Recommended VSTs to sample for the PX (mostly Orchestral)?

LoboLives

Recommended VSTs to sample for the PX (mostly Orchestral)?
« on: August 05, 2020, 10:20:22 PM »
I just got SampleRobot and it’s blowing my mind with it's ease of use. While I’m looking at sampling some more classic sample synth sounds I really would like to see some more Orchestral samples as I want to try and start using the PX for more classic Orchestral soundtrack work and I’m looking for certain articulations/sounds for brass and strings. Rips, growls, runs, flutter tongue etc.

Now that SampleRobot can sample VSTs directly, does anyone have any recommendations for these sounds? I was looking at EastWest Hollywood Brass but Im not sure if that might overload the PX in terms of file sizes.

Re: Recommended VSTs to sample for the PX (mostly Orchestral)?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 11:21:30 AM »
Slightly off topic, but could I ask what setting are you using for your samples, eg 16 bit, 44.1kz and 4096 sample rate?
Reason is I'm using the http://scw.sheetsofsound.com/editor.html and getting varied results.
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 02:13:19 PM »
Slightly off topic, but could I ask what setting are you using for your samples, eg 16 bit, 44.1kz and 4096 sample rate?
Reason is I'm using the http://scw.sheetsofsound.com/editor.html and getting varied results.

If your sole purpose is to import into the Prophet X it's probably best to sample at 48kHz which is what all samples are converted to before it can import them.  While the instrument only accepts 16-bit samples, if you're doing any editing or normalizing at all after the fact it can make sense to capture at 24-bit, do your edits, and let the final export dither the result down to 16-bit.  The ideal length of a single-cycle waveform is unrelated to orchestral sampling and probably deserves a different thread to discuss.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:15:50 PM by Lady Gaia »

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 11:19:02 AM »

Lobo, There's lots of good VST rompers out there. My suggestion would be to start with what you already have, do some experimentation, and that will likely inform your decision as to what VSTs you may (or may not) be interested in.

Side Note:

As usual, Logo gives me an idea.  I'm thinking of a sampling project where I sample attacks and sustained looped portions separately, then combine them in the Prophet X in various ways -- Similar conceptually to the D-50.

Advantages.... smaller file size for the entire sample set. Greater flexibility in combining various attack transients with various sustained loops.  Could be a fun little project to work on.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 10:58:40 PM »
@Shaw, good idea - how are you going to combine the short attack samples with the sustained looped portions in the Prophet X technically?
DSI Prophet REV 2, Prophet X

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 12:01:41 AM »
@Shaw, good idea - how are you going to combine the short attack samples with the sustained looped portions in the Prophet X technically?

Same way you already can in the PX. One Instrument is a short attack and the other is a sustained loop.

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 05:45:18 AM »
yep - that makes sense  8)
DSI Prophet REV 2, Prophet X

Shaw

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 07:32:02 AM »

Same way you already can in the PX. One Instrument is a short attack and the other is a sustained loop.

... and use an envelope for a quick "fade-in" of the sustained portion of the sound where needed.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |