Rev2 - End Of Life (EOL) ?

Rev2 - End Of Life (EOL) ?
« on: August 19, 2020, 02:57:21 AM »
I have just gone to buy a Rev2, and my supplier no longer has it in stock, they sold out.

They can not order any more as DSI/Sequential have told them it is EOL.

Is there a Rev 3 coming or something else to replace the Rev2?

LPF83

Re: Rev2 - End Of Life (EOL) ?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 06:43:12 AM »
I have just gone to buy a Rev2, and my supplier no longer has it in stock, they sold out.

Who is your supplier?  This seems unlikely, given that the Rev2 is one of the newer synths in their lineup.. EOL after only a couple of years would be uncharacteristic, and usually there is plenty of stock even after EOL is announced.

But there is supposed to be a new product announcement this month.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 04:55:14 PM »
Yikes, my Rev2 just arrived today!  I'll be more than a little miffed if a rev3 is announced this month!

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »
Yikes, my Rev2 just arrived today!  I'll be more than a little miffed if a rev3 is announced this month!

I just bought a (new) Prophet 6, knowing full well a new product was coming -- simply because I wanted one and I prefer a year or two of production to work the bugs out of a new product before I buy it, so if they released it today I still don't think I'd buy for at least a year.

Honestly I like my Rev2 so much I was thinking of maybe picking up a second one, maybe a module in a year or so anyway.  So if Dave announces a Rev3, maybe multi-filter like Pro3 with a sequencer that competes with the Minilogue, then I wouldn't mind picking one up after an OS patch or 2.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 06:31:06 PM »

That indeed would be shocking and out of character for Sequential.  The original Prophet '08 was in production (or at least available from the company) for ten years.  The Rev2 is just about to reach its point of full maturity at the age of three with the final update.  I seriously doubt it's about to be retired.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 06:08:20 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jg666

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 11:53:02 PM »
I've checked on a few of my usual music shops online (I'm in the UK) and they all have stock except one of them - Gear4Music. In fact they only seemed to have the Prophet X and Prophet XL when I searched.

I can't imagine that the Rev2 is coming to EOL so soon given (as others have said) the history of all DSI/Sequential synths.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 02:08:16 AM »
I asked Sequential directly, and they have confirmed they do not plan on discontinuing the Rev2 "for the foreseeable future".   :D

I'm now finding out why the retailer is claiming Sequential told them it's EOL.  >:(

jg666

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 02:10:32 AM »
I asked Sequential directly, and they have confirmed they do not plan on discontinuing the Rev2 "for the foreseeable future".   :D

I'm now finding out why the retailer is claiming Sequential told them it's EOL.  >:(

That's good to know :) Who was the retailer as a matter of interest?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6