How do you organize your banks and presets? And why?

How do you organize your banks and presets? And why?
« on: July 28, 2020, 03:11:14 PM »
I have been making patches and haven’t really had any rhyme or reason to where I save them )other than in numerical order as I make them). If I were gigging I’d probably do it as setlists I’d imagine. How do you guys save your patches?

Bass, leads, pads etc?
OB6, Tempest, Subsequent 37 Nord Stage 2 EX. Mainly guitar....

LoboLives

Re: How do you organize your banks and presets? And why?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 07:36:26 AM »
I don’t have an OB6 but on my P6 I have all the original 40 Prophet 5 presets in the first few Banks. Bank 100 I have my John Carpenter presets. About 10 sounds from each film he used the Prophet 5 on so that’s about 40 presets right there as well and then from 200 and onwards I have misc soundtrack patches from various composers (Brad Fiedel, Goblin, Mark Isham etc). Bank 300 I have sounds and presets from various bands.

For the OB6 I’d probably do the same. Just organize it based on influences.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:28:56 AM »
Banks 1 and 2 are all my custom patches, and Bank 4 is my favorites from all the factory presets.  I use the Soundtower editor to move the presets around and back everything up.

kris

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 03:04:03 AM »
I have been making patches and haven’t really had any rhyme or reason to where I save them )other than in numerical order as I make them). If I were gigging I’d probably do it as setlists I’d imagine. How do you guys save your patches?

Bass, leads, pads etc?
I don't use the synth's memory at all in my home studio, I store all patches in the software I have written and also send them to the synth while jamming. I'm planning to do a tablet version of the software and bolt that to my rack so I can use it with a touchscreen. And it will organize patches from all my synths...
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 10:30:00 PM »
I organize in sets of 10 my own patches by category:
00X are scratch and init templates (bass, pad)
01X are basses
02X are leads
03X are keys
04X are patches playable like keys
05X are pads

That way if I want, say, a lead I can key in 020 and quickly scan through a few options! It works for me because I focus on getting a few presets I really love rather than making new ones all the time.

Everything else is for messing around, factory, and patches I've bought. Eventually I'll probably clear out the 100s once I need more room for more of my own patches as well, keeping the same groupings (12X would be for more leads).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:32:59 PM by SimpleRabbit »