Evolver OS status

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Evolver OS status
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 08:17:10 AM »
Currently there is a choice between the sound and facilities which seems not to work for any of us.

I get the feeling that folks are adapting to what the instruments can and can't do.  I would rather not fall to this approach, but instead, search until I've found the instrument that best serves the musical needs.  That's why I resist the lust merely for the newest most talked-about equipment when that equipment will not serve as well as the older. 

chysn

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 07:54:49 PM »
Currently there is a choice between the sound and facilities which seems not to work for any of us.

I get the feeling that folks are adapting to what the instruments can and can't do.  I would rather not fall to this approach, but instead, search until I've found the instrument that best serves the musical needs.  That's why I resist the lust merely for the newest most talked-about equipment when that equipment will not serve as well as the older.

It's a matter of letting the right you make the decisions.

When I think about my Little Phatty, I say to myself, "That thing doesn't have many knobs, and its architecture is too simple. Sell it. Get something new and loaded with stuff!" But when I play my Little Phatty, I say to myself, "This thing is perfect! It sounds amazing, and it can do anything I want it to do!" I suppose that maybe the playing me is right. And the playing me has specifically instructed the thinking me to under no circumstances list the Little Phatty on ebay without playing it for a half hour first. It's playing me who gets to give the all clear to make way for whatever's next.

The thinking me likes the Evolver, and doesn't care about its bugs. The playing me drifts in his interest in working so hard on sounds. The playing me doesn't currently have much interest in anything without patch cables, but that probably isn't permanent.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

dslsynth

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2016, 06:09:06 AM »
That's why I resist the lust merely for the newest most talked-about equipment when that equipment will not serve as well as the older.

Well the problem is that there is no logical solution to the current situation as

NOT (GreatSound OR AdvancedModulation) <=> NOT GreatSound AND NOT AdvancedModulation

which essentially is a really really crappy softsynth. So beware!

The playing me doesn't currently have much interest in anything without patch cables, but that probably isn't permanent.

Watch out as this can develop into a very serious condition!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 01:55:42 PM »

Well, you sort of adapted to what your instruments can and can't do too by getting many of them in order to extend their polyphony.  ;) But I get where you're coming from.

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 01:57:31 PM »
Well the problem is that there is no logical solution to the current situation as

NOT (GreatSound OR AdvancedModulation) <=> NOT GreatSound AND NOT AdvancedModulation

Wait, that's not so logical. How did the "OR" become an "AND NOT"?

dslsynth

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 02:18:02 PM »

Standard mathematical logic rewrite rule: NOT (a OR b) <=> (NOT a) AND (NOT b)

I remember having seen papers on the difference between negation in natural languages and mathematical logic. That difference is of cause part of joke.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2016, 02:27:29 PM »

Standard mathematical logic rewrite rule: NOT (a OR b) <=> (NOT a) AND (NOT b)

I remember having seen papers on the difference between negation in natural languages and mathematical logic. That difference is of cause part of joke.

In legal texts this interpretation would lead to a catastrophe.

I'm still not sure whether the mathematical logic is fully consistent in this case, as usually the signifier that defines the relation between two numbers/values in brackets is considered. So maybe mathematics deals with a gap here.

This must also lead to a lot of discussions, since you cannot fully separate the logic of language from mathematical logic - at least not in research works. Beyond that the greek λόγος (lógos) refers to words and speech. It's something that needs to be heard. As such, λόγος lies within that which is said.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:37:10 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2016, 02:52:04 PM »
It's perfectly logical, if 1=true and 0=false

Code: [Select]
A. B.   Or   not or   not A   not B.   Not A And Not B
0. 0.   0.    1.         1.        1.        1
0. 1.   1.    0.         1.        0.        0.
1. 0.   1.    0.         0.        1.        0.
1. 1.   1.    0.         0.        0.        0.

If there are only two states (true and false) then Boolean algebra can't be argued with.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 02:54:02 PM by BobTheDog »

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2016, 02:57:58 PM »
But what about the in-betweens?  ;D

dslsynth

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2016, 03:06:10 PM »
As BobTheDog says its completely standard boolean algebra. We see the same challenge in the world of synthesis: those black and white on/off switches won't takes us all the way. ;)
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2016, 03:10:33 PM »

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2016, 03:38:11 PM »
Thank god it's getting warmer: no need for fuzzy things.  ;D

dslsynth

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2016, 03:39:09 AM »

That's where it gets fuzzy.

:o . o O ( god shave the queen )
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2016, 09:27:35 AM »

That's where it gets fuzzy.

:o . o O ( god shave the queen )

You're a very naughty boy.

dslsynth

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
You're a very naughty boy.

Naaa just too much RTFM... ;)
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 09:16:31 AM »
Out of curiosity what is the current DSI view on the MIDI bugs in the Evolver products? Any chance for a fix?
I've just purchased an Evolver desktop... what are the midi bugs? Hoping that knowing what they are will keep me from tripping over them.

dslsynth

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
I've just purchased an Evolver desktop... what are the midi bugs? Hoping that knowing what they are will keep me from tripping over them.

Sorry for the late reply. Over on dsiforum.com a forum user named Razmo wrote a list of the Evolver bugs he knew about. One of the most visible bugs is that when an edit buffer message is sent to the Evolver not all of the parameters are being transferred to the voice. One of these parameters are the trigger select parameter.

Another bug I remember seeing someone (chysn) comment on is that in single steep sequencer mode at least one of the sequences starts/restarts at step two instead of step one. There are probably a few more than that.

Hope this helps!
#!/bin/sh

chysn

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »
Another bug I remember seeing someone (chysn) comment on is that in single steep sequencer mode at least one of the sequences starts/restarts at step two instead of step one.

That's right. When the Sequence Trigger Select mode is set to EiC (using the Ext Audio In to gate the sequencer), then Sequence 1 starts on step 2 when the first gate is received after a reset. If you are using CV to clock the sequencer, the workaround is to avoid using Sequence 1.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his