The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

How do you organize your banks and presets? And why?

How do you organize your banks and presets? And why?
« on: July 28, 2020, 03:11:14 PM »
I have been making patches and havenít really had any rhyme or reason to where I save them )other than in numerical order as I make them). If I were gigging Iíd probably do it as setlists Iíd imagine. How do you guys save your patches?

Bass, leads, pads etc?
OB6, Tempest, Subsequent 37 Nord Stage 2 EX. Mainly guitar....

Re: How do you organize your banks and presets? And why?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 07:36:26 AM »
I donít have an OB6 but on my P6 I have all the original 40 Prophet 5 presets in the first few Banks. Bank 100 I have my John Carpenter presets. About 10 sounds from each film he used the Prophet 5 on so thatís about 40 presets right there as well and then from 200 and onwards I have misc soundtrack patches from various composers (Brad Fiedel, Goblin, Mark Isham etc). Bank 300 I have sounds and presets from various bands.

For the OB6 Iíd probably do the same. Just organize it based on influences.
Prophet 6, Prophet X, Moog Sub 37, Tempest Drum Computer, Roland V Piano, Fender American Stratocaster, Roger Linn Adrenalinn iii, Origin Effects Cali76 and SlideRig compressor, ASUS Zenbook Pro Computer, Soundcraft MTK 22 Mixer, Mark Of The Unicorn Digital Performer 10 Software.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:28:56 AM »
Banks 1 and 2 are all my custom patches, and Bank 4 is my favorites from all the factory presets.  I use the Soundtower editor to move the presets around and back everything up.

kris

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 03:04:03 AM »
I have been making patches and havenít really had any rhyme or reason to where I save them )other than in numerical order as I make them). If I were gigging Iíd probably do it as setlists Iíd imagine. How do you guys save your patches?

Bass, leads, pads etc?
I don't use the synth's memory at all in my home studio, I store all patches in the software I have written and also send them to the synth while jamming. I'm planning to do a tablet version of the software and bolt that to my rack so I can use it with a touchscreen. And it will organize patches from all my synths...
Check out the free Rev2 and OB-6 and Sysex Librarian https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm
DSI Prophet Rev 2 (16) - DSI OB-6 - Korg DW 8000 - Oberheim Matrix 1000 - Kawai K3M - Access Virus B - Roland MKS 80 - Behringer Model D

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 10:30:00 PM »
I organize in sets of 10 my own patches by category:
00X are scratch and init templates (bass, pad)
01X are basses
02X are leads
03X are keys
04X are patches playable like keys
05X are pads

That way if I want, say, a lead I can key in 020 and quickly scan through a few options! It works for me because I focus on getting a few presets I really love rather than making new ones all the time.

Everything else is for messing around, factory, and patches I've bought. Eventually I'll probably clear out the 100s once I need more room for more of my own patches as well, keeping the same groupings (12X would be for more leads).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:32:59 PM by SimpleRabbit »