Arpeggiator/Sequencer midi clock out to trigger drum machine

Arpeggiator/Sequencer midi clock out to trigger drum machine
« on: August 02, 2020, 06:21:46 PM »
I am trying to trigger my drum machine to start playing as soon as I start to play the OB6 arpeggiator/sequencer. I am running midi out of the ob6 into the midi in of my Roland TR707. Parameters on the OB6 are as follows

Midi Out: nid
Param Xmit: nAS
Midi Clock: out
Midi Channel: 10

The TR707 has been configured to midi channel 10 and set to slave to accept midi clock in. The only thing that I get is that I am able to play the drum machine sounds on the keys of the OB6. All I want to do is trigger the drum sequencer to start playing once I start playing the OB6. The OB6 manual says all you have to do to trigger an external device is the start playing notes or hit play on the sequencer. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Arpeggiator/Sequencer midi clock out to trigger drum machine
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 04:30:45 AM »
Hi

Do you mean as soon as you start playing as in bashing keys or do you mean as soon as you start the arp or sequencer?

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 05:13:54 PM »
I want the drum machine to start running as soon as I hit a key on the keyboard. Since hitting a key starts the arp, that should also be starting the drum machine. Hitting play on the sequencer should also start an external sequencer. All three of these actions should be starting the drum machine. This should be a very simple process and for some reason it is not. I am running midi out of the OB6 into the midi in of the TR707. I have the TR707 set as slave and to receive midi. I believe all of the parameters of both the OB6 and the TR707 are set correctly. Hopefully I have explained this well enough. Thanks

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 03:29:30 AM »
I didn't realise this but as far as I can tell (using a MIDI monitor) the OB6 doesn't transmit any MIDI start/stop commands on either arp start or sequencer start. It only sends MIDI out. Disappointing. Nor does it seem to send note data from sequencer or arp.

Can anybody confirm this?

MIDI clock alone won't trigger the TR707 to start.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 06:25:04 PM »
This isn't exactly the solution you were asking for, but the s-trig out on the 707 (rimshot or tom...I forget) should either start the sequencer or "step" the sequencer depending on how your OB-6 is configured.

It's been awhile, but maybe try chan 9 with Roland products?

Sorry, it's been a long time since I read the 707's manual.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 10:30:32 AM »
Hi did you ever get an answer to this please?

I have exactly the same issue trying to get my OB6 sequencer to trigger ( via midi) a TR6s drum machine. It worked perfectly with my Take 5 but the OB6 is having none if it!. Cheers.Dave

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2022, 10:09:01 AM »
The sync of midi clock data would be a nice addition.  Don't know if that's even possible.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 10:06:56 AM »
I didn't realise this but as far as I can tell (using a MIDI monitor) the OB6 doesn't transmit any MIDI start/stop commands on either arp start or sequencer start. It only sends MIDI out. Disappointing. Nor does it seem to send note data from sequencer or arp.

Can anybody confirm this?

MIDI clock alone won't trigger the TR707 to start.

I've also wanted to do this. Hope this functionality gets added.