Legato/slides

MickH

Legato/slides
« on: July 26, 2020, 06:29:38 AM »
I'm trying to make some acid style sequences on the pro 3, is there any way to get the notes to slide in the classic 303 way? The manual doesn't suggest it's possible... Would seem to be a bit of an oversight on a synth that's so heavily built around the 16 beat sequencer? Any ideas? I feel like there must be a complex workaround but I didn't want to bother if there's an easy way. Can't quite figure it out.

Thanks all!

Mick

Re: Legato/slides
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 09:09:15 AM »

You can set the glide amount. In fact you can even set the glide per oscillator. But I don’t think it’s possible to do 303 slides since glide is not a mod destination and you can tie 2 notes that aren’t the same.

Strangely not many people seem to even bring it up, but it’s a pretty basic function. I’m not even an acid kind of guy but I’ve sent a request for note ties.

MickH

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 10:37:40 AM »
Yeah that's what I figured. Quite a frustrating oversight tbh. Seems really strange as I imagine it is possible to do it over midi - I had hoped there might have been a way to set the sequencer notes duration over 100% but couldn't work it out. The only thing I can think is to set the pitch tracking over the oscillators individually over a different channel but I think that will be quite fiddly to get right. I guess I can make a feature request

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »
I am kinda miffed at this too...Subsequent 37 Can def do it 😑
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

MickH

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 12:51:12 PM »
I wonder if maybe the sequencer architecture can't support it for one reason or another... Its the only reason I can think that something so relatively basic wouldn't be implemented  :-\

MickH

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 04:49:43 PM »
Jeez that last message was a little dramatic, I need to chill out lol

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 06:03:32 PM »
Might be as simple as just allowing the duration control to go to 101%...?

+1 for this request.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

MickH

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 06:20:51 AM »
Another option would be a quantized tracking feature for pitch modulations of oscillators, but I agree I think note duration would be the simpler/more intuitive from a UI perspective. Does anyone know if its possible on the pro 2? How does it work there if so?

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 09:11:21 PM »
Ha, I posted the same question on the Pro3 FB group.  This stumped me on the very first sequence I tried to create
 (and it wasn’t a 303 riff!).  I was sure i was missing something!

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 04:00:30 AM »
+1 for this feature. The pro 3 is such a great synth for basslines and has such an awesome sequencer. Adding note ties/slides would add another dimension to sequences :D

RAFH

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 10:39:12 AM »
+1000000 for this please Sequential....

What I don't understand is why the manual seems to imply that you can actually implement it? You cant...
Sequential Pro-3, Elektron Analog Heat MK2, Elektron Analog RYTM MK2, Elektron Analog Four MK2, Pioneer Toraiz SP-16, Behringer TD-3, 104hp Modular Synth w/Mutable Instruments modules, 48hp Modular FX box with Intellijel Rainmaker and Audio I/O, Eventide H9 MAX

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 03:29:47 AM »
+1 for ties please

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 07:58:51 PM »
+1 too please  ;).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 08:02:58 PM by Wavtekt »

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 02:31:47 AM »
+1 on SOME way of sequencing with ties, I spent a lot of time yesterday trying and failing, either one of the following would have solved it, none worked:

1. Allow Ties to be between notes, also tie-ing across rests, so that different duration ties can be programmed.
2. Having Glide amount, or Glide On/Off, or Slew on/off, as a destination in mod matrix, so that they can be sequenced.

Each of the above have their advantages/disadvantages - all are better than the current state where nothing works besides manually altering the controls while the sequencer is running.

At least having glide amount as a destination should be "very easy" in terms of the development effort involved, no?

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 02:28:44 AM »
Please if you do implement this Sequential - we can get just a slew amount per step for all tracks - its not just pitch we want to be able to glide at different rates! its things like cutoff and the rest..

thats really the main thing the synth is missing.. sequences would be incredible with slew

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2023, 08:58:49 AM »
Another bump.  Switched on the Pro3 yesterday after a bit of a hiatus and immediately ran into this.  Sigh.

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2023, 01:19:53 AM »
Another vote here👍

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2023, 08:29:12 AM »
+1

MickH

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2023, 02:09:39 AM »
I wonder if I have worked out a very partial kludge:
1. Set an aux envelope.
2. Assign to osc all pitch
3. Add a delay with a slight attack no decay and full sustain with small amount of release.
4. Make sure the envelope creates roughly the right timing for a 'glide' effect; the delay perameter is obviously very important here.
5. Add a sequencer track to modulate the amount of the envelope to pitch in the mod matrix
6. The amount will control the pitch

This works to some extent though I need to do more practice, but there are still some problems/drawbacks, apart from the complexity, the main one being it only allows a glide over one particular note length. You could possibly get around this by setting two or more envelopes with different delay times.

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2023, 09:30:17 AM »
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1