What lead you to DSI synths, and where did you come from?

Re: What lead you to DSI synths, and where did you come from?
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2020, 02:01:28 PM »
What lead me to DSI?  My ears!  ;D

Seriously though, I grew up on 80s electro/hip-hop/new wave and later industrial (alongside skate rock and thrash), and despite the hype Moog gets, that sound is REALLY driven by the Pro One.  Because the Pro One just has a brighter, punchier mid-bass tone and super snappy envelopes, that really serve the bass function better in more sparse productions than even a Model D (I know, blasphemy, but I stand by it).

But it was only by looking at what gear some of my favorites used - Skinny Puppy, Newcleus' "Jam On it", Yaz - all used the Pro One.

Ironically that's the ONE synth I still don't have - despite having like $5k worth of DSI gear.  It's also the sound - with U-he's Repro-1 - that finally convinced me that software might be viable.

Sadly, even though I love all DSI/Sequential products, I'm probably going to have to buy the Behringer copy, because none of the DSI monos hit that same spot.  And it's not just nostalgia, it's a TONE, just like a Stradivarius is a tone.  Sadly Dave isn't interested in it, so as much as I hate to say it, I'll have to give Uli my money.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:03:31 PM by proteus-ix »

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2020, 04:00:02 PM »
I was learning some music production ITB and decided to get a hardware mono in order to more easily learn synthesis, and to have better resale value than a software plugin. During the first few weeks after deciding to look for a second-hand mono, a MoPho keyboard caught my eye, at a great price and in good condition. I was swept up by how fun this thing was! Since then, I've added a Tetra for the polyphony and combo mode. I may eventually upgrade to a Rev 2, but I am admittedly a bit sentimental about this little yellow keyboard... I don't know what I'll do! :D

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »
2005 -- rising from the ashes of the dark age of analog poly synth production -- the Poly Evolver.   I had a Nord Lead 3 at the time, but PEK immediately became my muse...  the hybrid nature, cool built-in effects, tuned feedback, and stereo architecture made it unlike anything before.    Now, fifteen years later, its still one of my favorites.   It's in good family with the Rev2 and Pro3 as well :)

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral