn the filter down (All the filter types). There is no noise when the synth is idle, only when I play it. Do you have any idea what is going on?

I've attached a sound sample and also a picture from an eq where the noise occurs in the frequency range "3.5 - 4.5 kHz" (see the red arrow in the attached picture).

I had this with mine had to send it back and then got a replacement, the replacement is also doing this on some presets but not all, my first machine was crazy bad, it sounded like a metallic distortion underneath certain low freq notes.

N.B. this was recorded with no effects or eq - just straight with no sugar. PRO3 Master Volume at 50%. (Preset U1 P1 Old Saw)

I can also hear this noise with headphones connected to the PRO3.

Am I the only one with this hum/noise in the 3.5 - 4.5 kHz range, can you help me out to verify this?

P.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 06:10:00 AM by Fiddlestickz »

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 06:47:59 AM »
Thanks Fiddlestickz,

I'm pretty much screwd - I can't return this unit. Bought it through Andertons.uk to Iceland and they have no return policy / warranty outside U.K.

P.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 08:06:53 AM »
Contact Sequential tech support, possibly you can just take out the main voice board and send it to them for repair.  I had an issue like this with my Prophet 12 it was a higher pitched frequency artifact in the sound of the oscillators but all I had to do was take out the main voice board and send it in. 

That’s pretty shitty of Andertons return policy big middle finger to them for that. 
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 08:49:09 AM »
That's a great idea S Y Z Y G Y X - I'll try that!  8)

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 08:59:59 AM »
Sounds similar to my story, which is also on this forum

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4562.0.html

My replacement unit was fine, and did not have this "whistling" sound.

Even if they don't do returns, I would still write them and ask for options.
Some companies will help you out if you work with them.
Doesn't hurt to ask :)

Best regards,

Gino

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 03:35:22 AM »
Thanks Gino,

I sent them an email regarding this issue, hopefully they can give me an advice.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 06:01:17 AM »
I received my Pro 3 yesterday and it has this exact fault. Noticed straight away when I started having a play and it's easy to isolate the digital/white noise using an EQ around 3-4k on my unit with the filter turned down. I noticed the noise subsided quite a lot after playing with it most of the evening, turned it on again this morning and it's back with a vengeance, very frustrating  >:(

Emailed Scan regarding a replacement earlier so hopefully they can help.

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2020, 03:24:25 PM »
The one that I had with a similar problem had a serial number that ended in "48".

If your serial number ends in "48" I hope they fixed it before they sent it out :)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 03:26:47 PM by Gino.Cortesi »

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 03:34:20 PM »
@Petur did you have any luck finding a solution?

Im convinced the noise is coming from the oscillator amp section after trying to make sense of it the past couple of evenings.
Mines in its box now waiting to be sent back for replacement.

Added some examples for anyone curious

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2020, 09:53:35 AM »

Im convinced the noise is coming from the oscillator amp section after trying to make sense of it the past couple of evenings.

Hi Kongsfinger,

No there was no solution, this is hardware related and you should send it back for a replacement. I know it sucks to wait but believe me, it will be worth it.

I've got a new motherboard replacement and damn - what a difference in sound and enjoyment. Totally worth the hassle!

I listnened to your audio samples and this was exactly what was driving me crazy.

P.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:59:01 AM by Petur »

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2020, 09:57:08 AM »

Hi Kongsfinger,

No there was no solution, this is hardware related and you should send it back for a replacement. I know it sucks to wait but beleive me, it will be worth it.

I've got a new motherboard replacement and damn - what a difference in sound and enjoyment. Totally worth the hassle!

P.

Great to hear you got it sorted out!

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »
Thanks Gino! :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 10:06:41 AM by Petur »

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 10:36:43 AM »

Hi Kongsfinger,

No there was no solution, this is hardware related and you should send it back for a replacement. I know it sucks to wait but believe me, it will be worth it.

I listnened to your audio samples and this was exactly what was driving me crazy.

P.

@Petur That's great news they sent you a replacement board and you can experience the Pro 3 in all its glory!

Scan have been kind enough to test my replacement unit before sending it out to ensure I don't end up with another faulty one. Hopefully getting it back next week

Petur

• Rev 2 - Pro 3 - Take 5
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2020, 01:38:01 PM »
Excellent news Kongsfinger and a great move to let them test it before shipping!  8)

P.

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2020, 05:33:08 AM »
Hi all! I am a brand new DSI-user, and have just received my Pro 3 - and it has the exact problem has described above too. Very easy to hear using the basic patch, with low osc level, and an almost closed filter. Changing filter does not change anything. It is there in all present sounds too, and only when I play something, so it's not like the synth itself is noisy or anything.

Bit of a bummer, for the synth is lovely beside this. Am I correct in understanding from the above, that my best action would be to ask Thomann (where I bought it) for a replacement?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:14:49 AM by Catbox555 »

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2020, 10:19:38 AM »
I would reach out to support first, then if they cant resolve pursue a replacement. It helps if you can record the sound.

Best regards,

Gino

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »
Hi Gino! Thanks for the reply! I have already written Thomann now, though, as the issue seems to match exactly with both your and kongsfingers descriptions above, where the solution seems to be a replacement. It sounds just like in the soundfiles found here in the thread, and just like kongsfinger describes, it also went away after a bit of playing time, but comes back again after having turned the unit off, so somethings clearly wrong. I keep my fingers crossed that the replacement will go smoothly, because apart from this, it seems a really interesting and great sounding synth.

(Have added a short audio example for others who might have the same issue. Just the init patch with filter closed a bit. No fx, resonance or anything.)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 11:35:12 AM by Catbox »

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 08:53:34 AM »
Hi Gino! Thanks for the reply! I have already written Thomann now, though, as the issue seems to match exactly with both your and kongsfingers descriptions above, where the solution seems to be a replacement. It sounds just like in the soundfiles found here in the thread, and just like kongsfinger describes, it also went away after a bit of playing time, but comes back again after having turned the unit off, so somethings clearly wrong. I keep my fingers crossed that the replacement will go smoothly, because apart from this, it seems a really interesting and great sounding synth.

(Have added a short audio example for others who might have the same issue. Just the init patch with filter closed a bit. No fx, resonance or anything.)

What did Thomann respond?

I have a similar problem with mine and Thomann told me it was normal and within specs.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 09:37:46 AM »
Hello,  :)

If I understand correctly, you seem to have background noise coming from the device? This could be due to poor manufacturing, it is true. If you would like to try an alternative before shipping, you can purchase a noise and hum suppressor. It is a box to be connected between the machine and your speakers (console or other ...), this has the effect of destroying any audio parasite, interference, buzzing, noise.

In many cases this works well.

Here is a link to the affected product:

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000KUD2G4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

:D ;D
Tiptop Audio Buchla System
ASM Hydrasynth
Endorphin.es Shuttle System
Soma Pulsar23
Sequential Prophet 6, Rev2, Pro3
Waldorf Quantum
Akai MPC One
Moog DFAM
Arturia Microfreak
Beringher Model D
Elektron Digitakt