Replacement Ob6 knobs and stems

Replacement Ob6 knobs and stems
« on: August 23, 2020, 02:41:21 AM »
Hi All:

I've searched the forums and haven't found an answer to this. Sincere apologies if this is a stupid question, but one of the knobs on my ob6 (the effect choice knob) broke off - both the knob itself and the internal 'stem' that connects to it - both ripped off.  It's still functional, but very difficult to turn as the remaining stub is nearly flush with the panel.  Does Sequential or any third parties offer replacement stems/knobs and does anyone know of any tutorials on how to fix/replace a knob?

Thanks

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Replacement Ob6 knobs and stems
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 06:18:24 AM »
I wouldn't fudge around with that problem, if I were you.  Sequential may be able to guide you through a replacement by email or phone.  Otherwise, you might need to send in the board to have them fix it.  Either way, contact support:

Phone: (415) 830-6393 x1
Fax (707) 286-5501
email: support@sequential.com

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »
Sacred Synthesis's advice is the best solution. Contact Sequential support. That knob is a notched digital encoder soldered to the panel printed circuit board. In order to replace it, it would have to be desoldered. Not an impossible job for someone having electronics as a hobby and having tools and such, but rather difficult for anyone else.

A replacement front panel board would be the best solution, and it is relatively easy to replace.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 03:46:14 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  Already sent an email to Sequential, just figured I'd check this forum while I waited for a response.