Modulations

Modulations
« on: July 23, 2020, 02:39:13 AM »
Hi experienced synthesis people!
I’m looking for some suggestions for how to make use of some of some of the strange (to me at least) modulation options.
Noise as a source for example. This is a crazy fast source to apply to anything, and I typically get just noise as a result! Anyone got a use for this ?

DC as a source. Perhaps obvious to people with modular background, but it seems to just send a fixed ‘offset’ to the destination. Not sure how to make musical use of this !

And now for a destination - we have “VCA” and “Env VCA Amount” - what’s the difference?

Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks,
Kev
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

Shaw

Re: Modulations
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 08:14:10 AM »
Hi experienced synthesis people!
I’m looking for some suggestions for how to make use of some of some of the strange (to me at least) modulation options.
Noise as a source for example. This is a crazy fast source to apply to anything, and I typically get just noise as a result! Anyone got a use for this ?

DC as a source. Perhaps obvious to people with modular background, but it seems to just send a fixed ‘offset’ to the destination. Not sure how to make musical use of this !

I like modulating Filter Cutoff with Noise using an envelope to control the amount.
Noise modulating LFO frequency can produce some interesting results. (Small amounts, or amounts controlled by an envelope)

Here’s one example for DC... Set an LFO to modulate Filter Cutoff R (Amount set to 20), Then set the same LFO to modulate Filter Cutoff L (amount set to -20), then set DC to modulate Filter Cutoff L (amount set to 20).  The end result is that the same LFO will modulate L and R filters in opposite directions but will do so within the same range on each side of the stereo field.

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 10:58:39 AM »
Thanks Shaw, will try these.
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 12:13:23 PM »
Thanks Shaw, will try these.

Typing these responses from my phone, so I didn’t get too far in depth, but in general, experiment.  And also try to use one (or more) modulation sources to effect the amounts of your modulations — this can add some dynamics and depth.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 07:41:54 AM »
Hi Shaw, so I tried your suggestions :)
Loved the stereo one, this is going to be a staple going forwards.
I'm still to be sold on the use of noise, will keep trying different options. But what it has revealed is that we get a noise oscillator this way, without the need to use up an instrument!

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 09:54:19 AM »
Maybe you've already seen this, but heres an interesting way to use noise (in an indirect way anyway). One thing thats helpful for understanding the mod matrix is to deconstruct pre-existing patches that you like. Then once you figure out whats creating the sound, you can apply those mods in your own way.

Sound Vision