OB-6 Distortion..

Novem

OB-6 Distortion..
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:14:49 PM »
I had a chance to checkout the OB-6 today. One thing I didn't see was the distortion button, like on the Prophet 6. Reading the manual, I see that there is a distortion in the "FX" section..is this a stereo analog distortion like the Prophet has or is it a digital fx?

The Prophet 6 and OB-6 both sound Awesome in person, can't lose with either one!

Novem

Re: OB-6 Distortion..
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:23:12 PM »
I had a chance to checkout the OB-6 today. One thing I didn't see was the distortion button, like on the Prophet 6. Reading the manual, I see that there is a distortion in the "FX" section..is this a stereo analog distortion like the Prophet has or is it a digital fx?

The Prophet 6 and OB-6 both sound Awesome in person, can't lose with either one!

Novem

There is no distortion button on the OB-6. It's a hidden function in the effects section. It's described on page 33 of the manual:

1. Press and hold the EFFECT button.
2. Turn the MIX knob to set the distortion amount.
3. Release the EFFECT button.

Novem

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:14:34 PM »
Yes, I did read that in the manual..but is the distortion analog like on the Prophet 6? Or is it a DSP?

N.

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 11:23:31 PM »
Yes, I did read that in the manual..but is the distortion analog like on the Prophet 6? Or is it a DSP?

N.

Same page: "The OB-6 provides an analog distortion effect." So I would strongly assume that it's the same that has been used in the Prophet-6.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 07:20:17 AM »
same as in the p6

Novem

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 09:23:16 PM »
I thought it was the same, I went with the Prophet 6..it's what I was hoping for since I never had a chance to own a Prophet 5. It's a lot heavier than I thought it would be!

Shaw

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 02:05:46 PM »

N.

Same page: "The OB-6 provides an analog distortion effect." So I would strongly assume that it's the same that has been used in the Prophet-6.

I wonder why they didn't just add a damned dedicated distortion knob?

Just saying...

Cheers!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 03:47:33 PM »
Th real reason is because Tom didn't want distortion at all since none of his other products had it. We love it and think it's a great sound design tool so we snuck it in.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Shaw

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 04:25:44 PM »
Th real reason is because Tom didn't want distortion at all since none of his other products had it. We love it and think it's a great sound design tool so we snuck it in.

That's the best answer I've ever heard.   ;)

Cheers!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 07:58:07 AM »

Sneaky :) Did Tom notice it yet? I have to say, personally I'm not missing a dedicated distortion button, this thing sounds so dense that I rarely find myself using the distortion at all.

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 10:23:38 AM »

Sneaky :) Did Tom notice it yet? I have to say, personally I'm not missing a dedicated distortion button, this thing sounds so dense that I rarely find myself using the distortion at all.

.... because the distortion knob isn't staring you in the face.

:)

Cheers!

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 09:03:10 PM »
Anybody know if the distortion is inserted before the effects or after? Most of the time it sounds like before, but there are some odd artifacts in combo with some effects.

DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 09:26:23 PM »
Anybody know if the distortion is inserted before the effects or after? Most of the time it sounds like before, but there are some odd artifacts in combo with some effects.

Since it's described as an analog effect, one would assume that it's inserted before the digital effects.

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »
The branch that feeds the codec for the digital effects is taken just after the output of the stereo analog distortion.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 05:24:14 PM »
I hardly ever use it. When I do, I don't turn it up much more then 8-16. I don't like it much past 12 to be honest. I'm glad it's there though. I like the distortion on the Rev 2 much better for basic tone and being slightly more flexible.

Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 02:54:50 AM »
The branch that feeds the codec for the digital effects is taken just after the output of the stereo analog distortion.

I didn’t get chance to try that particular feature out last week as I didn’t know it was there. Does it take up one of the effects slots or does it manage to work in addition to them both?

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 07:20:56 AM »
It works in addition to the two effects.

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 03:39:53 PM »
It works in addition to the two effects.

Cool!

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 05:35:28 PM »
I really like the distortion for 'edgy' Bass and Lead sounds. It is very much like the <Drive> knob on many other synths.
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments